Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Parksey said:

It's been such a confusing day. 

The Bethesda deal will only be finalized in Q1 2021. Until then, Bethesda operates as an independent company without any Microsoft control (but maybe influence e.g. Dishonored 2 not leaving Game Pass last month while it was planned). 

 

So you're looking at Q2 2021 for those games. I hope they will launch with Optimized S|X version for all their major games: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Doom, Doom Eternal, The Eveil Within 2, Wolfenstein (New Order & Young Blood), Dishonored 2, Prey, Rage.... GhostWire Tokyo and DeathLoop can only launch in 2022 due to Sony exclusivity deals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Yes, it works across up to 10 of your Microsoft devices. I bought it this week. There is also the DTS / Headphones X app which works similar. I went for Dolby. 


I use Dolby and tried the trial for DTX. I found DTX too harsh and echoey despite playing round with the settings. 
 

I find Dolby works really well across all the games I play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I’d suggest people bouncing off Gears 5 to stick it out until at least the second act. If you don’t like cover shooters it’s never going to win you over, but thanks to the large variety of new enemies the combat is the most emergent it’s ever been in the series. I found Gears 4 incredibly staid by comparison.

 

Also, as ever, it’s much better in co-op.

 

It's not the enemy variety. It's that it asks a lot of the player, in that you spend a lot of time slow walking listening to dialogue and picking up uninteresting objects. The pacing is horrible.

 

Also, coming straight from a glorious play through of the entire Halo CE campaign which plays absolutely beautifully on the X, it was immediately noticeable how fluid and smoothly that game flows, compared to Gears where you have to press or hold a button for *everything*. Halo completely focusses your attention on the action, but Gears demands unnecessary button presses for everything, worst of all being that you have to HOLD X to collect ammo. In Halo you just hoover up all the ammo and grenades you can carry, Gears it's LONG HOLD to collect ammo, which after a firefight when the floor is littered with stuff is just exhausting. Being forced to swap out of your main weapon for grenades tells you that there are too many buttons mapped to pointless/boring actions in this game. It feels like I'm doing a lot for not much in return because the gunplay itself is only okay, kind of spongey and feels like one of those fairground games where you shoot a water cannon into a clown's mouth.

 

I just couldn't continue with Forza 4. Being introduced to races by a sockless, skinny-jeaned metrosexual twat asking me "do you wanna race, yeah?" was just too much. The entire game is patronising and stinks of marketing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, it’s always been like that. They had throw grenade bound to a single button once (in Judgement) and all the long-time Gears fans complained about it. Taking time to pick up ammo forces you to consider whether it’s worth the risk of coming out of cover to do it.
 

I’m not even a particular Gears fan, I just thought 5 was really quite good. 


As for Forza, you only ever get cutscenes in front on the ‘Story’ content, which is a bit front-loaded but only makes up about 10% of the game. The rest is just pure racing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Taking time to pick up ammo forces you to consider whether it’s worth the risk of coming out of cover to do it.

 

Not really because DAVE fetches everything for you and drops it at your feet.

 

Coming from Wreckfest, where there's no cutscenes or filler, just pure racing, is probably why I'm finding Forza so annoying. I just haven't played anything that is so heavily presented and packaged for a long time. And 10% story is a lot, in a racing game!

 

The Gears grenade decision proves that developers should never listen to their fans.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The Bethesda deal will only be finalized in Q1 2021. Until then, Bethesda operates as an independent company without any Microsoft control (but maybe influence e.g. Dishonored 2 not leaving Game Pass last month while it was planned). 

 

So you're looking at Q2 2021 for those games. I hope they will launch with Optimized S|X version for all their major games: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Doom, Doom Eternal, The Eveil Within 2, Wolfenstein (New Order & Young Blood), Dishonored 2, Prey, Rage.... GhostWire Tokyo and DeathLoop can only launch in 2022 due to Sony exclusivity deals. 

 

Yeah, it's a side note but people never realise how long these things actually take.

 

Like the whole "Take 2 bought Codemasters" thing. At that point they hadn't even submitted a legally formal offer for it, just the board had said they were minded to accept the offer they expected to come.

 

Then all that's going to happen.

 

Then the deal has to actually go through.

 

THEN the companies need to be integrated...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

Not really because DAVE fetches everything for you and drops it at your feet.

 

Coming from Wreckfest, where there's no cutscenes or filler, just pure racing, is probably why I'm finding Forza so annoying. I just haven't played anything that is so heavily presented and packaged for a long time. And 10% story is a lot, in a racing game!

 

The Gears grenade decision proves that developers should never listen to their fans.

 

 

 

They make a game for you, it's Forza Motorsport.

 

Horizon isn't a racing game, it's a game about a festival and the whole life of which racing is a part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I've mostly been playing Crackdown because I didn't realise I had it installed on my One X until I went to transfer its contents to the Series X. Loaded it up to see what it looked like at 4K and ended up messing around in the world for a few hours. Got a few achievements, seven years after I last got some in that game, found one agility orb (just 5 left now, its never going to happen) and around 30 hidden orbs. Great use of a new console. :lol:

 

 

I was enjoying myself though. Made me appreciate some of the Crackdown 3 additions a bit more. I didn't realise how much I liked the ground pound move until it was gone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a really interesting launch for me, so different from previous gens. With every previous gen I've bought my new console and a couple of games and played those to death because, well that is all there is to play, regardless of whether they were any good or not. Even if I had other games left to finish on a previous gen machine they would get left behind as they weren't the new and shiny. With the Series X launch I've not only got more games than I could possible play, because of gamepass but everything that I am playing is still there, and a lot of it looks nicer so I'm just continuing on with it. However it's also given me a kick to try out a lot of games that were on gamepass (which I've had for a while) that I'd held off on such as FH4, and to give others a try again such as Sea of Thieves.

 

It's just so weird to have a new console, and just have a shit load of stuff to play on it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been playing Dead Space 3 in co-op with a friend, something we’d been saying we’d get around to for about six years. Visually it’s scaled quite well despite not being patched, and the auto-HDR looks pretty seamless to my eyes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

It's been a really interesting launch for me, so different from previous gens. With every previous gen I've bought my new console and a couple of games and played those to death because, well that is all there is to play, regardless of whether they were any good or not. Even if I had other games left to finish on a previous gen machine they would get left behind as they weren't the new and shiny. With the Series X launch I've not only got more games than I could possible play, because of gamepass but everything that I am playing is still there, and a lot of it looks nicer so I'm just continuing on with it. However it's also given me a kick to try out a lot of games that were on gamepass (which I've had for a while) that I'd held off on such as FH4, and to give others a try again such as Sea of Thieves.

 

It's just so weird to have a new console, and just have a shit load of stuff to play on it!

 

It is odd for sure. Like the fact its "business as normal" really though. Yes I do like getting new hardware with the changes etc. However from experience once the initial "wow" factor wears off then I usually end up wanting to play a few of my older favourites. This kind of happened when I eventually got a PS4 in Jan 14. Played some Killzone, which was pretty and then some Resogun. But I then wanted to just have a quick go on some last gen titles - racers in particular because there wasn't much available. But I couldn't as they didn't work on the new piece of hardware I just spent £350 on. It felt really underwhelming to be honest. The titles I was looking forward to were in a "launch window". My bad really and to a degrees Sony's as I really wanted DriveClub and thought it would be available in the first quarter 2014. Hence waiting to get a PS4 nearer February 2014.. anyhow I digress :D 

 

So whilst the way MS have done this could be described as a bit lack lustre in terms of the hardware - there are no gimmicks. The controller is functional it works. The box plays games well. Its great to have the additional power and have all the games you love, enhanced. Yes I would have liked a killer title to be released with the system. But I have a couple of racers that I really enjoy from the get go that are constantly evolving (FH4 and FM7) and have had some shinies applied. Tried playing Forza Horizon 2 last night and although I love the location 30fps is just not an option anymore now. Once you've played at the fidelity offered by XSX@60fps (or Xbox One X for hat matter) there is no going back. 

 

For MS this is now all about the software and services as been mentioned before. MS's killer app is Game Pass. This is also why all access exists and they are letting people do the Xbox Gold conversion trick to Game Pass Ultimate. Getting those subscription numbers up, getting the gamers to use their platform as first choice and the go to platform for gaming.

 

Personally I like it. Like being able to boot my PC play an odd game on there, then my Xbox or even my phone. I have a choice of where and what I can continue playing my game on depending on where I am.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up giving Halo 2 a go. It has aged well. I think I'll keep going with it and sack off Gears 5 because I just don't like it.

 

I am excited about ploughing my way through all the games in the Halo series such that I am glad the new one is delayed...gives me time to catch up! 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I ended up giving Halo 2 a go. It has aged well. I think I'll keep going with it and sack off Gears 5 because I just don't like it.

That's the great thing about Gamepass- you don't have to feel guilty about sacking off games- no money wasted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

That looks great. Respectable even! What’s the other white thing that looks like a HomePod?

 

Thanks.  Marques Brownlee said something similar about the PS5 design, in that it will look good in the right sort of contemporary space. 

 

That white thing is a Nest WiFi.  

 

I have the old versions as well (Google WiFi).  I think they work great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thor said:

It's bloody racing game, Dudders, come on! :lol:

Yes indeed it is. I had a race last night in the game. Well it had laps and positions and a course... ergo racing game. 

 

Think it also has the physics model of the motorsport series if you up all the settings - obviously might not be as comprehensive as the FM games.. but its there to tweak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.