Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

You trollin'? 

Nope. Quick resume reserves something like that to dump the RAM to the SSD. So if the feature is not working yet that space is essentially wasted.

 

1TB = 930GB and 807GB is available. This leaves 123GB for the OS, Quick Resume and probably some cache. OS should be like 10-15GB max since it is a lean install of Windows 10. Xbox Series X has 13.5GB RAM for games... and can hold like 5-6 games comfortably in Quick Resume.... so that's around 80GB based on 6 games.

 

Quote

A Windows 10 install can range from (roughly) 25 to 40 GB depending on the version and flavour of Windows 10 being installed. 

 

Once it works, I am OK with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I turned that off and went back to ECO mode. Although it was a nice feature to have it downloading and installing games whilst I'm away doing something else, the thought of it sucking down that much juice when I'm not using it was a cause for concern. Got a big enough house to warm and power over winter, let alone with something else adding on to the power bills with me not even using it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sea of thieves has had all the series x|s updates and has the badge for that on the icon but it’s installed and plays on my external ssd, it does have another badge on the icon - a left and right arrow on top of each other and I assumed that when I went to load it it was going to tell me to move to internal drive but it loads up fine?!?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be good if you could enable a background downloads mode for a couple of hours after it's turned off and then have it go fully off. That way you could leave it to update (and hope that patches were released on your schedule, admittedly) but not have it on all day, every day.  I guess a timer plug would allow this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm I seem to be able to run my series s patched games from external storage?? I've tested this with a patched Apex Legends and State of Decay 2. Is this normal?

 

Edit: Shimmyhill sorry I missed your post above. Yeah I'm finding this too...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Sea of thieves has had all the series x|s updates and has the badge for that on the icon but it’s installed and plays on my external ssd, it does have another badge on the icon - a left and right arrow on top of each other and I assumed that when I went to load it it was going to tell me to move to internal drive but it loads up fine?!?

 

 


I still can’t figure out what those arrows signify. 
 

On my LG TV when I switch on the Series X it activates game mode on the tele which is fine. Does anybody else’s keep doing this though? Like every time you start a game or change a screen it keeps telling the TV to set game mode?

 

Also, if all that feature does is enable the game preset setting on your TV and you always use that HDMI for Xbox what’s the point? Better to just disable it and ensure game Mode is on manually?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, grungekid said:

Also think it would be good if we had the option to select whether we want the non next gen patched version of games. So if some games had minor tweaks we didn't care about we could have the option to keep them unpatched and run them from external storage instead. 

 

I wish we could. The SX version of planet coaster is fucked. With inconsistent controls, framerates & random crashes when building and saving. Issues were not there on the OneX.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

On my LG TV when I switch on the Series X it activates game mode on the tele which is fine. Does anybody else’s keep doing this though? Like every time you start a game or change a screen it keeps telling the TV to set game mode?

 

Also, if all that feature does is enable the game preset setting on your TV and you always use that HDMI for Xbox what’s the point? Better to just disable it and ensure game Mode is on manually?

 

Anyone who wants to use their Series X for anything other than gaming would probably favour not having game mode on when e.g. watching a blu-ray/Netflix etc. (I'm here assuming the Series X doesn't mistakenly send the Game Mode trigger for those apps).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting DF here on Watch dogs on xbox and it's ray tracing settings.

 

The long and short of it is that the game uses dynamic resolution at drops to 1440p in night scenes. It also uses custom settings below the PC's medium RT settings (there is no low RT setting on PC and now we know why). However thanks to mods and looking at code we know what settings all consoles use for RT and how to put them onto the PC version and lo and behold we have a goos metric for how powerful the Ray tracing is on series X. It's about the same as the 2060 super maybe a little lower.

 Personally that's not too bad on a 450 quid machine. You have what amounts to a good CPU and a mid range GPU.

Also both the PS5 and the series X use exactly the same settings. Pretty much hints at both machines being very close to each other in power.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This might sound daft but here goes...

 

I've a gsync monitor. 1440p at 144hz via DisplayPort however only hdmi 1.4 so maximum refresh rate of 60hz there.

 

Anyway... Does there exist something like an hdmi to DisplayPort adapter that could output at my required 1440p 120hz?

