Xbox Series X | S

48 minutes ago, bridger said:

After passing over my launch pre-order to someone more desperate than me I've just managed to bag a Series X from Game on the All Access thing (assuming it ever turns up...this being Game and all).

Thing is, I've already got another 18 months of Game Pass Ultimate on my account...I assume that the All Access thing will just be a code that I can apply to my existing account?

Its tied to the Xbox and you have a couple of years to activate the offer.

1 hour ago, bridger said:

After passing over my launch pre-order to someone more desperate than me I've just managed to bag a Series X from Game on the All Access thing (assuming it ever turns up...this being Game and all).

Thing is, I've already got another 18 months of Game Pass Ultimate on my account...I assume that the All Access thing will just be a code that I can apply to my existing account?

Fucking hell. I've only just tried this myself and gone and got one too. 

Cheers @bridger

2 hours ago, bridger said:

Cheers guys. Sounds good. I was worrying I'd wasted my money. 

Quite the opposite, you’ve just bought into what’s quite possibly the best gaming deal ever :)

Edit.

Ooops, just read your full post and seen that you already had game pass. 

19 hours ago, bridger said:

Yes (as people have said), but also remember that you've got a hard limit of 36 months on Game Pass, so you probably won't be able to add your two-year code until you've only a year left.

6 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Yes (as people have said), but also remember that you've got a hard limit of 36 months on Game Pass, so you probably won't be able to add your two-year code until you've only a year left.

Cheers for that. I checked it out yesterday and don't have as much as I thought. I'll have a year left at the end of March and so I'll wait until then to apply the new two years. Thanks.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

God damn it - missed them again!

I just want to buy your console MS, let me give you my money. Please.

Have you signed up to IGN Deal alerts on Twitter? That's how I found out about this particular stock.

Not a new feature update that you'll see an instant difference with but the tl;dr version is that it should make it easier for them to roll out updates. Yay. I guess. 

I've been alternating between the Elite Series 2 controller and the standard Series X/S controller over the past couple of months, usually just using the Elite until it needs to charge and then using the standard controller til that runs out of juice, and I think I might just prefer the standard controller overall. They've made some improvements to little things that you don't really notice unless you regularly use both. 

Elite controller advantages - it's all about the paddles really. They're a godsend in anything that requires you to click the sticks for anything remotely important or, god forbid, to click them and move the stick in order to run. That's my main use case anyway but I sometimes use the paddles for games where the default setup feels unintuitive and you can't change it (Hitman putting run on LB for example. My brain can't get used to it and I much prefer it on the left paddle).

It's weightier and, naturally, feels more premium in terms of materials. The guide button is also much nicer, it's elevated and clicky whereas the guide button on the Series controller feels recessed and mushy. 

But for games where I don't feel I need the paddles, I prefer the Series controller. The D-Pad is the best MS have ever made and better than that offered by Sony or Nintendo right now, it has a dedicated share button, the bumpers are more rounded and taper into the body of the controller in a nicer feeling way. But what really throws me when I go back to the Elite is that the top ridge on the triggers is about 2mm narrower than on the standard controller.

No, really. The top of the triggers is just a bit chunkier on the Series controllers but I instantly notice it when I switch after using the Series controller for a while. Thinking about it, your fingers are constantly resting on the top of them so it makes sense that if they're a bit chunkier your fingers sit more nicely on them. When I go back the Elite triggers almost feel like they're digging into my fingers more because the top is thinner.

Overall I think I underestimated how nice the little refinements to the design are. I dismissed it as the same controller as the Bone with a share button but it's not and while the Dualsense has grabbed the headlines with the haptics and triggers, Microsoft have quietly put out the most ergonomically pleasing controller on the market right now, just nudging out the Switch's Pro Controller (the Dualsense is fine but I find it the least comfortable of the three). Bring the Series adjustments to an Elite 3 so I can have the best of both worlds please.

On cod and destiny you endlessly get wrecked by elite pad users. On destiny it allows you to slide and fire shotgun at the same time, which is just op as fuck and makes them unbeatable. Worst gaming invention ever.

I’ve always preferred the standard controller to the Elite. I prefer the controller being light weight and the expense and weight of the Elite made me feel like I had to be extra careful with it. 

I used an original Xbox One controller recently - the one with the super clicky RB/LB and it was not good at all compared to the new one. 

I've got a white One pad which I cycle with the Series pad when it runs out and it feels creaky as fuck. The rumble feels loose as hell. There's a lot of wear and tear on it but the Series pad just feels better built. It was like that with the One pad over the 360 pad.

The best thing about the Elite 2, besides the paddles, is the stick tension adjustment. I’ve got mine on the stiffest now, so going back to any other controller feels really loose and imprecise.

7 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I've got a white One pad which I cycle with the Series pad when it runs out and it feels creaky as fuck. The rumble feels loose as hell. There's a lot of wear and tear on it but the Series pad just feels better built. It was like that with the One pad over the 360 pad.

My Series pad that came with the console has barely been used, I'm sticking with the Elite 1 for the time being, my most played title is Tetris Effect, and that D pad on the newer one seems more finicky, kinda like the one on the first gen Switch Pro pads, too easy to hit "drop" when I don't mean to.

I've barely touched the Series X controller, I've just stuck with my Elite 2. As others have said, it's hard to go back to a standard controller once you're used to the paddles: I couldn't play Hitman or Jedi Fallen Order without them now as my muscle memory is tied to all the controls I've specifically configured to it. The ability to shorten the triggers is really helpful too, most games don't actually use analogue triggers anyway so I spend most of my time with them acting as digital buttons instead.

Most of all I like the weight of it, it's really hefty. I like a controller that feels like you could kill someone with it, if you had to. You'd never be able to batter a man to death with the DualSense.

As much as I love the Elite 2 I wish both platform holders would integrate paddles into their standard controllers so I don’t have to spend £150 on special ones. 

9 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Can I ask a question around those who got their Series X via all access. 

How does the two year ultimate access arrive? Is it a pack in code in the box? 

Thanks 

It's built into the console. Boot it up, sign in and then click the tile to claim and begin the 2-year membership. 

Just now, Popo said:

It's built into the console. Boot it up, sign in and then click the tile to claim and begin the 2-year membership. 

Thanks for confirming. 

Been looking at those LG CX TV's over the weekend. Really tempted but it would mean upgrading my Amp to one that does HDMI 2.1 and 4k/120 and that's about another £600.  Let's hope I get bonus in March.

4k/120 is REALLY not worth a lot of additional expense.

It’s looks incrementally better than 4K/60 imo. I have LG screens that do both - and honestly wouldn’t bother spending a fortune on it as its simply not worth it.

LG screens are however amazeballs, so if you haven’t got an OLED one of those - then push the button as you wont regret it, but I wouldn’t stress about the amp just yet.

Have you heard anything from Game about your All Access order yet @cassidy?

I got an email from them on Thursday saying it was ‘packing’, but I can only assume they’ve run out of tape as I’ve not heard anything since ;-p

11 minutes ago, bridger said:

Have you heard anything from Game about your All Access order yet @cassidy?

I got an email from them on Thursday saying it was ‘packing’, but I can only assume they’ve run out of tape as I’ve not heard anything since ;-p

I got the same email Friday,though it did state it was a pre-order and had the date of 31st Jan 21 as release date. 

So tbh I have no clue when to expect it. 

27 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

4k/120 is REALLY not worth a lot of additional expense.

It’s looks incrementally better than 4K/60 imo. I have LG screens that do both - and honestly wouldn’t bother spending a fortune on it as its simply not worth it.

LG screens are however amazeballs, so if you haven’t got an OLED one of those - then push the button as you wont regret it, but I wouldn’t stress about the amp just yet.

I currently have a 4k LG LCD that also does 3D.  5 yrs old this year and the LG OLEDs do look like a bit of a leap. 

11 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I got the same email Friday,though it did state it was a pre-order and had the date of 31st Jan 21 as release date. 

So tbh I have no clue when to expect it. 

Yeah I saw the pre-order thing. Oh well fingers crossed it’s soon. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

What if you already have >1 year?