Xbox Series X | S

4 minutes ago, tnman said:

Isn’t Series S a slightly souped up One X for Velocity architecture purposes?

Thats how I’d mark it for performance purposes.

I don't think it's straight forward. It has less RAM and has 4 teraflops of GPU compute performance (vs 6 on the One X), but that is 4Tf of more efficient GPU. It also has support for hardware accelerated RT.

CPU, SSD and RAM speed blow the One X away, though.

I'm not sure I'd be advocating one for people who already own a One X, though. More of a sidegrade than an upgrade, and you'll get worse BC in the majority of cases.

My two pence, is that the marketing focus has absolutely been on the Series X as it's the one that early adopters are most likely to pick up. 

That's their focus right now, the series S is for a wider audience and that will be a longer game. 

I kinda think Sony do this with their machines but sequentially, traditionally. The design of the initial version of a new PlayStation is often very exotic and provocative in looks - often appealing to that early adopter market - with the "slim" redesign a couple years down the line being way more conservative in looks, probably with more mass market appeal. 

14 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Given the complete lack of next gen exclusives, you'd be better off playing on an Xbox One X for BC titles as the BC optimisations on One X are better than what you will get on the Series S which gets the BC version for One S.

At least you’ve got Godfall as a next gen exclusive.

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't think it's straight forward. It has less RAM and has 4 teraflops of GPU compute performance (vs 6 on the One X), but that is 4Tf of more efficient GPU. It also has support for hardware accelerated RT.

CPU, SSD and RAM speed blow the One X away, though.

I'm not sure I'd be advocating one for people who already own a One X, though. More of a sidegrade than an upgrade, and you'll get worse BC in the majority of cases.

It's all well and good supporting hardware accelerated RT but I cant see anything using RT on the Series S unless it's running at 480p.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Just shut up gooner. It's tiresome.

I'm not even on a wind up here, look at Control on the PC, to get high end graphics effects and ray tracing it runs at 720p using DLSS to upscale or the FPS tanks, the Series S is not the machine to buy if you're expecting to play next gen games with ray tracing etc just at a lower res, it wont scale like that, they will make more sacrifices than resolution.

3 hours ago, Pockets said:

It’s odd that the S, positioned as the option for people less bothered by performance, has the most people frothing for performance info. 

I don’t really get it. It’s like the 1080/1440 version of the X 4K for people who aren’t arsed by or don’t have 4K TVs. I thought that was known.  

Given how things are nowadays in the industry I don't think it's odd at all that people paying money for a console want some concrete hands-on information about that console prior to buying it (other than the polished marketing material by the company selling it). It's been brought up plenty of times already, but there is a big difference between a company making an advert and saying "look at our amazing our new thing is" and then actually what that means in the real world. I'm not suggesting MS are lying about the things they have shown, but how the performance differences come out in the wash across the board is still a bit sketchy.

Granted I agree that the Series X is the main machine they are pushing and the one that early adopters are likely to go for, but I don't think that is mutually exclusive to providing some good information about the sister product even if it's the long game. However in my case I have the PS5 and Series S on preorder and I'm wobbling on the S as it stands which is a shame as I really like the idea of it, however I just don't want to drop £250 on it and then find out actually I should just wait for the X. I know people have said "it wasn't due to be announced until now"... that's fine, but it was announced and it is going on sale.

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure I'm an edge case but I just don't get why after being so open about the Series X they have decided to shut up shop so much about the Series S. Unless something is cleared up by Saturday (ish) I think I'm probably going to duck out and maybe come back to Xbox again sometime later in 2021.

Just now, FiveFootNinja said:

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure I'm an edge case but I just don't get why after being so open about the Series X they have decided to shut up shop so much about the Series S. Unless something is cleared up by Saturday (ish) I think I'm probably going to duck out and maybe come back to Xbox again sometime later in 2021.

When BMW launch a new 3 Series, they don't give Top Gear the four cylinder 1.8 version to hoon around the track.

2 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Given how things are nowadays in the industry a I don't think it's odd at all that people paying money for a console want some concrete hands-on information about that console prior to buying it (other than the polished marketing material by the company selling it). It's been brought up plenty of times already, but there is a big difference between a company making an advert and saying "look at our amazing our new thing us" and then actually what that means in the real world. I'm not suggesting MS are lying about the things they have shown, but how the performance differences come out in the wash across the board is still a bit sketchy.

Granted I agree that the Series X is the main machine they are pushing and the one that early adopters are likely to go for, but I don't think that is mutually exclusive to providing some good information about the sister product even if it's the long game. However in my case I have the PS5 and Series S on preorder and I'm wobbling on the S as it stands which is a shame as I really like the idea of it, however I just don't want to drop £250 on it and then find out actually I should just wait for the X. I know people have said "it wasn't due to be announced until now"... that's fine, but it was announced and it is going on sale.

