Xbox Series X | S

43 minutes ago, Darren said:

I'm not sure what it says about me that when I was racking my brains for a picture related to the number five, the first thing that occurred to me was 5 Star being told they're shit live on children's TV.

It says "You're old, mate".

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Interesting bit of info RE: install size here - Forza Horizon 4 is 10GB smaller on S.

It's depends on the game I think, I read this on the EG review on the S

Meanwhile, it seems not all games will be smaller on the S. Black Ops: Cold War was yesterday announced to be 136GB on both Series X and S - 43GB more than the Xbox One version.

7 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Interesting bit of info RE: install size here - Forza Horizon 4 is 10GB smaller on S.

This isn't a surprise though. No 4k textures means it should be. However the Black Ops Cold War size doesn't surprise me either because given Activisions track record of half arsing things and chugging them out it wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't bother with an S download optimisation.

Time to grab mesen a cuppa and start watching, see if I keep my S pre-order or cancel and wait for the X to come up. I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath.

21 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, her points seem valid too.

Yeah, I found it a nice, to the point overview. Also, as much as it's a point many/all reviews will make, I did appreciate the elegant pith of this line:

When it comes to launch games, the new Xbox is in a unique position, in that it doesn’t have any.

The phrasing just tickled me, A+ reviewing.

8 minutes ago, gospvg said:

It's depends on the game I think, I read this on the EG review on the S

Of course, it can't be 10GB difference on everything - some games would have a minus install size!

Could be a good way of getting around the S' smaller drive if it does work that way.

1438863815_ruhroh.jpg.15c3df616269ecc1e4a0226b75f5420d.jpg

60 fps on Series X, and 30 fps on Series S. In this case, players cannot go into menus and toggle boosts or gains on Series S to claw those frames back. This game was provided to Ars Technica without formal acknowledgement about that difference, and as of press time, its publisher hasn't responded to questions about whether Series S players should expect a 60 fps toggle at any point.

From the Ars Technica review RE: Assassin's Creed Valhalla

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

This isn't a surprise though. No 4k textures means it should be. However the Black Ops Cold War size doesn't surprise me either because given Activisions track record of half arsing things and chugging them out it wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't bother with an S download optimisation.

Time to grab mesen a cuppa and start watching, see if I keep my S pre-order or cancel and wait for the X to come up. I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath.

I think that small of a drop for Forza doesn't bode well for the future of storage on S. With only 360Gb available on S, 70Gb is a lot. 3 or 4 big games right now, with games only getting bigger, may well gimp the Series S too much for me. The other key differentiator for me is 120Hz options compared to the X, which I haven't seen mentioned much yet.

Not surprised to learn that most Series S titles are running at 1080p instead of 1440p; seems developers are trying to keep the same frame rate as the Series X version.

Was surprised that Quick Resume is optional, although surely that’s going to be universally adopted before long. Nobody wants to be the game that’s underplayed versus the competition because it’s a pain to go back to.

I guess we'll have to wait a while but I'd like to see a review from someone outside of the gaming press and their assessment about the whole value pitch MS are making around the Series S and Gamepass. 

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

1438863815_ruhroh.jpg.15c3df616269ecc1e4a0226b75f5420d.jpg

From the Ars Technica review RE: Assassin's Creed Valhalla

30 FPS counts me out... Not that I'm planning to play AC:V any time soon but if that becomes the norm, the S is completely dead in the water.

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

In what sense, a few of the reviews I've seen mention Falconeer and Gears running at 120fps in the modes that support it on the S.

Oh, cool, I'm watching as many reviews as I can, where did you see those?

10 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Of course, it can't be 10GB difference on everything - some games would have a minus install size!

Could be a good way of getting around the S' smaller drive if it does work that way.

There is also the option of external storage but after reading quite a few reviews I'm not interested in the S will get an X instead at some point next year.

12 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

30 FPS counts me out... Not that I'm planning to play AC:V any time soon but if that becomes the norm, the S is completely dead in the water.

You must have played very very few games on the current gen if you insist on 60 fps all the time.

Just now, Ant73 said:

You must have played very very few games on the current gen if you insist on 60 fps all the time.

The point is is that it runs at 60 on the X but not the S. That could be because the patch isn't out yet. Expecting 60 frames on 'next gen' machines isn't unreasonable.