Xbox Series X | S

1 minute ago, Lovelyman said:

Why are people worried that the series s won't be able to do what Microsoft claim?

Surely they've developed it with exactly the specification that they are advertising?

I think it’s that nobody really knows how that transfers into real world development, so people want to see how games run on it, which is fair enough.

Also, some people have genuine concerns.

25 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Agreed. They had to shift their entire Strat at they did a really good job. 

I buying into Game Pass more than I am buying into the Series X. But I am confident that hardware will do a great job and be competitive versus PlayStation 5 throughout the next-generation. Knowing that I get Halo: Infinite and many other games down the line and it won't cost me a penny extra is all I need right know 

50 minutes ago, KRP said:

For MS to wrestle back the spotlight another acquisition would be good.

They likely will. Word is that they will have some big announcements at the Xbox Launch event on the 9th of November. Early rumors were pointing at a Valve partnership, which I hope means Steam VR for Xbox. I am also think it is very likely that we see gameplay of Halo: Infinite v2, Forza Motorsport and the unveiling of the game from The Initiative. 

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think it’s that nobody really knows how that transfers into real world development, so people want to see how games run on it, which is fair enough.

You won't get a true picture until at least a year in. But Microsoft's 1st party output will probably show you what to expect.

6 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Why are people worried that the series s won't be able to do what Microsoft claim?

Surely they've developed it with exactly the specification that they are advertising?

Because the only point of reference anyone has is similar PC hardware, granted there is no PC GPU with HW RT acceleration that's similar to the Series S GPU, but purely on a compute/rops/memory bus POV saying 'it will do what the Series X does at 4k @ 1440p' does not make sense, so i'd like to see it, I'm not saying it wont, but I cant see how it does, if it can do what MS say then i'll 100% be buying one to replace the Xbox One X

Genuine concern question.

Ignoring the cost, is there any reason for me not to buy a Series X?  Basically, I'm looking to treat myself to a Xmas present and I've long been thinking about the new gen.  I don't have a 4K telly though I might end up with one in 12-18 months.  I've got GPU, I've got a bunch of current games and I've got the budget for an X as I fully expect whatever I get to last the five years that my current Xbox One has.  So given that I'm looking at the long term, a Series X makes sense over a Series S, right?

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

Ignoring the cost, is there any reason for me not to buy a Series X?  Basically, I'm looking to treat myself to a Xmas present and I've long been thinking about the new gen.  I don't have a 4K telly though I might end up with one in 12-18 months.  I've got GPU, I've got a bunch of current games and I've got the budget for an X as I fully expect whatever I get to last the five years that my current Xbox One has.  So given that I'm looking at the long term, a Series X makes sense over a Series S, right?

If you have the money go for the x. Its future proof. Game pass is worth buying an x imo

In case anyone was wondering, I moved the Crunchyroll talk into its own topic, because I could not fathom why the discussion started up in the Xbox Series S/X thread of all places and then why discussion continued but eh rllmuk. ;)

Link below for anyone who wants to continue that conversation in a more appropriate place.

9 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I’m in the same boat but went for an S anyway. I figure it will be years before my telly and AV receiver are replaced with 4K versions and by then there’ll probably be an X2 or whatever anyway. I’m thinking of it like iPhones, I don’t need the latest top of the range model, and by the time this one is showing its age there’ll be newer models to choose from.

That said I realise that’s hardly a compelling argument. There’s no real reason not to buy an X if you won’t miss the extra cost.

GAME just phoned to basically check in with me regarding my Series X instore pre order to reassure all is good and they are doing midnight launch too. I’ll just be popping in on my lunch break on the 10th. Shit just got real! :omg:

30 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I'd totally get the Series X. 

It'll look great on your current TV, play the best versions of Xbox games and you have a disc drive if you still have old discs. 

Upgrading the TV will instantly see a huge jump, and you can do that without having to then upgrade from a Series S to an X. 

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Because I have an S on pre-order but am quite tempted to cancel it and get an X a little further down the line instead if the real world performance on games is significantly better. I've no doubt it'll do what they claim, I'm just not sure what that claim actually means in reality as it isn't a straight X = 4K, S = 1440p comparison because we already know the Series X won't be running 4K for everything if you want smooth performance. So, for example, if a Series X ends up running something at say a silky smooth 60@1440, where does that leave the Series S... 30@1440, 60@1080, 60@1440 with less stuff/shinies turned on, etc...?

Ultimately I have no concerns (genuine or otherwise) that the Series S is a capable little box. I just want to know if it's capable enough for me personally with my setup before the preorder goes through.

@Plissken If you can afford the X then I'd say that is the better investment in the generation overall, especially if you are thinking of it as a long-term choice. The Series S is a fantastic Game Pass focused proposition though if you aren't that bothered about the 4K/finer details of performance though (and is cheaper and looks tons better).

Interesting article on Gears Tactics. Particularly on making it cross generation and performance of Series S vs One X. 

https://www.theverge.com/21528481/gears-tactics-xbox-series-x-s-vs-one-pc-coalition-interview

Gears Tactics will run at 4K / 60fps on the Xbox Series X with a choice of 60 or 30fps for the cinematics — “not for any performance reason but more for just personal taste,” McRae says. The Series S will run the game at 1440p / 60fps, while the One X will have the option for 4K / 30fps or 1440p / 60fps, and the One S is at 1080p / 30fps. McRae says each version is tuned individually for each console beyond simple parameters like resolution. “I look at the hardware, look at all the different settings I have available under the hood in the engine, which is hundreds of things I can tweak and tune or optimize, and then it’s just balancing them all to get the best picture quality and hit a performance target.”

The Series X will obviously run Gears Tactics better than the other consoles, but one big question I had was the relationship between the Xbox One X and Series S versions. The Series S is a next-gen console with similar CPU and SSD advances as the Series X, but unlike the One X, it doesn’t target 4K resolution, despite a GPU that’s roughly comparable in raw power. Given that both consoles can run the game at 1440p / 60fps, with an extra 4K / 30fps option on the One X, which is the better version? 

“That’s a good question — it is better on the Series S,” says McRae. “It’s visually better — same resolution, same frame rate, but the CPU is so much better in the Series S and the Series X that we have a lot more ability to just draw more stuff. Even though the GPU is responsible for drawing, we still have to get it there off the CPU, and on the Xbox One X you’ll see that the visual quality is not quite as high as it is on the Series S in the performance mode.”

I’m really pleased with the amount of games targeting (and presumably largely hitting) 4K/60 out the gate. 

The above set of targets across the ecosystem seems brilliant to me. 

Microsoft store just took the money for my series X, ordered when they first became available. Just in case you have been concerned, as I have, that the order has just been in pending status :-)

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Ignoring the cost, is there any reason for me not to buy a Series X?  

I think getting either console now this side of Christmas may be a bit of a task. 

Had a text from my bank saying they’d declined a payment from Game, it’s for the Series X.  I’ve told my bank it was me.  Does anyone know if I’ll have to manually go and pay now or if they’ll try again. 

EDIT:  Logged in and did it manually!

2 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Now that is how you do an advert!!!

Its good. Only question it doesn’t really answer that people will have is ‘What’s the difference between the two models?’

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic