IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

35 minutes ago, Jolly said:

This is going to be my Gamepass machine. It's going to give me access to an absolute tonne of games for very little money. I reckon there's a very good chance it will have paid for itself within the year. It was too good a deal to pass up, frankly. 

This is the right mindset my friend. 

People forget what really matters and get caught up in these endless dramatizing by the media about what something should be. All framed from a 30-year old perspective. 

People need to refresh their mind a bit. 

PS3 launch games

Blast Factor

Call of Duty 3

Genji: Days of the Blade

Madden NFL 07

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire

NBA 07

NBA 2K7

Need for Speed Carbon

Resistance: Fall of Man

Ridge Racer 7

Tony Hawk's Project 8

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

PS4 launch games

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Battlefield 4

Blacklight Retribution

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Contrast

DC Universe Online

FIFA 14

Flower

Injustice: Gods Among Us -- Ultimate Edition

Just Dance 2014

Killzone Shadow Fall

Knack

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Madden NFL 25

NBA 2k14

Need for Speed Rivals

Resogun

Sound Shapes

Super Motherload

Trine 2: Complete Story

Warframe

Are we really going to argue here that those two extreme successful Sony consoles had a better launch line-up then the Xbox Series S|X? People, and game journalists in particular, really seem to have very rosy memories of console launches. 

I can't wait to receive mine and have much, much more games I look forward to play then that are on the two lists above. 

35 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Can't say that I'm not a little disappointed with some of the S impressions doing the rounds, but I've got to get back in the frame of mind of why I preordered one in the first place. 

This is going to be my Gamepass machine. It's going to give me access to an absolute tonne of games for very little money. I reckon there's a very good chance it will have paid for itself within the year. It was too good a deal to pass up, frankly. 

EDIT: I don't have a One currently either, so that's a whole machine to catch up on. 

I think the reviews I’ve seen have been reviewing it from the wrong angle. It’s mostly hardcore gamers with expensive TV set ups reviewing it as such. One was comparing its performance in a 4K tv. Well, duh, it’s not aimed at people with 4K TVs. Mostly they focus on the difference between the X and S rather than reviewing it in its own right and comparing it to the previous generation. Yes there’s a slight fall in performance, but the fact is that fall wouldn’t be very much perceivable if you had both consoles running on a basic HD tv. If there wasn’t then there would be no need for the X.

For me the performance differences between an Xbox series S and X aren’t worth £200 when I’ve only got a 22” HD TV to play on. The form factor is also a huge bonus living in a space starved bedsit. The article I read linked above  gave a much better account of it than the video reviews have. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/xbox-series-x-s-review-beautiful-powerful-but-whatcha-gonna-play/

My only disappointment is the 500gb ssd. But we all knew that limitation when we ordered it. I’d definitely need an expansion card in the next six months or so. Fingers crossed that they come down. 

In the end you’re getting next gen  performance at an accessible  price. If you’re not into a few bells and whistles and 4K gaming then you should feel confident in your choice. 

5 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

What was the first next-gen PlayStation 4 game to be released? Or what was the first next-gen Switch game to be released? 

Killzone looked very next generation when it came out at the PS4’s launch and whilst the Switch was old tech - playing a full fat Zelda on 24 hour flight to Auz made the experience pretty unique.

Faster load times are nice but not in the same ballpark.

3 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

Still no sign of any email from Argos about my X but at least this has been delivered today

IMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.68021f98b8eb5fc20f2ef389fd574e2f.jpeg

Interesting that the 1tb marking looks to be a sticker. Presumably they'll start printing 2tb ones at some point*...

*and making 2tb cards.  

The x only having one memory card slot puts me off getting a card to some degree, but I think these are hot swappable so if you did want more storage  you could get another card, and it wouldn't be much hassle, I suppose.

I just realised that means an xbox with 3tb of storage costs £900. *faints*

17 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Killzone looked very next generation when it came out at the PS4’s launch and whilst the Switch was old tech - playing a full fat Zelda on 24 hour flight to Auz made the experience pretty unique.

So now all it matters to justify a next gen console is if there are super graphics at launch? Like a Dragon is a much better game than Killzone.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Killzone was glorified tech demo. Extremely dull and boring.

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

It's possible that in two years they'll be making games that won't run satisfactorily to be released on the older hardware at all. I suspect that's what they mean.

This is what people don't get. It's all about the tools. The transitional games are all made in Unreal Engine 4 or proprietary engines. These engines are then upgrade for next-gen or switched to Unreal Engine 5 and that's when you see the full she bang and older console support being dropped. 

But all of this is really the difference between a PC versus console mindset. People who buy new iPhones don't need a next-gen game to go with it, and people who buy a new GPU or CPU also don't need a game to come with it, they want to experience what they have and what comes out in the best possible quality. Microsoft has adopted this approach for the Xbox going forward. Sony and Nintendo are more stuck in the old model... they want you to keep rebuying games over and over again just for a graphical boost every other generation. While on PC and Xbox you're games are automatically improved or when interesting enough, upgraded by Microsoft... for free. 

I prefer that model... but each to their own. 

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is where the decision to go with a proprietary expansion slot becomes a real problem. Sony's (faster) choice of 3rd party SSDs are reaching market and are already cheaper than the Series X expansion drive

A 890 pro is the same price.  Time will tell, but the only custom bit about the Xbox storage is the case.  The interface, controller and NAND chip are off the shelf bits.  All the economies of scale are there. They should be able keep parity with regular SSDs.

Now that the time is itching closer, what have you guys confirmed to be your "Launch haul" for series X? 

I have went a bit mental and picked up these games to play for the first time:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Star Wars Squadrons 

Planet Coaster 

Mafia Definitive Edition

The Falconeer (a good looking exclusive not a cunt is talking about, shocker!) 

NFS Hot Persuit Remastered 

Yakuza Like Dragon

Bright Memory

Not to mention I got 3 years game pass and I'm itching to play over 15 games on that I have not touched yet (Gears Tactics being a big one) 

Yeah, what a shit launch. 

1 minute ago, monkeydog said:

A 890 pro is the same price.  Time will tell, but the only custom bit about the Xbox storage is the case.  The interface, controller and NAND chip are off the shelf bits.  All the economies of scale are there. They should be able keep parity with regular SSDs.

But more importantly:

Sony says its PlayStation 5 can load virtual worlds far faster than ever before, thanks to one of the fastest solid-state drives ever made — but it’s also not a particularly big drive. Sony has confirmed to The Verge that you won’t be able to expand that blazing-fast SSD storage on day one.

While the PS5 features a dedicated internal slot that can theoretically fit standard stick-shaped M.2 SSDs and an easy way to access it, the slot will apparently be disabled out of the box. “[T]his is reserved for a future update,” Sony tells The Verge.

I find this a major oversight from Sony. This means you will be stuck with 664GB at launch. Microsoft is being attacked for offering expensive storage, but Sony currently is offering NO storage expansion at all.

I still plan to buy a PS5 at some point but I do again find the media biased against Xbox. Which is a pity really. 

33 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Had an X for a year or so and the main thing for me was running games at a higher frame rate so enjoyed playing Forza Horizon 4 at 60fps. 4K was an initial lure but the novelty wore off a bit. Realised I preferred having higher framerate over resolution. 

Yeah, frame rate always wins out. 

9 minutes ago, Ry said:

Now that the time is itching closer, what have you guys confirmed to be your "Launch haul" for series X? 

I have the following in mind:

• Tetris: Connected
  • The Falconeer
  • Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order and maybe Squadrons
  • Gears: Tactics
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (but might way for the Ray Tracing upgrade which isn't available at launch)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Child of Eden
  • Ninja Gaiden II
  • Hydro Thunder
  • WRC 9 (under consideration, but waiting to see if Dirt Rally 2.0 gets update)
  • No Mans Sky: Next Generation upgrade

And then soon after:

• Dragon Quest XI
  • Halo: MCC (replay whatever I feel like)
  • The Medium
  • Control: Ultimate Edition (want to see reviews first)
  • CyberPunk 2077
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • Warframe Next-Gen upgrade

BUT HEY, NO GAMES!

