Xbox Series X | S

Just a heads up that for those thinking about buying Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. It’s apparently been confirmed by Ubisoft that the Series S/X version of the game will just be the Xbox One version running at 4K/60fps with no added next gen sauce at all. 

Just now, Fully Aspel said:

Just a heads up that for those thinking about buying Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. It’s apparently been confirmed by Ubisoft that the Series S/X version of the game will just be the Xbox One version running at 4K/60fps with no added next gen sauce at all. 

Seriously? so the PS5 version will just be the PS4 version at 4k/60, what a shit show from Ubisoft.

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

Seriously? so the PS5 version will just be the PS4 version at 4k/60, what a shit show from Ubisoft.

Yep, apparently that’s the case. The only advantage will be the PS5 version will have faster load times than the other versions. Explains why the YouTube footage was all over the place and why Ubisoft announced Watchdogs Legion as 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing and Assassin’s Creed as just 4K/60fps when the PC version is 4K/30fps. Proper shite!

2 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Yep, apparently that’s the case. The only advantage will be the PS5 version will have faster load times than the other versions. Explains why the YouTube footage was all over the place and why Ubisoft announced Watchdogs Legion as 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing and Assassin’s Creed as just 4K/60fps when the PC version is 4K/30fps. Proper shite!

They need to move away from such large open worlds for AC imo, i think a wide linear game in the series could breathe fresh life into it, at this point, it's just what we've all played before and it wont even offer anything different visually.

Xbox Series X | S: Take in the mysterious Northern Lights of Norway or the majesty of England’s Stonehenge in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second on Xbox Series X. Thanks to the collaboration between the game team and Microsoft to implement Xbox Velocity Architecture and DirectStorage API on Xbox Series X | S, you can take full advantage of faster loading speeds for more play time, and a smoother and more powerful experience. With Smart Delivery you can purchase an Xbox One X version of the game and you’ll be able to upgrade at no extra cost when you get your new Xbox Series X | S*.

That's the description from Ubisofts article about their next-gen games. No confirmation it's simply the Xboxone version running at 4K/60. 

3 minutes ago, bear said:

That's the description from Ubisofts article about their next-gen games. No confirmation it's simply the Xboxone version running at 4K/60. 

As far as I’m aware they’ve announced the PC version as 4K/30fps and already said that the console versions of Assassin’s Creed will be 4K/60fps and not have Ray Tracing.

Let’s face it, if they’re not shouting about the next gen features in their own publicity......plus they’ve not released any official next gen console footage (yet there is loads of really bad footage that has frame rate problems on YouTube), and it’s gone gold and is a matter of days away from launch then, well.......it doesn’t look good! 

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/24pOdAVM0hnCzWWFiXxPga/ubisoft-on-the-next-generation-of-consoles-get-the-details?isSso=true&connectSsoId=u8BWDMQ7ICxYYMUAG2OrnV2aiHejzbbCe9eA45767B8%3D&refreshStatus=ok

If people are that desperate to get worked up about something then I'd look at their description of ray tracing in Watch Dogs. 

"Hardware accelerated ray tracing" for Xbox Series S/X. "Raytracing" for PS5. Must mean the PS5 doesn't do hardware ray tracing. Or its just a PR puff piece.

Xbox Series X | S: The near-future London of Watch Dogs: Legion will fully benefit from the hardware accelerated raytracing of the new Xbox Series X | S; from Piccadilly Circus and its giant digital screens, to Camden High Street’s neon lights and holograms, the power of real-time ray traced reflections brings a never seen before level of realism to an urban playground. Early collaboration between Microsoft and the game teams allows the game to unlock the power of Xbox DirectStorage, meaning loading times have been massively reduced allowing for smoother world traversal and faster loading times than ever before. Upgrade from an Xbox One X copy of the game to the Xbox Series X | S* version with Xbox’s Smart Delivery technology at no extra cost.