 

It's not the end of the world if not but playing cod on the sofa with the telly, I kinda miss sitting on a chair close to a monitor.

 

Is there such an adapter that anyone knows would potentially work?

 

Oh I should add I'm talking about Series X here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Darren said:


Related to this, being able to see what game(s) are running but not in quick resume would be really handy, as they’re the ones you need to quit to avoid throttling your download speeds.

 

A “quit all games” button would be very handy now that they just hang around open in the background forever (or do they?)

There's only ever one game actively running. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulsemyne said:

The long and short of it is that the game uses dynamic resolution at drops to 1440p in night scenes. It also uses custom settings below the PC's medium RT settings (there is no low RT setting on PC and now we know why). However thanks to mods and looking at code we know what settings all consoles use for RT and how to put them onto the PC version and lo and behold we have a goos metric for how powerful the Ray tracing is on series X. It's about the same as the 2060 super maybe a little lower.

 Personally that's not too bad on a 450 quid machine. You have what amounts to a good CPU and a mid range GPU.

Also both the PS5 and the series X use exactly the same settings. Pretty much hints at both machines being very close to each other in power.

Agreed for machines costing £450 its a pretty damn good deal! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to use a headset like WH-1000XM3's with the XSX? I am just trying to figure out how that would work. If I was playing on my TV downstairs, I could pair it up with my TV and it would be fine. However, my monitor doesn't have that ability so I am looking at other options. I've seen that you can get an audio-out bluetooth adapters, but would that work with just the headset and automatically pairing itself? Anyone have experience doing this?

 

For the time being I am using the audio-out on the controller and a pair of apple wired headphones, but it would be nice to upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tronied said:

Is it possible to use a headset like WH-1000XM3's with the XSX? I am just trying to figure out how that would work. If I was playing on my TV downstairs, I could pair it up with my TV and it would be fine. However, my monitor doesn't have that ability so I am looking at other options. I've seen that you can get an audio-out bluetooth adapters, but would that work with just the headset and automatically pairing itself? Anyone have experience doing this?

 

For the time being I am using the audio-out on the controller and a pair of apple wired headphones, but it would be nice to upgrade.

Probably not.  MS don't usually support anything outside of what they sell as its all proprietary drivers etc. Usual way of using headsets on any of my Xboxes has been through the controller headset jack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 14:37, Duckula said:

Ori 2 in 120fps mode is a great thing to show off the potential of next gen. It looks unreal.

 

I tried this last night and agree that it looks great.  Can I ask, do you see a huge benefit from 120hz?  For me, it is nowhere near as big a jump as from 30 to 60 and I think I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between 60 and 120 (maybe if they were side by side?).

 

The overall effect though of 4K, fluid and stable framerate, big screen (77") and surround sound made it an almost spiritual experience.  It was truly something to behold and moved me more than Gears 5 did for all its bombast.  Tetris Effect had a similar effect to Ori, it provokes something deep inside me...

Link to post
Share on other sites

After trying lots of things out over the last few days it seems I’ve reverted to type and my first Friday night gaming on my £450 next gen console looks like it’s gonna be on The Messenger. It’s what’s grabbed me the most. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dapple said:

Can't you plug the XM3s into the controller, using the lead they come with?

Ah! You are indeed correct. I completely forgot they came with a cable. Yes, in which case I can forgo the wireless aspect and use that instead then. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Simmy said:

This might sound daft but here goes...

 

I've a gsync monitor. 1440p at 144hz via DisplayPort however only hdmi 1.4 so maximum refresh rate of 60hz there.

 

Anyway... Does there exist something like an hdmi to DisplayPort adapter that could output at my required 1440p 120hz?

 

It's not the end of the world if not but playing cod on the sofa with the telly, I kinda miss sitting on a chair close to a monitor.

 

Is there such an adapter that anyone knows would potentially work?

 

Oh I should add I'm talking about Series X here.

 

I have a similar issue. 144hz 1080p monitor that only accepts 60hz on HDMI, while accepting 120hz or 144hz via DisplayPort.

 

I bought this HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and I confirm that it does work on my Series X with 1080p @ 120hz:

 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/club-3d-cac-2330-hdmi-to-displayport-adapter

 

I can't test 1440p, but even if it's only 1080p it at least gives you the 120hz option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.