14 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

The new WD Black is £204.99 for 1TB.

New games: Tetris Connected; the Destiny 2 expansion are both launch (with the expansion just being the one x version)

actual games: geometry wars 2.

I imagine I’ll be playing Valhalla on PC though, since I have a free copy there.

the series X purchase is really future looking, for when the pc retires back upstairs to the office.

41 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I think the reviews I’ve seen have been reviewing it from the wrong angle. It’s mostly hardcore gamers with expensive TV set ups reviewing it as such. One was comparing its performance in a 4K tv. Well, duh, it’s not aimed at people with 4K TVs. Mostly they focus on the difference between the X and S rather than reviewing it in its own right and comparing it to the previous generation. Yes there’s a slight fall in performance, but the fact is that fall wouldn’t be very much perceivable if you had both consoles running on a basic HD tv. If there wasn’t then there would be no need for the X.

I've been looking at getting a new TV recently and reviews invariably compare against the cutting edge (i.e. OLEDs), so almost anything mid-range tends to be considered average, at best.

But I'm coming from a 12 year old 720p plasma, and I don't want an OLED (too big, more money than I'm prepared to spend). It would be much more useful if reviews could tell me how something compares to what I might be upgrading from (OK, not my TV specifically, but something considered good from a few years ago), rather than the current best-in-class.

Feels quite similar to your comment on the Series S reviews.

56 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Killzone was utter shit - speaking as someone who paid full price for it and Resogun at launch. Utter shit shiny shiny with shit gameplay. Resogun was the best launch game on any platform that gen.

"looked very next gen"? jesus christ Rise of the Robots look good but played like shit. May as well laud "Ryse" as looking nextgen , makes about as much sense.

Launch games are invariably shit  - we buy new gen for new tech ... the games are invariably warmed up last gen tosh with shinies.. Killzone was, Ryse was.

24 minutes ago, Hewson said:

Reviewers suggesting that many consumers might want to hold off til MS’s longer term vision comes to fruition isn’t some mad conspiracy. It actually seems to me to align with a lot of what you say yourself is the Xbox difference. And, of course, we still haven’t seen any reviews for PS5 yet.

I presume reviewers will be saying something similar about PS5 then - wait until the games built for it start to show up.

I know there’s a a couple of games for it at present and the PS+ Collection, but it’s nowhere near as comprehensive as Gamepass.

It seems a bit bonkers to me to think that way, but I also think launching these consoles now, during everything that’s happening feels really premature. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Fair do's! £15 difference and counting, assuming that's PS5 compatible when they get round to certifying.

WD themselves have put out a list of compatible devices with the Black and mentioned the PS5 on it (Sony have yet to confirm that but it looks pretty legit). Also I believe there is a Samsung one 'approved' already but the list isn't out yet. They'll just switch on the port on with a tiny update when it does land. 

@MNFRMTMRRW You're going to get a solid and powerful console to play with a load of games you are looking forward to, it doesn't matter what anyone else (media or otherwise) thinks :) Honestly I've not seen any bias in the reviews I've read/watched, just reasonable criticisms which it is totally cool to disagree with. Try and not let it wind you up or ruin your run up to launch.

3 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

@MNFRMTMRRW You're going to get a solid and powerful console to play with a load of games you are looking forward to, it doesn't matter what anyone else (media or otherwise) thinks :) Honestly I've not seen any bias in the reviews I've read/watched, just reasonable criticisms which it is totally cool to disagree with. Try and not let it wind you up or ruin your run up to launch.

It might have come across like that but I definitely don't feel like that! I just get a bit frustrated with media coverage, but that's more of a general thing. I also don't follow the media that much but with the upcoming launch I have been reading a lot more which reminded me of how much I don't like most media and YouTubers. I personally feel that we get more than ever before, but people still manage to complain about a lack of content or not seeing the system pushed to a 100%. I have 0 doubt and a 100% confidence that Microsoft (and Sony) have engineered beast of machines that punch way above their weight. 

But that feeling will all be over Tuesday after which I will be playing games and go back to my near zero media diet besides maybe Edge and Digital Foundry which I still appreciate a lot after all those years.