PlayStation 5Ray tracing on PlayStation 5 will immerse players in a city full of digital screens, holograms, and neon lights, while players can also take advantage of the Tempest 3D Audio engine to bring London to life by hearing every passing car, talking pedestrian, or drone flying overhead. Thanks to the ultra-high speed SSD, loading times will be dramatically reduced, allowing for even quicker fast-travel and seamless high-speed drives across London. Adaptive triggers enable players to enjoy hand-tuned responses, elevating the visceral feeling of high-tension moments. And lastly, you can upgrade your PlayStation 4 copy of the game to the PlayStation 5** version at no additional cost.

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I wouldn’t expect a pad has anything like 5/6 years - remember the product could have a reasonable life less than a year under statutory rights... pretty sure during the ps4 pad fiasco the guidance was not backing up the consumer outside theb1 year warranty.

I have pads that are 25 years old and work perfectly. Must be said that some of the parts on most recent pads seem a bit shit. Is everyone is using the same cheap supplier for their analogue sticks?

2 minutes ago, bear said:

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/24pOdAVM0hnCzWWFiXxPga/ubisoft-on-the-next-generation-of-consoles-get-the-details?isSso=true&connectSsoId=u8BWDMQ7ICxYYMUAG2OrnV2aiHejzbbCe9eA45767B8%3D&refreshStatus=ok

If people are that desperate to get worked up about something then I'd look at their description of ray tracing in Watch Dogs. 

"Hardware accelerated ray tracing" for Xbox Series S/X. "Raytracing" for PS5. Must mean the PS5 doesn't do hardware ray tracing. Or its just a PR puff piece.

Just giving people a heads up dude. Think a lot of people would be pissed if they forked out expecting some insane next gen game and they just get a slightly upgraded current gen version. Maybe, just maybe, that won’t be the case, but it’s now looking like a strong possibility.

8 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Xbox Series X | S: The near-future London of Watch Dogs: Legion will fully benefit from the hardware accelerated raytracing of the new Xbox Series X | S; from Piccadilly Circus and its giant digital screens, to Camden High Street’s neon lights and holograms, the power of real-time ray traced reflections brings a never seen before level of realism to an urban playground. Early collaboration between Microsoft and the game teams allows the game to unlock the power of Xbox DirectStorage, meaning loading times have been massively reduced allowing for smoother world traversal and faster loading times than ever before. Upgrade from an Xbox One X copy of the game to the Xbox Series X | S* version with Xbox’s Smart Delivery technology at no extra cost.

PlayStation 5Ray tracing on PlayStation 5 will immerse players in a city full of digital screens, holograms, and neon lights, while players can also take advantage of the Tempest 3D Audio engine to bring London to life by hearing every passing car, talking pedestrian, or drone flying overhead. Thanks to the ultra-high speed SSD, loading times will be dramatically reduced, allowing for even quicker fast-travel and seamless high-speed drives across London. Adaptive triggers enable players to enjoy hand-tuned responses, elevating the visceral feeling of high-tension moments. And lastly, you can upgrade your PlayStation 4 copy of the game to the PlayStation 5** version at no additional cost.

That's the bit I was talking about alright. I'm sure there's multiple videos up on YouTube right now talking about how the wording Ubisoft used there is concrete evidence that PS5 ray tracing is a load of rubbish compared to the Xbox. 

Based on how good looking Odyssey seemed to be on the One X and PS4 Pro then Valhalla running at 4K/60 on next gen will probably be a very good looking game. 

Gooner and Aspel, together at last as team Genuine Concerns.

I’m actually surprised if Ubisoft manage to get close to a locked 4K/60 running anything. I’m not even really expecting Valhalla to manage it running on a 3080/5950X.

(of course it’s the Xbox One X version running at a higher framerate: have you seen the sheer quantity of bespoke assets they put in these things?)

10 minutes ago, footle said:

Gooner and Aspel, together at last as team Genuine Concerns.

I’m actually surprised if Ubisoft manage to get close to a locked 4K/60 running anything. I’m not even really expecting Valhalla to manage it running on a 3080/5950X.

(of course it’s the Xbox One X version running at a higher framerate: have you seen the sheer quantity of bespoke assets they put in these things?)

