Xbox Series X | S

Just now, Harsin said:

I've put mine into energy saving mode since realising the fans were running 24/7 if you have it on Instant On mode on mine. Half the people complaining in Restera's big troubleshooting thread seem to have complaints related to Instant On. It still boots pretty quick and I really don't like idea of a physical component constantly going in terms of wear and tear, I'll just have to make sure air switch it on in advance for big patches now.

I might do this too. The faster download speeds should negate things not being totally up to date when I jump on. 

Weird - I’ve got mine on instant on and now it’s finished downloading stuff the fan is off - did wonder earlier but it seems to keep going until the machine cools down and then stops entirely unless needed for a download. 

49 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

The fan should not be running unless it’s downloading stuff. 

It's definitely keeps going on mine, it's very faint but if you put your ear near the console you can hear it spinning at a low speed.

I imagine the people saying it stops on their's just haven't got close enough when checking as I doubt mine is exhibiting some unique behaviour.

In Energy Saving mode, the same fan noise is completely absent no matter how close you listen.

I’ve just received an email from Game with a £30 next gen launch offer - it’s not clear if this reduces the title to £30 or gives you £30 discount though. 

It seems it ca only be redeemed against Control: Ultimate Edition, Dirt 5, Marvel’s Avengers or Yakuza: LaD. 

Very odd. Tempted by Control or Yakuza. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’ve just received an email from Game with a £30 next gen launch offer - it’s not clear if this reduces the title to £30 or gives you £30 discount though. 

It seems it ca only be redeemed against Control: Ultimate Edition, Dirt 5, Marvel’s Avengers or Yakuza: LaD. 

Is this specific to you or a code? I am tempted by yakuza lad too... 

29 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Quick Resume is amazing, I had to move the console into another room to position it closer to the router, moved it back to the TV room and was back in a game of Halo CE seconds after it had rebooted. Unbelievably quick.

Gamepass is just incredible, so much I want to try but playing Halo again is just too addictive. A timeless masterpiece.

I'm dying to fire up Halo but I'm holding off until the update next Tuesday:

5 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Is this specific to you or a code? I am tempted by yakuza lad too... 

Sorry I should have said it contains a code. Presumably a ‘thank you’ from Game for buying with them. 

2 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

How can quick resume work if you turn the console off? 

It creates some kind of save state on the SSD or something. You can even unplug the entire machine for days and the quick resume stuff will still work when you plug it back in.

1 hour ago, partious said:

I don't care about 1080 or 1440 vs 4k(I don't have a 4k screen), but I'm a bit worried that series s will end up with a bunch of games running at 30fps vs 60fps on the series x. If the trade off is just resolution I'll happily get the series s.

I expect they will always try and target 60fps. Or at least give the option on the Series S of a performance mode like they have in the past with X. Given its running on the same platform as the Series X with a cut down chipset I think 1080p/1440p @ 60fps should be do-able. 

36 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I tell you what Microsoft's cockamamie naming schemes are going to make troubleshooting via Google a massive pain in the arse.

It was killing me when trying to find out why PC remote play wasn't working. Hopefully it comes soon.

37 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I see, thanks.  Will probably take a while to get out of the habit of religiously quitting everything before shutdown .

Haha yeah, I don't have that habit but I know people who do. Quick Resume is seriously great. I've already been surprised to load up a game I'd played like a day before and 4 games ago to be put right back where I was. 

It is effectively a save state like you'd get in an emulator. 

11 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

This has most likely been asked but anyway. On the first boot up of your new xbox series x did it hang on the xbox logo for a good minute with small light flashes at all?

Yes

7 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Is quick resume activated? Its not working for me at all so far between fifa - cold war - dirt 5 which i have on my console

It's working for me on Tetris Connected for sure. I think games may need to be patched to allow for Quick Resume. @Hitcher has also hypothesised that online games may not be quick resume compatible due to their always online nature.

5 minutes ago, taurusnipple said:

Quick resume wasn’t working on Gears 5 for me last night, working for anybody else? I quit my campaign and left the game at the title screen. Tried a couple of times. Worked with Ori. 

I think Gears 5 is one of the games where it's been temporarily disabled due to a bug. Should be fixed soonish apparently. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Makes the game £30, did you also get the £40 one? I may go for Legion or Cyberpunk for £40 esp as have £7 in game points from the series x console...

Bit of weird one here; I was going through looking for old 360 games to download onto my (bog standard) external storage and for whatever reason I could download a copy of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die to my Series S. I am *certain* (and my purchase history seems to confirm) that I only had it physically and yet...here I am with an apparent digital copy of it running. Have I missed a giveaway or something?

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S