Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


djbhammer
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

 

You quickly get used to it.   I also went from a Panny Plasma to an LED and initially thought it was going to burn my eyes out. Got used to it though and the 4K.


I’ve gone Plasma > OLED > LCD and you’re right you get used to the huge drop but when you see that OLED again it looks incredible, needless to say a new telly is top priority....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My hugely insightful Day 1 impressions of the Series S:

 

It's tiny! Coming from the PS4 Pro I was amazed how small this thing is when I picked it up.

 

The Xbox UI is a bit messier than the PS4 one that I'm used to. I'm finding the way it lays things out it a bit weird, it's tile overload on the main screen. I also don't like that it has sponsored ads on the main screen.

 

Gamepass Ultimate is unbelievable value! Having not owned an Xbox since the 360 there is a crazy amount of stuff on GPU that I want to play.

 

Started off by installing Gears 5 and Horizon 4. I know they're not "next gen" games but they look and run amazing. Gears in particular has some fantastic looking effects in it and the performance is silky smooth. 

 

All in all I'm really happy so far especially as selling my PS4 Pro at Game has virtually covered the whole cost of the S.

 

Oh the other thing I forgot to mention. The S is so quiet coming from the PS4 Pro! I played a couple hours of Gears and the console was virtually silent the whole time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ymaohyd said:

I wouldn’t upgrade to a One X now as it’s not the upgrade I’m looking for. I just want to play current gen games with SSD but I don’t really care about resolution. 


Buy an external SSD drive and plug it into your Xbox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Still going to be massively slower than playing them on series s. 

current gen games will load as fast on a series S from the internal drive, as they do an external ssd with a usb3.1 connector, as they cant use the internal ssd optimally.

 

@ymaohyd an external ssd will improve the load speed on a standard xbox one, and, you can plug it into an xbox s/x when you upgrade to them and just carry on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

current gen games will load as fast on a series S from the internal drive, as they do an external ssd with a usb3.1 connector, as they cant use the internal ssd optimally.

 

@ymaohyd an external ssd will improve the load speed on a standard xbox one, and, you can plug it into an xbox s/x when you upgrade to them and just carry on!

 

But you lose the extra speed of the CPU when it comes to anything to do with asset unpacking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pinholestar said:

Am I correct in thinking that as I'm getting AC Valhalla for Xmas I can download it to my Series X now and then all I'll have to do is insert the disc to authorise it and play it on the day? It shouldn't require any further installation from the disc etc?

 

Yes :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RadgyAdgy said:

My hugely insightful Day 1 impressions of the Series S:

 

It's tiny! Coming from the PS4 Pro I was amazed how small this thing is when I picked it up.

 

The Xbox UI is a bit messier than the PS4 one that I'm used to. I'm finding the way it lays things out it a bit weird, it's tile overload on the main screen. I also don't like that it has sponsored ads on the main screen.

 

Gamepass Ultimate is unbelievable value! Having not owned an Xbox since the 360 there is a crazy amount of stuff on GPU that I want to play.

 

Started off by installing Gears 5 and Horizon 4. I know they're not "next gen" games but they look and run amazing. Gears in particular has some fantastic looking effects in it and the performance is silky smooth. 

 

All in all I'm really happy so far especially as selling my PS4 Pro at Game has virtually covered the whole cost of the S.

 

Oh the other thing I forgot to mention. The S is so quiet coming from the PS4 Pro! I played a couple hours of Gears and the console was virtually silent the whole time.

 

For what it's worth I think the ui a bit better than the ps5 one though ^_^

 

I'm loving my series S to be honest and it's probably had more game time from me than the ps5 since launch which is surprising as I have miles morales, immortals, watch dogs and cyberpunk to play on the 5 :D as well as fifa and battlefield.

 

Just quick and easy to drop in and out of games and as I have fewer big title games on it I think it's just easier to fit the games round the little one.

 

That and i'm actually enjoying fallout so there is that :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favourite thing about the worlds most powerful console, Xbox series x, is how the dashboard is rendered in 1080p so if you want to check downloads or anything whilst playing a game you have to wait a couple of seconds for the tv to go dark as it’s resolution swaps over.

 

The whole OS is still a bit of a clusterfuck really. Having to launch separate apps to change settings, the standby mode that allows you to download games when the machine is switched off doesn’t bother telling you that you need to uncheck the ‘put storage to sleep when in standby’ option that’s turned on by default.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My favourite thing about the worlds most powerful console, Xbox series x, is how the dashboard is rendered in 1080p so if you want to check downloads or anything whilst playing a game you have to wait a couple of seconds for the tv to go dark as it’s resolution swaps over.

 

The whole OS is still a bit of a clusterfuck really. Having to launch separate apps to change settings, the standby mode that allows you to download games when the machine is switched off doesn’t bother telling you that you need to uncheck the ‘put storage to sleep when in standby’ option that’s turned on by default.

 

 


 

E8934E03-0A53-4991-9A63-9DF4D004D351.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, downloading 90gb for gears of war 5 game of the year edition and then finding out I still can’t play it because I have to start it up to begin a fresh 40gigs worth of god knows what was the final straw.

 

’Ready to play’, bollocks it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My favourite thing about the worlds most powerful console, Xbox series x, is how the dashboard is rendered in 1080p so if you want to check downloads or anything whilst playing a game you have to wait a couple of seconds for the tv to go dark as it’s resolution swaps over.

 

The whole OS is still a bit of a clusterfuck really. Having to launch separate apps to change settings, the standby mode that allows you to download games when the machine is switched off doesn’t bother telling you that you need to uncheck the ‘put storage to sleep when in standby’ option that’s turned on by default.

 

 

My TV doesn't do that. There must be a setting on the TV or Xbox to stop that happening?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My favourite thing about the worlds most powerful console, Xbox series x, is how the dashboard is rendered in 1080p so if you want to check downloads or anything whilst playing a game you have to wait a couple of seconds for the tv to go dark as it’s resolution swaps over.

 

 

Get a better TV :P. Mine doesn’t do this (it is a 4K TV). I assumed while it was internally rendering at 1080p it unpscales to 4K. Mine shows UHD as the signal type on the dash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My favourite thing about the worlds most powerful console, Xbox series x, is how the dashboard is rendered in 1080p so if you want to check downloads or anything whilst playing a game you have to wait a couple of seconds for the tv to go dark as it’s resolution swaps over.

 

The whole OS is still a bit of a clusterfuck really. Having to launch separate apps to change settings, the standby mode that allows you to download games when the machine is switched off doesn’t bother telling you that you need to uncheck the ‘put storage to sleep when in standby’ option that’s turned on by default.

 

 

 

Hardly a "clusterfuck" of a OS is it? :D Jeez its not like its crashing or anything. How are the settings in an "app". They just pop up when summoned. Odd. 

 

As for the 1080p thing you are experiencing no  problems here... have a 4K screen and all just works really well.  TV? 

 

Anyhow why not post some positive things and experiences you have had with your new toy? Might be nicer we've all had enough negativity this year what with COVID and people losing their jobs etc etc. Just saying. Also if you are unhappy with the console take it to CEX you'll get £100 more back on it at the moment. So there is a positive right there for you! :) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The whole OS is still a bit of a clusterfuck really. Having to launch separate apps to change settings, the standby mode that allows you to download games when the machine is switched off doesn’t bother telling you that you need to uncheck the ‘put storage to sleep when in standby’ option that’s turned on by default.

 

 

It is actually supposed to turn the drives back on to install any updates, but some drives don't seem to work properly with that option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Get a better TV :P. Mine doesn’t do this (it is a 4K TV). I assumed while it was internally rendering at 1080p it unpscales to 4K. Mine shows UHD as the signal type on the dash.


This is correct. Don’t know what strafe is taking about. 
 

And text is easy to upscale, so a 4K UI is pointless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My TV, which is a very good one, adjusts the resolution when a different signal comes through. It might be related to the soundbar, everything runs through it.

 

But if you bring the side guide up, that works. Going into an App or back to the home screen means the Xbox starts pumping out 1080 instead of 4K.

 

And yes, settings are controlled via an app rather than baked into the dash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, MattyP said:

 

Hardly a "clusterfuck" of a OS is it? :D Jeez its not like its crashing or anything. How are the settings in an "app". They just pop up when summoned. Odd. 

 

As for the 1080p thing you are experiencing no  problems here... have a 4K screen and all just works really well.  TV? 

 

Anyhow why not post some positive things and experiences you have had with your new toy? Might be nicer we've all had enough negativity this year what with COVID and people losing their jobs etc etc. Just saying. Also if you are unhappy with the console take it to CEX you'll get £100 more back on it at the moment. So there is a positive right there for you! :) 

 

 


Ok. Fortnite looks rather good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My TV, which is a very good one, adjusts the resolution when a different signal comes through. It might be related to the soundbar, everything runs through it.

 

But if you bring the side guide up, that works. Going into an App or back to the home screen means the Xbox starts pumping out 1080 instead of 4K.

 

And yes, settings are controlled via an app rather than baked into the dash.

To concur with everyone else, never had this happen. Regardless of the actual rendering resolution of the OS I’m fairly certain the console is always putting out a UHD signal to your TV.


Sounds like potentially something on your end is pixel-counting and trying to automatically adjust?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CarloOos said:

To concur with everyone else, never had this happen. Regardless of the actual rendering resolution of the OS I’m fairly certain the console is always putting out a UHD signal to your TV.


Sounds like potentially something on your end is pixel-counting and trying to automatically adjust?


You might be right! I’ve never questioned it until now, to be honest. It’s not like, for instance, a Netflix thing where the resolution might drop if the connection speed slows down. Just seems to be an Xbox dash thing.

 

Probably the sound bar I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Sorry, downloading 90gb for gears of war 5 game of the year edition and then finding out I still can’t play it because I have to start it up to begin a fresh 40gigs worth of god knows what was the final straw.

 

’Ready to play’, bollocks it is.

 

Must admit that irritated me yesterday, absolutely no idea why they've set up the download / install process like that. They could have at least had the initial download contain the whole story mode and then have the multiplayer/DLC stuff as an additional download you kick off afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RadgyAdgy said:

 

Must admit that irritated me yesterday, absolutely no idea why they've set up the download / install process like that. They could have at least had the initial download contain the whole story mode and then have the multiplayer/DLC stuff as an additional download you kick off afterwards.


It is a bit odd. What was in the 90gig I downloaded already if I can’t even play it?

 

Ive played it before so not the worst thing ever but had to re-download it. I just wanted to check out the dlc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.