Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Yep, I'm in the same boat. 

Got an S purely because of the eye-catching price point. Being a lapsed 360 owner who missed out on the Xbox One helped too, as well news about how ridiculously absurd value Gamepass was reaching my ears. 

It was only intended to be a third console, being the PS4 (to be upgraded to a PS5 had I been lucky with preorders) and the Switch. 

Instead it's now my most played console, and I'm strongly wondering whether to just get an X and make it my main focus. Exclusives and being part of the PS infrastructure due to games like Destiny and ESO mean I still need to get a PS5, but I'd probably still be more excited to get my hands on the X. Keep telling myself it's stupid to upgrade so soon, or go wait for the inevitable mid gen upgrade, or that my TV is crap and barely 4 pixels let alone 4000, but it's still tempting. Fortunately it's never been back in stock here since launch so I'm keeping the temptation at bay so far...

And none of this is a slight against the S. It really is a great console, especially considering its new tech for less than the price of a Switch I think. You pay £120 more and you may not even need to buy a game for the next three years. 

Just wish I'd maybe gone the whole hog with the Xbox, future-proofed myself a bit and also perhaps given myself the luxury of a bit nicer framerate/visuals on a few titles. Not that the visuals or framerate have been problems so far. It all looks and feels fast and smooth. 

27 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Add me to the list of extremely satisfied Series S owners. A cracking little console, even if I just use it for Gamepass for the next 3 years.

250 quid for a console.

100 quid a year for Game Pass.

3-year total cost 550 quid all-in if it's just a Gamepass box - 180 quid a year, 15 quid a month for an all-in gaming solution.

4 hours ago, Parksey said:

Yep, I'm in the same boat. 

Got an S purely because of the eye-catching price point. Being a lapsed 360 owner who missed out on the Xbox One helped too, as well news about how ridiculously absurd value Gamepass was reaching my ears. 

It was only intended to be a third console, being the PS4 (to be upgraded to a PS5 had I been lucky with preorders) and the Switch. 

Instead it's now my most played console, and I'm strongly wondering whether to just get an X and make it my main focus. Exclusives and being part of the PS infrastructure due to games like Destiny and ESO mean I still need to get a PS5, but I'd probably still be more excited to get my hands on the X. Keep telling myself it's stupid to upgrade so soon, or go wait for the inevitable mid gen upgrade, or that my TV is crap and barely 4 pixels let alone 4000, but it's still tempting. Fortunately it's never been back in stock here since launch so I'm keeping the temptation at bay so far...

And none of this is a slight against the S. It really is a great console, especially considering its new tech for less than the price of a Switch I think. You pay £120 more and you may not even need to buy a game for the next three years. 

Just wish I'd maybe gone the whole hog with the Xbox, future-proofed myself a bit and also perhaps given myself the luxury of a bit nicer framerate/visuals on a few titles. Not that the visuals or framerate have been problems so far. It all looks and feels fast and smooth. 

As someone who did succesfully get a PS5 at launch, alongside my series S, i'd suggest you stick with your original plan.  They complement each other superbly and it's the perfect way to have one foot in each system.  I'm using the S for gamepass and catching up on old xbone games, which is superb, whilst enjoying Miles Morales, etc on the PS5.  I wouldn't want to swap the access to the PS exclusives for an xbox that runs the stuff on gamepass at higher res/fps than the series S does right now.  I reckon it could be a good 2 years before theres's anything that's xbox only where the series x is essential over the series s, especially if you don't have a cutting edge tv.

3 minutes ago, routeburn said:

250 quid for a console.

100 quid a year for Game Pass.

3-year total cost 550 quid all-in if it's just a Gamepass box - 180 quid a year, 15 quid a month for an all-in gaming solution.

For me it is even less because I did the £1 Gamepass offer, so I got 3 years for £120 which is about £3.30 a month. £370 all in. Probably the greatest bargain I have ever got playing video games tbh.

26 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

For me it is even less because I did the £1 Gamepass offer, so I got 3 years for £120 which is about £3.30 a month. £370 all in. Probably the greatest bargain I have ever got playing video games tbh.

I can't remember if I mentioned it here, but the bargain just keeps getting better for me. In anticipation of getting the S I bought a WD Black external HD which came with a voucher for 2 months free GPU. I waited until I "only" had 2 years 10 months left to run on my sub, then entered the first of the two one-month codes. At which point the Xbox offered me an extra month free for turning on auto-renew, which I did, then turned it off again and the free month was still applied. So I set myself another reminder to put the other code in a couple of months later, giving me four months for the price of two, which were free anyway.