Is it Shark week youth? You seem a bit touchy! Lol. As I’ve said, just giving people a heads up.

Have I seen the bespoke assets? No, but I’ve seen the ropey footage on YouTube that has a proper shite frame rate and cloth physics out of a PS2 era game! 

6 hours ago, Chooch said:

Is there a consensus on which of the 3D audio formats on Xbox is best? 

As someone with a home theatre speaker system they spent too much on with a full atmos set up. That's 7.2.4 or Front LR, Center, Side LR, Rear LR, Front Atmos LR, Rear Atmos LR and 2 sub woofers ( I had one spare). The Atmos app is free you only pay for headphones and it's pretty spectacular in the games that use it but there is a more noticiable lag when playing music games so it's uncompressed for those and Atmos otherwise.

I guess everyone else is sensible with money and used headphones.

3 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Pretty sure that’s what most people were expecting. A pretty assassins creed game running at a better res and frame rate than previous. Ray tracing is gonna take a while to get going properly. 

2 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Just giving people a heads up dude. Think a lot of people would be pissed if they forked out expecting some insane next gen game and they just get a slightly upgraded current gen version. Maybe, just maybe, that won’t be the case, but it’s now looking like a strong possibility.

Cast your memory back to AC Black Flag and how much it looked like last gen in high resolution. Not as remotely good looking as Origin or Odyssey. 

That's Valhalla, probably. 

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

That's Valhalla, probably. 

You can tell from the trailers and footage that they released that this game was rushed out of the door.

• Developed in middle of Covid-19 crisis
  • Lost game director and some overall Ubisoft directors due to #metoo scandal

It should probably have been delayed like these games

I am personally not a fan of Ubisoft games. All too generic, too much use of cliche tropes, bloated gameplay, bad voice acting, bad character animation... the only thing they do wonderfully well is picking the settings for their games, they always make me want to play their games even while I know the gameplay loop will suck (for my liking that is, each to their own). I honestly cannot remember the last Ubisoft game I enjoyed, it probably was Valiant Hearts. 

Pre order cancelled.

Truth be told I'm not excited. What will I play first on the X ? I have no idea. Certainly there's nothing I'm anticipating to be a revelatory moment that justifies the purchase. 

It'll be interesting to go through the back catalogue and try out a ton of games to see if I can spot the difference, but I'm fairly non plussed about the launch.

A wee bit jealous of the PS5 pad too.

Hype me up....

25 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Pre order cancelled.

Truth be told I'm not excited. What will I play first on the X ? I have no idea. Certainly there's nothing I'm anticipating to be a revelatory moment that justifies the purchase. 

It'll be interesting to go through the back catalogue and try out a ton of games to see if I can spot the difference, but I'm fairly non plussed about the launch.

A wee bit jealous of the PS5 pad too.

We really are in the darkest timeline.

I skipped the mid gen upgrade so 4K and HDR are all new to me so I have the advantage of all my old stuff looking better.

It’s certainly a different launch to what we’re used to but the games will come and hopefully this delay might mean we don’t get the 6 -8 months of game drought we normally have after a launch window. 
 I am slightly jealous of the PS5 Joypad though - the haptic triggers look like a cool idea - I expect everyone will be doing their own version of that within a year though :)

I’m kind of looking at it like Xbox is me catching up with this generation, then I’ll get a PS5 at some point for the next gen feels. Really odd that that’s how things have shaken out but I ain’t mad at it.

I’m looking forward to playing Gears 5, Ass Creed Origins and that Tetris joint...hard not to think of what the launch could have been with a great Ass Creed and Cyberpunk displaying all the shines tho.

9 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Seriously?  Can't be right? 

On 29/10/2020 at 04:17, MNFRMTMRRW said:

No it's not launching without exclusives.

• It is launching with Tetris Effect Connected (exclusive, the original game doesn't have multiplayer or co-op)

Is this correct? I believed all versions of Tetris Effect were being updated to Connected (or possibly as DLC) - is it only Xbox? That’s f**king shite.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic