Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

Strange question but has anyone found games sometimes stuck in infinite loading loops when running from external drives? I couldn't get either Gears Ultimate or Two Point Hospital to load - they both got as far as the final "Loading..." screen within the game itself then never got any further. Transferred them to the internal drive and they both worked straight away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a draining day today putting the X in my office (where I did intend for it to spend most of its time). Turns out my gaming monitor is only HDMI 1.4. this means that despite 1.4 having more than enough bandwidth for 1080p at 120Hz (my PC does 144Hz at 1080 on that monitor fine) the series X will not push 1080p 120Hz down the cable, insisting the the monitor isn't 4k120Hz compatible, which I know it isn't. Series X also won't do hdr on it for some reason despite the console detecting that the monitor is capable (I've had the PS4 pro do hdr on it fine).

 

My other monitor is only 60Hz and doesn't do hdr but is 4k so not the worst option. The console actually looks amazing on the front room TV at 4k60 with HDR 

 

Looks like I won't be able to run anything on series X at 120Hz for the foreseeable and will be without hdr most of the time.

 

At least I can focus my next monitor purchase on hdmi 2.1, 4k and 120Hz, whenever that will be cheap enough for me.

 

Edit: turns out there might be hope for 1080p 120. I need to mess around turning vrr and freesync off and it might work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having any issues with the face buttons on the new controller not being sensitive enough? I've had a few instances where I've had to press the buttons more than once to select things. And anything that requires the button holding can be a little iffy if you're only holding lightly. I've mostly noticed it on the A and B buttons. Just wondering if it's my controller and I should get it swapped - or if they're all the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, choduk said:

Is anyone else having any issues with the face buttons on the new controller not being sensitive enough? I've had a few instances where I've had to press the buttons more than once to select things. And anything that requires the button holding can be a little iffy if you're only holding lightly. I've mostly noticed it on the A and B buttons. Just wondering if it's my controller and I should get it swapped - or if they're all the same.


The only time I notice anything like that is when adjusting the trim in flight simulator. You have to hold the Y button and press up and down on the dpad. Quite often it will just zoom me into the cockpit as if I’m not holding Y at all but it did this on my other controller too. I think it’s just the game and the convoluted control system for pads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yiggy said:


No there isn’t an option to turn it off or see what games are currently using it or supporting it. I suspect those options will be coming. 
 

I think they are disabling it on titles on the fly as some that had it working before now don’t work. 
 

It’s a good feature so hopefully they sort it quickly. 


Thanks- that’s a pity!

 

It’s a great feature, when they get it working- for now, most of the time I have to load up the game, have it lock, quit, restart the game (several times it then refuses to restart at all and I have to reboot the console) and load it properly...so actually it makes it a far longer, more convoluted process, especially when regular loading is quick now anyways!

 

I’d have thought they’d have been better off switching it off for all titles if they don’t have the resources to check which ones it does and doesn’t work with right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, choduk said:

Is anyone else having any issues with the face buttons on the new controller not being sensitive enough? I've had a few instances where I've had to press the buttons more than once to select things. And anything that requires the button holding can be a little iffy if you're only holding lightly. I've mostly noticed it on the A and B buttons. Just wondering if it's my controller and I should get it swapped - or if they're all the same.

 

Not in game, but I swear navigating the console menus I have to hit A a couple of times on occasion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, choduk said:

Is anyone else having any issues with the face buttons on the new controller not being sensitive enough? I've had a few instances where I've had to press the buttons more than once to select things. And anything that requires the button holding can be a little iffy if you're only holding lightly. I've mostly noticed it on the A and B buttons. Just wondering if it's my controller and I should get it swapped - or if they're all the same.


Yes, I’ve definitely experienced this - usually when trying do some kind of block or counter or some other time-critical button press. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those fine fellas at MS gave me £8 to spend so while I have 9 million games from my back catalogue and all of game pass I simply must buy something new, I’m half tempted by something new and shiny but then I could pick up GTA5 for the tenth time (is it 60fps on Series X?) but maybe you guys can recommend me a gem that isn’t on gamepass - I’m happy to put money towards a full price game etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Had a draining day today putting the X in my office (where I did intend for it to spend most of its time). Turns out my gaming monitor is only HDMI 1.4. this means that despite 1.4 having more than enough bandwidth for 1080p at 120Hz (my PC does 144Hz at 1080 on that monitor fine) the series X will not push 1080p 120Hz down the cable, insisting the the monitor isn't 4k120Hz compatible, which I know it isn't. Series X also won't do hdr on it for some reason despite the console detecting that the monitor is capable (I've had the PS4 pro do hdr on it fine).

 

My other monitor is only 60Hz and doesn't do hdr but is 4k so not the worst option. The console actually looks amazing on the front room TV at 4k60 with HDR 

 

Looks like I won't be able to run anything on series X at 120Hz for the foreseeable and will be without hdr most of the time.

 

At least I can focus my next monitor purchase on hdmi 2.1, 4k and 120Hz, whenever that will be cheap enough for me.

 

Edit: turns out there might be hope for 1080p 120. I need to mess around turning vrr and freesync off and it might work.

 

I don't think 1.4 is the issue. I use a 1080p 144hz monitor with a 1.4 HDMI and have no problems getting my series X to output 120hz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, choduk said:

Is anyone else having any issues with the face buttons on the new controller not being sensitive enough? I've had a few instances where I've had to press the buttons more than once to select things. And anything that requires the button holding can be a little iffy if you're only holding lightly. I've mostly noticed it on the A and B buttons. Just wondering if it's my controller and I should get it swapped - or if they're all the same.

I’ve found that the button press has a little more ‘travel’ for want of a better word, have to push it down further than seems needed/right - maybe due to using the PS4 pad previously? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Strange question but has anyone found games sometimes stuck in infinite loading loops when running from external drives? I couldn't get either Gears Ultimate or Two Point Hospital to load - they both got as far as the final "Loading..." screen within the game itself then never got any further. Transferred them to the internal drive and they both worked straight away.

 

Tried restarting Assassin's Creed Origins yesterday and got this from the first moment the game becomes playable. Uninstalled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, koefoed said:

 

I don't think 1.4 is the issue. I use a 1080p 144hz monitor with a 1.4 HDMI and have no problems getting my series X to output 120hz.

 

5 hours ago, Super Craig said:

My Series X tells me that my TV doesn't support 4K/120, but right below it it does say that it's capable of 1080p/120. If the auto-detect isn't picking up your monitor correctly then you'll probably have to override it.

 

Thanks both, when I was trying to get it working yesterday the refresh rate wasn't even an option to select.

 

Edit: managed to get it working by overriding the settings. No HDR with overridden settings unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Those fine fellas at MS gave me £8 to spend so while I have 9 million games from my back catalogue and all of game pass I simply must buy something new, I’m half tempted by something new and shiny but then I could pick up GTA5 for the tenth time (is it 60fps on Series X?) but maybe you guys can recommend me a gem that isn’t on gamepass - I’m happy to put money towards a full price game etc...


Add a fiver and get Shadow of the Tomb Raider and let me know what it’s like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Pockets said:


Add a fiver and get Shadow of the Tomb Raider and let me know what it’s like. 


Im a couple of hours into this for the first time and really enjoying it.  Throws you straight into the story and action, definitely a refinement of all that has come before so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pockets said:


Add a fiver and get Shadow of the Tomb Raider and let me know what it’s like. 

And I thought it was garbage when I played it on Gamepass a while back. Lara just comes across as a horrible character who only cares about her own self interests. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

And I thought it was garbage when I played it on Gamepass a while back. Lara just comes across as a horrible character who only cares about her own self interests. 

She lives in a mansion, has a Butler and is quite posh... she's definitely a Tory, so of course she only cares about her own self interests ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Shadow more like Tomb Raider or is it still another shitty stealth game with tiny "tombs"

 

I played the reboot and liked it - it had the stealth kill stuff but the arenas were focused. Rise was just awful for dumping you in a massive area and saying "ahaha loads of soldiers here to stealth kill with no indication of direction and there might be a tiny tomb to explore at the end of a 2 hr grind through the area". I gave up on it, being dumped in a laerge open area and told to stealth kill your way round a bunch of npcs is my idea of hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the bow is something I really enjoy so needing to be stealth is no problem to me.  But in any of those areas you can always be guns blazing if you prefer.

 

I don’t think I’m far enough in Shadow yet to know either way...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from a handful of areas Shadow is absolute rubbish, and that’s from someone who finished the first two twice. The set-pieces are tired, plot is somehow even worse than before and the combat isn’t as good either. It does look amazing in places but otherwise feels very B-team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.