Xbox Series X | S

18 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Just a router manufacturer. A decent effort. Came free with my Zen internet. 

Seemingly the one router in the world that periodically won’t connect to my series X. 

My Virgin Media Superhub 2 was exactly the same. Frequent disconnects with Destiny 2 and serious lag in stuff like Apex Legends and BF5. The Series X is only 6 feet away from the router! Bought more Home Plugs, problem solved. 

@Eighthours, @HarryBizzle and @MattyP - thanks for your replies.

You're all right, of course - I don't need it and it probably wouldn't be as good as what I have already anyway. It's mostly just the shininess that's tempting me, and also the convenience of console gaming over PC. 

But I'll hold strong for now! It doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere, anyway.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@Eighthours, @HarryBizzle and @MattyP - thanks for your replies.

You're all right, of course - I don't need it and it probably wouldn't be as good as what I have already anyway. It's mostly just the shininess that's tempting me, and also the convenience of console gaming over PC. 

But I'll hold strong for now! It doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere, anyway.

I was going though the same thought process but couldn't get a damn card for my PC - so yes kind of speaking a bit on my somewhat rash decision to jump back into consoles with the series X. I guess I struck lucky in that an opportunity to get an X came up. As it happens more than happy with it and putting off the PC upgrade for a while longer. 

Have you tinkered with VR? You might get that "new toy itch" scratch from that... Its fairly transformative in terms of new experiences over what a console will give. :) 

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I was going though the same thought process but couldn't get a damn card for my PC - so yes kind of speaking a bit on my somewhat rash decision to jump back into consoles with the series X. I guess I struck lucky in that an opportunity to get an X came up. As it happens more than happy with it and putting off the PC upgrade for a while longer. 

Have you tinkered with VR? You might get that "new toy itch" scratch from that... Its fairly transformative in terms of new experiences over what a console will give. :) 

I haven't, no - I don't really have the space for it, to tell the truth, and I need to be able to see in case the baby monitor goes off, as I play with headlhones. Also, apart from games that you can play on it while just sitting down, I wouldn't really get the most from it, and I've read that the Occulus sets are pretty uncomfortable. It does sound great, though, and I do want to play Alyx, so maybe someday.

I like certain aspects of PC gaming a lot, but I do miss how quickly console gaming gets you in and playing, and also how it just works without having to faff about with anything.

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

I like certain aspects of PC gaming a lot, but I do miss how quickly console gaming gets you in and playing, and also how it just works without having to faff about with anything.

Indeed! What I'm appreciating a bit more now I'm using a console again. Although love the breadth of choice on the PC. They are just very different propositions I guess. PC gives you the ultimate flexibility. You can tweak almost anything to get what you need. I tend to enjoy the PC when hooked up to VR on a driving game. Its a fantastic experience and transforms driving games for me. I can also mod these to get the experience I want. So for example I managed to get a track for the old Brooklands circuit and download some period cars to race around it. Fantastic experience bombing around a circuit that no longer exists in VR with a wheel. Hard to explain how it feels really. Which is the point really its something that needs to be experienced to feel it and get it. Anyhow.

Why I think for me having a console and PC works great for me. I can do the more in depth things on the PC such as VR etc and the quick pick up and play things on console. 

Of course having the time to dedicate to all this is another thing altogether, although having the choice is great! :D

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-11-12-xbox-series-x-s-is-biggest-console-launch-in-microsofts-history

Looks like MS had a good launch...one of the key takeouts is:-

"And 70% of Xbox Series X and S consoles are attached to Xbox Game Pass memberships"

Looks like the strategy is working. Must admit all I have bought for my Series X is a GamePass subscription and I've played and completed more games in the past 6 months between the PC and Series X than I did in past couple of years. Its an awesome service and always find some great content on there to play, not only that I try and enjoy a lot of things I probably would have never bought on their own outright. 

Probably lost elsewhere but a nice interview with Phil Spencer here:-

https://www.theverge.com/21611412/microsoft-phil-spencer-interview-xbox-series-x-launch-decoder-podcast (scroll down a bit for the audio internview).

Great chat about the Xbox vision and comments about recent hardware launches.

The 70% number is good but it’s hard to say how good without knowing how that trend continues over time and also what the number was before the launch. 

Certainly though if they can maintain anywhere near that number and keep selling lots of consoles it will be seen as a success.

Assuming they end up with say 30m subs at an average cost (adjusted generously for deals etc) at £10 a month that’s nearly £4bn a year? 

Obviously that means nothing really without knowing profits and setups etc but it’s a lot of moohlah. 

35 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

The 70% number is good but it’s hard to say how good without knowing how that trend continues over time and also what the number was before the launch. 

Certainly though if they can maintain anywhere near that number and keep selling lots of consoles it will be seen as a success.

Assuming they end up with say 30m subs at an average cost (adjusted generously for deals etc) at £10 a month that’s nearly £4bn a year? 

Obviously that means nothing really without knowing profits and setups etc but it’s a lot of moohlah. 

Think they are making a loss on lots of things at the moment although always the case when they are building the service. They are looking at the long term I guess.

Interesting to see how it goes for them although more than happy with what they are offering at the moment!

20 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Has anyone bought a code for a different region recently? 

I'm tempted to grab this and save a few pounds, is it a case of just VPN'ing to the USA, signing in to Xbox.com and adding it to the account? 

https://www.cdkeys.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-cross-gen-bundle-xbox-one-us

Cheaper at MTCgames -

https://www.mtcgame.com/en-GB/xbox-games/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-cross-gen-bundle

And yes to the VPN question.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-says-pre-order-models-are-outdated-and-its-considering-a-deposit-system/amp/

From the recent verge interview with Phil Spencer. A pre-order system where you order directly and get one allocated as it's built in the factory sounds a good system perhaps interesting challenges from a logistical and ordering point of view. However it would be nice to know when you would get a console at the price MS want to deliver it to the consumer rather than the wild west it is at the moment.

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Cheers Hitch

EDIT: @Hitcher does that mean I need to VPN to Brazil for the lowest price?  Do I need to put in a false address, etc?

You can buy $320 brazil gift card credit for £45ish and just change location in your xbox settings to Brazil, redeem codes as normal and purchase the game and swap back to UK without need for any VPN 

Is there no way to create a local profile on this without it being linked to a Microsoft account?

My other half wants to play, but is having to go through the process of logging in and creating a gamertag. There’s an option to sign in as a guest but this doesn’t seem to do the job, as it keeps my profile logged in and all my game progress and saves are still there. 

Switch and PS4 handle this without fuss, I’m not sure if I’m missing something?

4 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

You can buy $320 brazil gift card credit for £45ish and just change location in your xbox settings to Brazil, redeem codes as normal and purchase the game and swap back to UK without need for any VPN 

Cheers, is there a good place to buy from? 

I haven't bought from a non-UK store in ages.

6 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Cheers, is there a good place to buy from? 

I haven't bought from a non-UK store in ages.

G2a or MTC, MTC is a bit cheaper I think but not sure if they accept PayPal, or any foreign fees associated with it as i used card. if you have a foreign exchange fee charge for your card you may get a few quid charges unless you use revolut or similar.

https://www.mtcgame.com/en-GB/microsoft-points/xbox-live-gift-card-br

Not aware of any other sites for foreign gift cards but id like to know some! There's also an xbox-now discord where people (who i assume are located in the cheap regions) sell games cheap and gift them to you via Microsoft store. I got DiRT 5 amplified for £20odd quid off there 

5 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Has anyone bought a code for a different region recently? 

I'm tempted to grab this and save a few pounds, is it a case of just VPN'ing to the USA, signing in to Xbox.com and adding it to the account? 

https://www.cdkeys.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-cross-gen-bundle-xbox-one-us

I bought it from here, had to use a VPN to redeem the code.

2 hours ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Does this still work? I couldn’t redeem the US code using this old trick but I used to do it all the time 5 years ago and still have various amounts of odd currency attached to my MS account.

35 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I bought it from here, had to use a VPN to redeem the code.

Does this still work? I couldn’t redeem the US code using this old trick but I used to do it all the time 5 years ago and still have various amounts of odd currency attached to my MS account.

Works for me, didn't need to use a vpn and just redeemed it on the xbox. Got fifa, Tony hawks remastered and cold war recently from the Brazil store using that method 

Guys if I’ve got GamePass Ultimate and download say No Mans Sky on both my PC and Xbox, if I’m playing on my PC, save the game can I then go on my Xbox and carry on from where I left off? If so can you do the same with all GamePass games because that would be a real game changer with my Monster Hunter addiction lol

2 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Guys if I’ve got GamePass Ultimate and download say No Mans Sky on both my PC and Xbox, if I’m playing on my PC, save the game can I then go on my Xbox and carry on from where I left off? If so can you do the same with all GamePass games because that would be a real game changer with my Monster Hunter addiction lol

Some games do, some games don't. Ones marked in the app as "Play Anywhere" are the ones that do it, though they're not always very consistent in terms of applying the tags correctly, so I've found other games that do that aren't marked properly. All you can do is try them, really.

4 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

*Generally* I've found if a game is on PC and Xbox then the saves will be synced across devices. Certainly this has been the case on all recent games I've played as I switch between the PC and Xbox a fair bit.

How are we all doing with storage, my internal is pretty full but with plenty of a handed games and while some of them would work on the external my 1tb external is equally full...

spacer.png

Im becoming more tempted to get the 1tb seagate drive esp as I have reward points building up nicely so in a few months could knock off a significant portion of the cost.

I’ve got around 25 games installed, including monsters pushing 100GB such as Halo 5, Battlefield 1 and Forza 7 and still have nearly 200GB of space left, so am pretty pleased with how the SSD capacity has held up.

It was the restrictive space on the Series S that swayed me into going for a Series X in the end and feels like I made the right choice. My penchant for large-file multiplayer shooters means I’ll inevitably hit the limit sooner or later but it’s hard not to argue that for an initial offering 800GB of usable space seems ample enough for the vast majority of people. CoD Warzone is a total outlier.

The fact that they delivered such a powerful machine with that size of SSD for £450 still seems like a minor miracle to me.

Storage is fine here. I can only play a few games at any one time anyway so just delete things off that I haven't played for a while. Usually means not really interested in the game anyway. In fact going forward if I have played anything on my system for a couple of weeks its going.

I had a 2TB drive hanging about that I'm using on mine for everything that I can (unless it needs need to be on SSD it goes on the external). Ive got a couple of lumpy bits that I'm only play every so often  that I'm flipping between the two as needed. Better to wait 5 minutes to transfer 100GB than a couple of hours.

Overall very happy with how it's working and I've not noticed a huge discrepancy between the SSD and the external drive in load times either.

My SSD isn't doing too bad either. Half full at 9 games on there and actively playing 3 of them. I've already moved a couple back to the external drive and I may move more. I'm not going to play all of them on some random whim. 

I definitely don't feel much benefit on 360 games. Just having them on any SSD seems enough of a boost. Anyone seen otherwise? That saves a bit of space. 

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

How are we all doing with storage, my internal is pretty full but with plenty of a handed games and while some of them would work on the external my 1tb external is equally full...

spacer.png

Im becoming more tempted to get the 1tb seagate drive esp as I have reward points building up nicely so in a few months could knock off a significant portion of the cost.

I caved and got it. Could manage without but I’ve realised how many games I pretty much keep installed...

Forza 4

Halo MCC

Sea of Thieves

Destiny 2

Fifa 21

Rainbow 6

Fortnite

It wasn’t giving me enough to play around with. Only annoying thing about it is that if there is not enough room on the internal it asks you if you want to install on the expansion card. I guess I could just force all installs to that card now my internal is full but I just thought it would do it automatically. It’s possible that’s how it worked previously with an external drive but I always had everything set to just install on that before as it was 4TB!

Yeah Baby!

869D5AFA-9382-4573-B3A3-52AD1F8FA014.jpeg

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S