For some reason all the embargoes seem to lift on a Tuesday, so might be worth holding out until then.

Journos definitely seem to have the S, so the information is coming at some point.

46 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'm not even on a wind up here, look at Control on the PC, to get high end graphics effects and ray tracing it runs at 720p using DLSS to upscale or the FPS tanks, the Series S is not the machine to buy if you're expecting to play next gen games with ray tracing etc just at a lower res, it wont scale like that, they will make more sacrifices than resolution.

"You can't just have all the graphics at a lower resolution, it doesn't work like that!" *cites a game running at lower resolution in order to have all the graphics*

9 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

:hat: My thoughts exactly.

I just used the "ignore" feature of this forum for the second time. 

26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

For some reason all the embargoes seem to lift on a Tuesday, so might be worth holding out until then.

Embargo on the retail units of the Series S and X is lifting today at 1 PM BST / 2PM CET. Not sure if it is just an "unboxing" embargo or full. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

"You can't just have all the graphics at a lower resolution, it doesn't work like that!" *cites a game running at lower resolution in order to have all the graphics*

But Control utilises DLSS that means it's rendering natively at a much lower resolution but being upscaled (sometimes to better effect than native) due to Nvidia's AI, the Xbox Series X, Series S and PS5 do not have DLSS.

8 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I just used the "ignore" feature of this forum for the second time.

Is that all? This thread has had me hitting it more than ever. There's just so many trolls it's stupid.

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Is that all? This thread has had me hitting it more than ever. There's just so many trolls it's stupid.

In general I don't like blocking people since some discours in society/forums is healthy and not everyone has to think or act like me. However when it just endless trolling and flaming I see no other option. And some people just don't take up the hints of other community members to tone it down. 

10 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

But Control utilises DLSS that means it's rendering natively at a much lower resolution but being upscaled (sometimes to better effect than native) due to Nvidia's AI, the Xbox Series X, Series S and PS5 do not have DLSS.

Quantum Break used image reconstruction from a 720p image on the base Xbox One and produced some interesting results. DLSS is not the only temporal upscaling technique out there. We may well find out about whether RDNA2 supports something similar later today.

I don't think anyone except developers currently working on games for it know whether or not Xbox Series S games will support RT. Personally, I think it's probably going to be unlikely or very sparing use. But your need to jump in on a comment that about the hardware supporting it, to make a declarative statement that you don't have any actual knowledge regarding, which happens to confirm your own biases, is pretty tedious.

PS5 wins because fill rate. Xbox Series S is a toaster. Your dad can beat up our dads. We get it.

56 minutes ago, Plissken said:

When BMW launch a new 3 Series, they don't give Top Gear the four cylinder 1.8 version to hoon around the track.

True, but Autocar magazine would get one to quietly talk about the road noise and fuel economy for boring people that care about it. :lol:

Silly TV question, I'm not sure if my TV can do 120fps. If it's only 60hz will picking the 120 option in games actually do anything to make it seem smoother? 

Would enabling that "smooth motion plus" do anything to increase frames? 

The Samsung site lists the TV as having a motion rate of 100 whatever that means, nothing about hz. 

Earlier this week I got a chance to speak with Jason Ronald, The Director of Program Management for the Platform Team at Xbox. We discuss the next generation features of the Xbox Series X|S including the Velocity Architecture, faster load times, the quick resume feature and why the Series S will not be a bottle neck for future game development

I'm about half way through this and am enjoying it. Starts with Velocity Architecture, then asks what they're going to do about burning people's homes down, then moves onto if the Series S is going to ruin the generation.

(Jason Ronald is Xbox's Mark Cerny, basically. The one with the big beard).

18 hours ago, footle said:

Boozy was taking the piss. All the leaked price/promo stuff had both consoles, they’d recorded all the preamble stuff for release in September and booked in slots for journos then.

You say that though.

image.png.a5345b0b6a5ed268a2a2ff959a5080a4.png

This is the final retail box, I know because I have one.  They've specifically not mentioned the S.

Gonna confuse some people.

43 minutes ago, Ry said:

Silly TV question, I'm not sure if my TV can do 120fps. If it's only 60hz will picking the 120 option in games actually do anything to make it seem smoother?

You won't even see a 120fps option unless your Xbox is setup to use your TV's 120Hz mode, which again you won't be able to enable if your TV doesn't support it.

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

This is the final retail box, I know because I have one.  They've specifically not mentioned the S.

Well you can't play a disc game on the Series S so that's why it's not mentioned!

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic