Xbox Series X | S

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just one question: I'd assumed (probable read somewhere) that the PSU on consoles these days switches voltage without needing an adapter, I'd just need a UK figure 8. Am I talking bollocks and I need something else?

They'll all have their voltages printed somewhere but yeah that's been universally true for some time.  The last time I remember having to replace a PSU was with a Gameboy Advance and even then the 3rd party one I picked up was universal.

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just one question: I'd assumed (probable read somewhere) that the PSU on consoles these days switches voltage without needing an adapter, I'd just need a UK figure 8. Am I talking bollocks and I need something else?

I’m pretty sure all of the EU is 220V, anyway, so yeah, UK figure 8 will be fine. 

28 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

i know some were interested, so, in case you missed it, flight sim, summer, no bone version!

This is good news from my perspective. The sooner Microsoft start pushing Series X, the better. I think everyone would agree that the worst part of this launch is the lack of new experiences with a wow factor. The upgrades are nice, but it's not really what we all signed up for. 

I'm not personally bothered about flying a red eye (?) into Heathrow, but with a bit of luck this'll mean the Series Consoles will be able to shine a bit sooner than after the 2 year cross gen support we were expecting has passed.

Received my Series S today.

Started the setup, it needed an OS update, which it downloaded and started to install. Got to around 90% and turned itself off.

I powered it on, and it resumed the update from 76%, got to 93% again and powered off. This just keeps happening.

After some time with MS support, doing a factory reset from the boot menu, and an offline system update using USB stick, it's still doing the same thing.

It won't get past 93% of the system update, when it just powers itself off.

Amazon has accepted the return for a refund, but does anyone know anything else I can try? I'd rather get it working than return it and have to get another.

1 hour ago, routeburn said:

Started the setup, it needed an OS update, which it downloaded and started to install. Got to around 90% and turned itself off.

I powered it on, and it resumed the update from 76%, got to 93% again and powered off. This just keeps happening.

After some time with MS support, doing a factory reset from the boot menu, and an offline system update using USB stick, it's still doing the same thing.

Amazon has accepted the return for a refund, but does anyone know anything else I can try? I'd rather get it working than return it and have to get another.

Do you give it time to turn back on again because reboots are common for system updates?

1 hour ago, routeburn said:

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Not sure if it’s a console issue. I had a similar issue with an Xbox one s. Exactly what you had @routeburn. I think it’s a server issue. I just left it turned off and it completed the update when I tried again a number of hours later. 

Office 365 has been having some major issues in the UK today. If any other Microsoft systems have had issues could this be it? If it's a server side bug?

9 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Do you give it time to turn back on again because reboots are common for system updates?

8 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Office 365 has been having some major issues in the UK today. If any other Microsoft systems have had issues could this be it? If it's a server side bug?

10 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Not sure if it’s a console issue. I had a similar issue with an Xbox one s. Exactly what you had @routeburn. I think it’s a server issue. I just left it turned off and it completed the update when I tried again a number of hours later. 

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I did leave it a while.

This is an odd one. It appears that the console will shut itself off if it stops receiving controller input for 10-20 seconds. It seems to be something others have experienced (in this thread for example https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/xbox-series-x-turns-itself-off/2c824f7a-8c85-4085-996a-54f501f98bd1?page=1).

It's weird.

I got the initial setup to complete by constantly pressing directions on the controller plugged in to USB while it was doing its update and setup.

Once it was on Dashboard, it will still power off in 10-20 seconds if the controller isn't moved or buttons pressed.

However, I got it to download Sea of Thieves, Ori, and Bloodstained, which work fine. When a game is running I don't need to keep making controller inputs.

After playing a game, I can go back to Dashboard and don't need to keep making inputs. However, if I leave it for a few minutes, it will power off.

After rebooting it, the problem is back - have to keep making inputs on the controller until I've got a game to run, then it's OK.

Really weird problem.

I got it from Amazon and they're collecting it Monday, but if anyone knows a fix I'd rather do that.

19 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Bit late with this, as it's largely been answered already, but I'm using a UK console in Japan. If memory serves, the voltage in the UK is 240v and 100v here. The console, and indeed most electronic devices nowadays, have the voltage range printed on them somewhere and most of the time it's 100-240v, meaning they'll be fine anywhere along that range. 

Recent consoles have had their power bricks inside too, so it's just been a matter of replacing the power cord. In a moment of launch day laziness, I decided to use my Japanese PS4's figure 8 cord rather than always have an adaptor on. Should have got round to getting a spare cord, instead I'm just moving between the two, which is not ideal. 

Not had any problems so far with ay voltage differences on any devices. My UK tablet charges slowly but that could just be my imagination, and it's also quite old now. 

My Quick Resume fail from last night was quitting back to the main screen of Yakuza 0 after playing through most of the opening chapter (just after Kiryu finds out the businessman he beat up has been found dead) only to find there was no autosave triggered. Instead I quick resume into the title screen I left last night when I play today.

I should have just switched the game off where I was rather than quitting to menu beforehand. I now need to do all that opening stuff again! :doh: I really need to get used to this brilliant feature.

7 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

No. It’s always on at the moment. 

Why is it annoying? 

I'd imagine because Apex is an online based shooter, it picks up where you last were, only the instance you were playing in is no longer active, so it then kicks you to the title screen, adding time rather than saving it.

Yeah, if I don’t quit apex, quick resume means it takes longer to get to play, rather than shorter. Means I have to quit apex before turning off, or quit the apex on startup. 

It’s obviously not a big thing, but it’s a bit annoying. If I could choose to turn it off for games like apex, I would. 

It’s also probably the sort of thing that will be sorted when apex has a proper next gen patch. Right now it’s the One version I’m playing. 

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

A week with the S and I'm really impressed. The load times are a revelation (you know they're quick when loading screen tips don't have time to load), and if Destiny 2 (since its update) is any indication of the graphical quality and smooth frame rate I can expect from it for the new generation then I'm more than happy with it.

I'm not ruling out an upgrade to an X at some point but certainly not any time soon.

Destiny 2 is stunning on series x with fov wide, I always thought it looked terrible on PS4 pro (art style aside) so it’s blown me away how good it looks now!

Destiny 2 is a great showcase for the Series S. The game felt like an absolute chore before, with the initial load, going in and out of orbit, even opening the menu and waiting for your inventory to load.

And despite it not being 4K, like it was on One X, being 60fps just make it feel so much better than it basically tricks me into thinking it looks better, too.

On 13/12/2020 at 21:12, Timmo said:

A week with the S and I'm really impressed. The load times are a revelation (you know they're quick when loading screen tips don't have time to load), and if Destiny 2 (since its update) is any indication of the graphical quality and smooth frame rate I can expect from it for the new generation then I'm more than happy with it.

I'm not ruling out an upgrade to an X at some point but certainly not any time soon.

Same here. I went for the S because they're available where I live and I also didn't really enjoy my last experiences with the XBox platform and dashboard. However, a few days with the Series S, Game Pass (ultimate on my PC as well), the S hardware and Dashboard/Game Pass and game experience, and it's.... great. I can also see myself upgrading to an X in future if I do want the 4K60 experience. However, the Series S is a "Game Pass box" for me at the moment. Destiny 2 is really nice on it (1080p60 I think?)

Edit: yes, I got a replacement for my faulty one. Looks like a hardware issue. New one works just fine.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S