Xbox Series X | S

7 minutes ago, Billy Brown said:

Has anybody managed to successfully use an original launch Xbox One pad with the Series X? I’ve tried syncing mine up so my son can play local multiplayer. It seems to go through the pairing process successfully but then the inputs do nothing at all. 

Have you plugged it in and updated it?

So different games change settings on my TV. 

For example, I just altered brightness settings whilst playing Fornite and then swapping to AC Valhalla the brightness setting swaps back to what it was before.

Is this normal? The auto picture mode is turned off, though that should only affect picture mode anyway. 

edit: it also does it on the Home Screen as well. A different setting for all 3.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

So different games change settings on my TV. 

For example, I just altered brightness settings whilst playing Fornite and then swapping to AC Valhalla the brightness setting swaps back to what it was before.

Is this normal? The auto picture mode is turned off, though that should only affect picture mode anyway. 

edit: it also does it on the Home Screen as well. A different setting for all 3.

Ah, it appears to be a HDR thing. For all it’s shiny bright glory Fortnite doesn’t actually support HDR.

37 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

And yet the sunsets are some of the best I’ve seen, it looks more HDR than games with HDR!!!

Yeah, I was pretty surprised and wouldn’t even have noticed if I wasn’t messing around with my TV settings.

2 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

The UI menu screen thingy not being in 4K, I’m not mad at it tbh but is there a reason for it and do we think it’ll be patched in at some point?

Im not a fan of the achievements popping in low rez, really stands out on something as beautiful as Gears Tactics.

I think they said it was part of a really aggressive drive to make the dashboard perform quickly and leave as many resources for games as possible. I'm sure that they'll find a way to optimise it further and get 4K in to the same footprint.

2 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

The UI menu screen thingy not being in 4K, I’m not mad at it tbh but is there a reason for it and do we think it’ll be patched in at some point?

Im not a fan of the achievements popping in low rez, really stands out on something as beautiful as Gears Tactics.

MS said it was an added overhead and they wanted as much headroom as possible for games. Could well be a viable reason but I agree it does look a bit jarring. As does some of the game launch button artwork. 

It really doesn’t matter I know but it’s one of the things that Sony have scored higher on in the PR stakes. 

8 minutes ago, denisb said:

So far on my series x I’ve been playing space giraffe , banjo tooie,Tetris, unravel and a bit of FH4 which looks lovely 

Anybody got any next gen recommendation 

Gears 5, I’d say. It looks lovely!

For new releases, Valhalla looks pretty next generation at times. Especially thanks to some lovey animation paired with 60fps goodness. 

39 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think they said it was part of a really aggressive drive to make the dashboard perform quickly and leave as many resources for games as possible. I'm sure that they'll find a way to optimise it further and get 4K in to the same footprint.

Its an odd one as you do notice it but then Sony appear to have gone the other way - gloss but feature incomplete so swings and roundabouts, plenty of bugs and issues with the PS5 dash being reported so both need to have updates but seemingly for different reasons!

Either way as long as they are both fast and functional I’d take that over pretty.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Ah, it appears to be a HDR thing. For all it’s shiny bright glory Fortnite doesn’t actually support HDR.

They're 2 separate modes so you should calibrate using SDR content and then calibrate using HDR content. And don't forget to do the Xbox HDR setting.

53 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Played some more this morning with my 5 year old watching (to start with).

Bit of Forza Horizon 4 which started (apparently) in Quick Resume - didn't think that was working on the game yet? My son saw the LEGO logo and got really excited by the Speed Champion pack. His little head almost exploded when I was driving along underneath a viaduct while the Flying Scotsman steamed overhead - he's train mad!!

Then I showed him Tracks, the wooden train set creator. That's a massive winner for him! Train mad remember.

Then I showed him Tetris. Then I let him play Tetris. His first non-Kindle related gaming experience. I thought it would be Mario or something like that but, no, it was the puzzle classic. It was just :wub:

His hands are a little small to hold the pad quite right but he did pretty well. Got a bit distracted by the sea life in the background though.

We've just been out for a walk and he's asked to watch me play more Forza later. He then asked when I could play the new Spider-Man as he clocked that on the shelf the other day.

I'm. So. Happy!!!

Nice, it’s the wonder in their eyes. I remember with the PS2 my 3 year old would sit next to me on the floor while I played a game, his pad wouldn’t be plugged in but he’d be entranced as if he was playing it :D.  Great memories.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - it’s not flushable.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S