They're literally giving it away!

I went for the PS5 and Series S combo and have found myself playing the Series S more than the PS5. I've been Xbox only since the start start of lockdown, so I'm used to the interface, Game Pass and I like earning rewards for playing games I want to play anyway.

The whole "free game pass fodder" thing hasn't really rung true for me, either. I've just stopped playing Ghost of Tsushima after finding it pretty shallow and am playing relatively no-name games on Game Pass. I'm also not paying £70 for a game, so presumably have to wait ages to pick up the exclusives.

So yeah, I do kind of find myself wondering if I should have just bought a Series X instead, but am so happy with the Series S that I'm not feeling any FOMO over it.

Yeah I have both Series X and PS5 and while PS5 was definitely the more exciting launch period I'm back to playing on my X more because of Gamepass. I'm still polishing off Demon's Souls and Sackboy on PS5  but I'm now wondering what the next new release will be on PS5 that I'll be happy to spend 60-70 quid on whereas I already have a huge backlog of games on GamePass I want to play and more are going to come of course. 

Gamepass really has just completely changed how I consume games to the point where I almost don't care what Microsoft's first party line-up is like right now. Of course it'll be great when they start releasing their heavy hitters on the service but I don't even have close to enough time to play all the games I want to on GamePass as things stand anyway.

For those who have owned both, how big a jump is the series S from the Xbox one X? 

I have a one x so can technically play everything I could play on a series S but I wonder how big a different the QoL improvements like quick resume make.

One annoying thing for me is that I have the Xbox Series X sound output set to Dolby Atmos Bitstream, which is fine until I plug in headphones into the controller. It then thinks that we are not using HDMI and changes to Uncompressed 7.1 (which is buggy and doesn't work) so I have to go into audio options and set it to Dolby Digital over bitstream.

Do you think they will ever fix it?

32 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Who the hell has enough time for two consoles! 

I know it’s not quite what you meant, but my Switch usage has fallen off a cliff since mid-November. There just isn’t the time to fit it in anymore, since Game Pass came along. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

I know it’s not quite what you meant, but my Switch usage has fallen off a cliff since mid-November. There just isn’t the time to fit it in anymore, since Game Pass came along. 

I'm the same. Even Hades hasn't had a chance lately.

With stuff like Yakuza now on Gamepass I have retired the PS4. I will go back and play some of the PS 4 exclusives I missed when they release a PS5 Slim Pro in a couple of years.

The Switch is purely for the Nintendo stuff and my daughter loves it so it stays (plus we have about 4 or 5 games coming for it over xmas).

But yeah, Xbox plus backlog plus Gamepass is the killer deal for me.

2 hours ago, tobert said:

For those who have owned both, how big a jump is the series S from the Xbox one X? 

I have a one x so can technically play everything I could play on a series S but I wonder how big a different the QoL improvements like quick resume make.

Quick Resume is nice but I can live without it. The S feels like an upgrade because the games load faster in all respects, so fast travel is now actually fast, menus aren’t like treacle, etc. And it’s got the CPU muscle to run games at 60fps that the One X can’t. 

Some games do look worse though, in pure resolution terms (especially Xbox One games, as Series S runs base One games, rather than One X versions) so if that’s a worry, go for the X. 

57 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

IT'S BEGINNING*sigh* TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS

IMG-20201215-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.d695ca931641b4e12e9285cbbcb478d9.jpeg

The last 2 weeks have been fucking abysmal so yay!

You’re going to love it. It’s a properly amazing console.

7 hours ago, Jg15 said:

With stuff like Yakuza now on Gamepass I have retired the PS4. I will go back and play some of the PS 4 exclusives I missed when they release a PS5 Slim Pro in a couple of years.

I'm currently thinking the same. Series S for console Game Pass with "moderate bling" on the "big telly". PC for Game Pass/Epic/Steam/GOG with "high bling". 
I haven't heard anything from Sony about exclusive titles nor anything that competes with Game Pass, and to be honest that's what I need to pull me towards getting a PS5. That, and the fact that my small, efficient, Series S is now the benchmark. I don't want a huge slab of ugly plastic. So I'll wait for PS5-slim if I can.

10 hours ago, tobert said:

I don't own both (or a One X), so this is an opinion with no grounding in technical facts whatsoever. 

If you own a One X, I would say get a Series X.

The Series S will feel like an upgrade - it's smoother, faster and slicker. You'll likely notice loading is markedly quicker. 

However you're probably going to be playing a lot of One X stuff on the console for the time being. 

For me, I got an S because I basically have to get a PS5 due to playing Destiny with my friends on the PS4 for the past five years. I'm invested in it. I've had all three consoles in the past and one always gets left behind. So the S price point was attractive. It was a bonus, really. Plus I never owned an Xbox One, so £250 for the chance to play all those games I missed, as well as all those future next gen games being available if I wanted them, was a bargain. And there's Gamepass as well, which I didn't have access to. 

If you have the cash spare, I'd go for the X. You're getting the best possible version of old games and the best possible version of new ones. You have a disk drive, if that bothers you. You have the extra storage too (I have Destiny, Halo MCC and Forza on there, and it makes it impossible to add another live service game like F76 or Gears 5).

You'll be future-proofed, as well as being able to see old games revitalised. You've already played some before maybe, whereas for me, the Gears 1 Remake, Sunset Overdrive etc are all new, so I don't mind if they not too different from their One S counterparts. I've been playing my PS4 before that and the QOL stuff makes it way better and faster than that. That is enough for me and my lack of 4K TV. 

For now. As I have mentioned, I'm definitely going to upgrade in the future. Just wondering if my temptation can hold out maybe 3 years until the mid gen upgrade. 

It's odd, as I've said before. I definitely don't regret getting the S - I've had a great time with it and it's all I want to play at the moment. It's a great console and good if it's complimenting something else or competing with game time. Or if you're on a budget. 

I don't regret getting the S in as much as that I feel like I've hedged my bets and gone 60-70% in, realised I really like the Xbox and its way of doing things, and wish I'd gone 100% in. My future PS5 is probably going to be that third console now. 

If you think you're going to go all-in on the Xbox, or on Gamepass, I'd get the X. If you own an Xbox One and have had Gamepass, I'd get the X. 

I'm wondering if there will be a mid-gen new model addition to the XBox Series to give 4K60 with Ray Tracing as the baseline. What MS is doing with Gamepass is detaching the games from the hardware. i.e. you subscribe to Game Pass. If you want OK bling, get the S. You want good bling, get the X. You want super customisable bling, get a PC. They can now swap in, or out, the hardware platforms and all you get is higher or lower levels of performance depending on your budget. So adding either a new 'X' or something above the 'X' would make sense as performance increased and prices drop.

2 hours ago, routeburn said:

I'm wondering if there will be a mid-gen new model addition to the XBox Series to give 4K60 with Ray Tracing as the baseline. What MS is doing with Gamepass is detaching the games from the hardware. i.e. you subscribe to Game Pass. If you want OK bling, get the S. You want good bling, get the X. You want super customisable bling, get a PC. They can now swap in, or out, the hardware platforms and all you get is higher or lower levels of performance depending on your budget. So adding either a new 'X' or something above the 'X' would make sense as performance increased and prices drop.

Based on Xbox All Access subscription plans, it would be smart to have a new console upgrade every 24 months so people can stay subscribed. But not sure if developers would like this, unless the upgrades are mostly gpu based, with maybe a switch from 7 to 5nm. I can totally see Microsoft do it, they also didn’t mind having a second active SKU with the S. 

From what I can tell, the MS dev tools and the popular game engines seem to be moving in the direction of giving a very flexible and scalable layer between the game itself and how it is rendered/presented - meaning that you can create a game and a set of graphical assets which the build process+engine will then run at the appropriate "bling", FPS, resolution, on the platform it's running on. We even see real-time scaling of rendering engine with variable resolutions, FPS, and texture / graphical qualities. It's all very impressive.

This means that if MS ships SeriesX+1, it shouldn't be the nightmare it used to be for developers. Depending on the tooling and game engine it should "just run better" on the new hardware. Obviously if the game only has 4K assets and it's an 8K-capable platform then it's not going to look as good as an 8K-native product, but if it's just running at a "guaranteed 4K60 with ray tracing" vs a "target 4K60 with no ray tracing", I don't see that this would be too hard.

I haven't used an xbox in years but got my son a series x for christmas, is there any way to update the console, install and update a couple of games from disc without signing into his xbox live account and alerting him to what awaits on the day? Our internet speed is so shit that it will be days before he gets to play anything otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Rumspringa said:

I haven't used an xbox in years but got my son a series x for christmas, is there any way to update the console, install and update a couple of games from disc without signing into his account and alerting him to what awaits on the day? Our internet speed is so shit that it will be days before he gets to play anything otherwise.

Just make a new one. It sets it up through the Xbox app on your phone so as long as you haven't linked that to his old Xbox you should be able to make a new one and do all that without him knowing.