Xbox Series X | S

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Did you not play the first? It's fuckig rad.

Couldn't get into the art style, except the moon from Majora's Mask looking awesome. My favourite game ever is Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 but would have to hand in my gamer pass if I said that out loud.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I'm not following, what's the thing here? 

The "full RDNA2" thing? Pretty sure MS are leaning on semantics with this one, but as they aren't specific it's hard to tell. Although perhaps their lack of specificity is in itself telling.

To give an example of what I mean, the PS5 doesn't support Mesh Shaders but has Sony's equivalent in its Geometry Engine. Who knows if either feature is better or they're effectively the same, but it's still technically an RDNA2 feature that the PS5 doesn't have.

1 minute ago, sofasurfer said:

They missed a trick that it wasn't just full of Mountain Dew and Doritos.

it was full of monster, the modern day mountain dew lol

28 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

No it's not launching without exclusives.

• It launches with Gears Tactics (exclusive)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (timed exclusive for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese, = most of the world)
  • It is launching with Tetris Effect Connected (exclusive, the original game doesn't have multiplayer or co-op)

So that's already 3 exclusives for you right there. 

Only a PlayStation game can apparently call itself an exclusive even if it has a PS4 version or PC version (e.g. Death Stranding, Final Fantasy XVI).

ooh cool didn’t realise they were here for launch. 

The lack of a big exclusive game is undoubtedly a bummer as I'm now  spending €499 where I'm mainly looking forward to having a modern feeling Xbox thanks to that SSD loveliness. 

I am looking forward to that loveliness though. Fuck load times. 

27 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Thanks for sharing this. 

I absolutely hate the times we live in. Social media has turned us into monsters.... feeling entitled to everything, never happy, never satisfied. Always wanting more, bigger, not today but yesterday. 

If you just consider:

• That you get the equivalent of a $1500 PC in a $399/499 console depending on which platform you buy
  • With features that don't exist on PC (e.g. quick resume, direct storage access)
  • With massive BC libraries that we all complained about not having in previous generations.... making almost all our purchases since the launch of the original Xbox 20 years ago up till today available to us with massive upgrades and improvements
  • Many of the popular multiplayer titles are now seeing cross-play so we can play together across platforms
  • We can subscribe to Game Pass for $10/month and get basically unlimited games, from indies to AAA games, that we can play across multiple generations, on PC and on mobile devices
  • Most of our purchases from Microsoft can now be played on both PC and Xbox at no cost, and progression will sync so we can play wherever we want, at any time, even on our mobile phones using Xcloud. Yet this is a problem now because "It's not exclusive, I can play it on PC... meh".

And yet with all of this awesomeness... some of you still manage to endlessly complain about what you DON'T HAVE. Ffs focus on what you DO HAVE, what you DO GET, and what you WILL BE GETTING. Microsoft has 23 studios working on like 50+ games that will come out in the next 2-3 years.

I repeat: never has there been a better, more awesome and more affordable time to be a gamer. Although my memories of the early days are colored and that time will unfortunately never come back.... when we were in shock and awe, and had to save up for a year to buy 1 fricking cartridge which we would then play for a year while we're saving up for the next one, swapping cartridges with friends because we could not afford to buy 1 more. 

You know what my problem is? Not having enough time to play everything that I want to play!

It is proven once more... times of excess make people unhappy. We have everything and are happy with nothing.

Speak for yourself, I’m proper excited for the Series X, just as I will be when I finally get around to getting a PS5. I can’t bloody wait!

3 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

All the games except that kinect shit.

Official notice. Child of Eden can be played with a controller. Save Eden. Save Lumi.

35 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

...and had to save up for a year to buy 1 fricking cartridge which we would then play for a year...

In fairness you could argue Sony are leaning into this historical view a little too much this time ;) 

I agree with you though, it's a great time to be a gamer if you are objective about it. Console launches always always blur objectivity though.

Personally I'm hyped for both, especially as things start to unfold down the line.

10 minutes ago, bear said:

The lack of a big exclusive game is undoubtedly a bummer as I'm now  spending €499 where I'm mainly looking forward to having a modern feeling Xbox thanks to that SSD loveliness. 

I am looking forward to that loveliness though. Fuck load times. 

These optimized Microsoft first party titles should still give you that feeling:

• Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) + DLC incoming in December
  • Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 

I respect Microsoft for keeping their flagship titles up to date for newer generations. Wouldn't be surprised if they do this for more games, an optimized Halo: MCC was also announced for December. 

1 minute ago, Flub said:

Official notice. Child of Eden can be played with a controller. Save Eden. Save Lumi.

I bought that game for €5 the other day. The only game from my demi-god creator Tetsuya Mizuguchi which I couldn't play last generation. 

7 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Personally I'm hyped for both, especially as things start to unfold.

I am planning to jump into PlayStation 5 mid-generation depending on how things pan out. And when the technology is mature I might just stream those games over 12G or Terabit broadband. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Yeah, but they’re the wrong type of exclusives.

It’s kind of like when people moan about multiple gears of war and then orgasm over Uncharted 4. Or the latest god of war (but guys, it’s all one continuous camera shot!)*

play whatever is fun. Hopefully everyone gets to play something fun on their launch console.  This weird need to play a game that the competitor won’t be able to play on their launch console is a bit of an odd one.   Me, I’m looking forward to Tetris effect on game pass, geometry wars in hdr and demons souls in 60fps.  Because they’ll be fun. 

*I’m enjoying them but hopefully no more in the series. 

42 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I am planning to jump into PlayStation 5 mid-generation depending on how things pan out. And when the technology is mature I might just stream those games over 12G or Terabit broadband. 

You really are a MaNFRoMToMoRRoW, eh

Speaking on a conference call after the game's delay to December 10 (reported by Pap Business), CD Projekt CEO Adam Kicinski explained that there would be no further delays, and that this most recent push back was a different situation to previous release date changes. "The game for PC is ready and plays well on next-gen consoles and the company is finalizing the process concerning current gen consoles."

That suggests that current-gen console performance was the reason for the delay - something IGN has heard independently from sources close to CD Projekt Red.

This implies we're getting the next-generation version of CyberPunk 2077 at launch on the 10th of December?

5 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

This implies we're getting the next-generation version of CyberPunk 2077 at launch on the 10th of December?

No, just that under BC they run fine.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Does Gooner just blatantly make shit up then? It’s all a bit over my head, but he was saying the other day that PS5 was RDNA2 and Series X was only RDNA1.7

If a bear shits in the woods and there’s no one there to see it, is pixel fill rate still a thing?

17 minutes ago, footle said:

is pixel fill rate still a thing?

Such a weird hill for somebody to go and die on.

4k @ 120Hz has a basic fill rate requirement of just under 1GPix/s. Obviously you have other stuff going on which will bump up the requirement a bit. The XSX GPU has a fill rate of 116Gpix/s (if it has 64 ROPS, looking at how the cards announced today are put together this could end up being 80). You are never ever going to even get close to worrying fill rate limits on a modern high end GPU.

Which console was it a while ago that was going on and on about having the nicest pixels, not just the most of them? Was that the Xbox One? And even that wasn't a fill rate issue, that was how many shaders it had or something.

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Which console was it a while ago that was going on and on about having the nicest pixels, not just the most of them? Was that the Xbox One? And even that wasn't a fill rate issue, that was how many shaders it had or something.

Xbox one X. 

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Ah, so it was more of a "these aren't just the most pixels, these are the best pixels" thing.

Hand crafted by our artisan shader units and fed only the finest free range memory bandwidth.

10 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

These optimized Microsoft first party titles should still give you that feeling:

• Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) + DLC incoming in December
  • Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 

I respect Microsoft for keeping their flagship titles up to date for newer generations. Wouldn't be surprised if they do this for more games, an optimized Halo: MCC was also announced for December. 

I bought that game for €5 the other day. The only game from my demi-god creator Tetsuya Mizuguchi which I couldn't play last generation. 

is Ori being enhanced? I’ve not played it yet and it would be a great time to jump in.

This is probably how a console launch should be for me. Not adding to my pile of shame but enhancing what I always go back to :lol: 

I am still umming and ahhing over the £££ (Series X) but I have absolutely rinsed my Xbox One, especially since 2016 thanks to my Xbox buddies :wub: so I know I will get my use from it.

10 hours ago, layten said:

Such a weird hill for somebody to go and die on.

4k @ 120Hz has a basic fill rate requirement of just under 1GPix/s. Obviously you have other stuff going on which will bump up the requirement a bit. The XSX GPU has a fill rate of 116Gpix/s (if it has 64 ROPS, looking at how the cards announced today are put together this could end up being 80). You are never ever going to even get close to worrying fill rate limits on a modern high end GPU.

It's almost as if he found a number in the PS5 specs list on his notepad that was higher than the number on the XsX specs list, and then suddenly that number was coincidentally also the most important number of all the numbers.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic