Xbox Series X | S

17 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Tried unplugging it for a minute? 

Yep, left it unplugged overnight. Tried different sockets. It's as dead as a dodo. Can't understand how something might have fried as its effectively one big cooling tower. Last time I did a MS return was for RROD! My trusty launch xbox one had no issues at all 

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Give us a genre :)

I guess what I’m hankering for is perhaps the type of game that the Switch doesn’t really offer, so the big AAA adventure type games or FPS. 

Also interested in exploring some of the short < 5-10 hour games which I’ve maybe not been keen to pay the Switch tax for. 

So far I’ve set the following to download:

Carrion (and played about 30 mins last night)

Forza Horizon 4

Spiritfarer

Frostpunk (heard Sean talk about it on TCGS and liked the sound of it)

Ori and the Will o the Wisp

Outer Wilds (again one I remember Mat raving about on TCGS)

8 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I guess what I’m hankering for is perhaps the type of game that the Switch doesn’t really offer, so the big AAA adventure type games or FPS. 

Also interested in exploring some of the short < 5-10 hour games which I’ve maybe not been keen to pay the Switch tax for. 

Forza Horizon 4

Spiritfarer

Master Chief Collection?

54 minutes ago, Mr C said:

Yep, left it unplugged overnight. Tried different sockets. It's as dead as a dodo. Can't understand how something might have fried as its effectively one big cooling tower. Last time I did a MS return was for RROD! My trusty launch xbox one had no issues at all 

I take it you've checked the fuse?

41 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Forza Horizon 4

Spiritfarer

There are loads of great games on there, but I'll just pick three to avoid the list getting too big.

Titanfall 2 - as Sprite said. Fantastic single player mode and an even better multiplayer mode that is still busy.

No Man's Sky - fantastic game full on content now. Looks stunning on the SX.

A Plague Tale: Innocence - not a game I would have bothered with if it wasn't for Game Pass. It's a great, compact story in a unique setting.

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Mr C said:

Xbox series x just died. Turned off without warning mid game and will not turn on. Haven't heard of many people having similar issues. Replacement request in with MS. Timing is bloody marvellous as its the one time of the year I get a lot of gaming time :(

My S died in very similar circumstances after a week; one afternoon it just wouldn’t fire up so back to Amazon it had to go.

Took nearly a month to get a new one and I still have the slight concern it’s going to do exactly the same thing.

First mainline console I’ve ever had fail in its first year (first month no less). Even my 360  managed 2 years before it RROD’d

4 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Forza Horizon 4

Spiritfarer

Good shouts.

Granted it's technically on Switch but Outer Worlds as well.  I think it's a GamePass game and if so, Sunset Overdrive was my favourite early gen xbone game.

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

My S died in very similar circumstances after a week; one afternoon it just wouldn’t fire up so back to Amazon it had to go.

Took nearly a month to get a new one and I still have the slight concern it’s going to do exactly the same thing.

First mainline console I’ve ever had fail in its first year (first month no less). Even my 360  managed 2 years before it RROD’d

Had 3 RROD on the 360 and until now that's the first time any console has failed on me. I've posted my series x back to MS today. According to MS its a 4-6 day turnaround which would be pretty great but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Mr C said:

Had 3 RROD on the 360 and until now that's the first time any console has failed on me. I've posted my series x back to MS today. According to MS its a 4-6 day turnaround which would be pretty great but we'll see. 

Luck of the draw isn’t it, I never had a 360 RROD so fear my luck with MS consoles could fail any day now....

20 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m screaming internally at the thought of preordering a ~£45 game when it’s launching on Game Pass. 

I haven't got GamePass and I don't really value stuff that's free. I did a trial of GamePass and didn't really play anything.

I value games I buy more.

I suppose it is a throwback to the Amiga days where I had loads of copied games but didn't really play or value them.

26 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I haven't got GamePass and I don't really value stuff that's free. I did a trial of GamePass and didn't really play anything.

I suppose it is a throwback to the Amiga days where I had loads of copied games but didn't really play or value them.

Guess so.... Used to feel the same way but the way I looked at it is that for £40 (using the £1 conversion trick) I get a year of GamePass. Games like The Medium I finish in a couple of weeks or so. So I have effectively only payed a couple of pounds to play that game. The rest of the time if I only play a game a month still great value. 

What it does give me is an opportunity to play games I might not have bought so saving me money and giving me the opportunity to have a new experience.

Just because it's all on there doesn't mean you have to play everything. Just try games until something clicks and you enjoy.

I'm all subbed up for a while now and I've already finished four games in a couple of months it's great. Looking forward to The Medium in January. Another bonus of the service.

Not sure how MS are doing this they must be loosing a fair chunk of money on this but well not my problem. Will I re-sub when my current one runs out in '23? Probably depends on how the Xbox ecosystem goes and the games they are putting out is still good.

I have a similar perspective to AceGrace, I'm less inclined to try something out on a whim when I've other games that I bought because I wanted to play them.

However, that doesn't extend to paying for games that are on the service, and if I wasn't a subscriber I'd be inclined to sub on the short term when it's cost effective to do so.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Not sure how MS are doing this they must be loosing a fair chunk of money on this but well not my problem. Will I re-sub when my current one runs out in '23? Probably depends on how the Xbox ecosystem goes and the games they are putting out is still good.

I think you greatly underestimate the scale of the thing already. 

15 million subscribers for let's say 80/year average is already 1.2 billion a year. Plus they still rake in purchases of games that go out of the service as well as DLC and MTX. 

But of course for this type of subscription services in the first few years you take a loss to get to a dominant position quicker.  But I think people over estimate how much Microsoft is actually losing.

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

You can still buy them. Although technically you are buying nothing, your licensing something. I stopped caring about buying stuff a long time ago. The sense of ownership is fake (unless we're talking about cartridges and games that don't get updates after launching, which barely happens nowadays except for some Nintendo games).

5 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Wrong answer.

Right answer.

i didn't know that...

Heres the helpful answer then- 

Head to your games library

Hover over the game and hit the 'Menu' button

Scroll down to 'File Info'

Here, look for "ConsoleType: XboxOneGen9Aware". If this is referenced, the game should function on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S from an external USB drive

Fucking quick resume. After working fine on Yakuza LAD the last few weeks, I had to rely on it today as I had to quit without the possibility to save at the end of a long dungeon. As I quick resumed this evening, everything seemed fine except no sound from the game. Since I didn't want to do the entire dungeon again, I pushed on. Beat all the bosses, watched all the cutscenes by reading the subtitles. Saved at the very first opportunity. Quit the game, and when I loaded it back in, the sound was back!

...but the save was nowhere to be found. It put me back right at the start of said dungeon. Fucking hell

On 27/12/2020 at 20:01, OneDvBmbr said:

I’m on board with a Series X which my wife very generously got me for Christmas. I’ve basically skipped a generation having had a 360, but since then the only console I’ve had is a Switch, which I absolutely love and expect to continue playing. 

I’ve taken advantage of the 3 year Game Pass Ultimate hack by upgrading three years of Gold Live for a £1. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to start. Missed so many games over the past years. A bit overwhelming looking at the whole list of Game Pass games. I plan to try and rinse those before actually buying anything not on Game Pass if I can. 

Also I have precisely zero friends on my friends list, so feel free to add me. Gamertag is in my signature!

Call of the Sea is worth a try if you like puzzlers.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S