Xbox Series X | S

8 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Okay. You’re probably right. However...

On secondary machine (not the primary) set it to auto login as the main account and the kids logon to play with their accounts with the primary account logged in in the background. 

I was sure I was able to still login and play games on the primary in that sense as long as my account wasn’t logged into a game on the secondary. 

Basically I thought you could be logged on in 2 places at once as long as only one of those places was playing games. I’m probably wrong though. 

I have 3 machines and I ended up getting 2 ultimate subs and we set it up around that. They did have and probably should have a family option where you can get kids on their own ultimate accounts though for sure. They will (justifiably) charge more for it though. 

I’m a bit confused about that situation. My son uses my Xbox One X, with it set to primary for my account. He plays games on his own profile there. Meanwhile, I have my Series X here as a secondary console. I’ve never had a problem with us both playing at the same time or any login issues. I’m on GPU and he isn’t, but he can play my whole library on the ‘primary’ console while logged into it on his profile anyway. So I’m not sure what the conflict is.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Indeed and all of that before runs well on my 5 year old PC. Sure it may not be 4K@60fps but I get a great experience.

Yeah I’m not disagreeing with their strategy but it doesn’t alter the fact that there have been no recent releases across the Xbox format yet there have on PC. I think it’s a temporary blip though - this is happening across all formats at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I’m not disagreeing with their strategy but it doesn’t alter the fact that there have been no recent releases across the Xbox format yet there have on PC. I think it’s a temporary blip though - this is happening across all formats at the moment. 

Ah get you.... Yes true AAA first party exclusives have been pretty much non existent last year on Xbox.... Think their last big exclusive was Forza Horizon 4?! Over two ago... 

40 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I’m a bit confused about that situation. My son uses my Xbox One X, with it set to primary for my account. He plays games on his own profile there. Meanwhile, I have my Series X here as a secondary console. I’ve never had a problem with us both playing at the same time or any login issues. I’m on GPU and he isn’t, but he can play my whole library on the ‘primary’ console while logged into it on his profile anyway. So I’m not sure what the conflict is.

Yeah it works that way around (which is why we have it set that way) but not in reverse.

Our living room machine is the primary as it’s the one the kids use most and it’s the home console and you choose which user logs in and all them can use my ultimate even though my account is not logged in.

The secondary auto logs in to me but the kids will switch profiles to use their accounts. I can play on the secondary and they play on the primary no problems, but if they are on the secondary I can’t use the primary as the secondary needs my account actively logged in to play anything on Ultimate.

Normally I’ll just use my laptop when they are gaming, but it is annoying I can’t use my new shiny machine if they unusually decide to use the older one.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Ah get you.... Yes true AAA first party exclusives have been pretty much non existent last year on Xbox.... Think their last big exclusive was Forza Horizon 4?! Over two ago... 

Gears 5, Crackdown 3 (very underrated game IMO)

edit. And Ori, although that’s also on Switch.

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Microsoft are to hold a Bethesda focused event in March according to Jeff Grubb on a podcast. 

Interesting timing. I wonder if this will replace the usual Bethesda E3 conference? Could be the first big publisher moving out of the summer news overload window. 

7 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Just make yours their primary and theirs yours.

Oh they get to nominate a primary too? Didn't think of that. It's still a crappy solution and doesn't scale past 2 machines.

But thanks, I'll give that a whirl. 

Anyway, anyone with game pass should try Grounded. Blimey, what a great looking game. Love the graphical style. 

27 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Interesting timing. I wonder if this will replace the usual Bethesda E3 conference? Could be the first big publisher moving out of the summer news overload window. 

The deal is due to be finalised by 5th March for EU approval. Until then they cannot talk about it as they don't own them yet. This is more likely the factor behind the timing.

29 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It's because their deal will have finalised and Microsoft will be finally able to reveal their plans.  Until then Microsoft legally can't say what they're doing with the Zenimax brands.

EDIT: Beaten by milliseconds.

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Lets hope they have some unseen stuff that prompted the purchase beyond what we might expect.

New Wolfenstein game is practically finished according to some rumors

We don't know what one Arkane studio has been working on (the one that is not doing Deathloop)

TES 6 maybe a Fable like teaser

Starfield (some say it is close to finished)

Fallout 5, probably better done by one of the "fallout clone" studios like Obsidian or InExile

I personally hope for a Quake 2 spiritual successor 

And, wait for it, I hope all Bethesda's previous games will be patched/remastered for Xbox Series: Dishonored 1&2, both Evil Within games, all Wolfenstein ga es, both Doom games, Prey etc. The thing Microsoft stands for right now is game preservation and continuously updating games to run optimally on modern consoles is a good start. Respect your legacy. PlayStation 5 apparently cannot run my purchased PS1 games while my PS2, Vita and PS3 could do so without a hiccup. It's a joke really. 

Is it really that dire? They were quite clear when the exclusives would roll out, we all went into Series ownership knowing what it's about. We're what, half a year in almost, and we've already got one that will come before the 2 years (Flight Sim). 

But yes, you'd think this year we'd start to see announcements of these machines stretching their legs. 

16 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

lol

Lets hope they have some unseen stuff that prompted the purchase beyond what we might expect.

I don't reckon there'll be anything to show that isn't already talked about.

Obviously the big question that's waiting to be clearly and definitively answered is where those games will (and won't) be playable.  If they can reveal some ETAs on the games we do know about, that'll be something.

On the other hand, a show isn't much of a show without footage and they'll want some hype and press. 

Hopefully it won't just be Fallout76, now at 60fps!!!1!!

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

But yes, you'd think this year we'd start to see announcements of these machines stretching their legs. 

Problem is that the software and SDK side simply isn't finished. 

Look at the botched PlayStation UI and store redesign. And also some of the RDNA 2 features from AMD aren't ready, like the machine-learning based upscaling that AMD and Microsoft are collaborating on. If you see how much of a difference DLSS makes on the PC side for many games, you can figure out how important this is and the reality is that today, this feature is not activated/implemented. Every single game will run smoother and look better once it is implemented. 

But yes I bought a Series X knowing that it will likely be 2023 before we start seeing the heavy hitters and result of Microsoft's 5-year rebuilding effort.

54 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

Is Xbox One and Series X dlc region-free?

For example if I own Ass Creed Valhalla US version, will dlc from the UK store work with it?

DLC is region free on Xbox. There may be some exceptions but I've never encountered any. 

5 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Not sure I understand your point but there's plenty on here buy their games from Venezuela/ Romania/Narnia to save a few quid who will probably be able to answer it with a yes.

There's a US copy of Ass Creed Valhalla in my local game shop.  Here in Japan, Xbox One games are like rocking horse shit.

If I pick it up, can I later buy dlc from the UK online Xbox store which works with my physical US game?

That was my point / question.

Thank you Marlew

16 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

lol

Elder Scrolls 6 a 6 month timed exclusive, but 'softening the blow' with a Morrowind remake exclusive to Xbox.

II don’t think they will, I don’t think they’re that precious about exclusives anymore. They’re playing the long game and they’ll be used to push Game Pass further and further into peoples consciousness. You could buy Elder Scrolls VI for PlayStation for £64.99 or you could have it day one at no extra cost as part of your subscription. 

This is why Xbox will ultimately win this generation, PlayStation has run out of steam in Japan which leaves MS on much firmer footing in other territories, and ‘Netflix for games’ will become the norm - I have mixed feelings about that too but it’s what will happen, especially when coupled with Xcloud. 

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You could buy Elder Scrolls VI for PlayStation for £64.99 or you could have it day one at no extra cost as part of your subscription

I think more likely sales of those games on PlayStation will be damaged, at least on initial release. But the difference is not as much as the headline anyway if the game is then traded-in etc.

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

They'll all be Xbox/Game Pass/PC exclusive. With the exception of continuing online MMO's Fallout76 and ESO.

I only say that because I'm assuming a fair amount of work on a PS5 version would have to be written off if it's exclusive to MS infastructure. But equally can appreciarte the value of exclusives. Just got to start remembering to think of Bethesda as Microsoft rather than their own entity, I guess.

I mean, I have no dog in the fight and would rather everybody could get hold of everything they wanted to play regardless of platform

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

II don’t think they will, I don’t think they’re that precious about exclusives anymore. They’re playing the long game and they’ll be used to push Game Pass further and further into peoples consciousness. You could buy Elder Scrolls VI for PlayStation for £64.99 or you could have it day one at no extra cost as part of your subscription. 

This is why Xbox will ultimately win this generation, PlayStation has run out of steam in Japan which leaves MS on much firmer footing in other territories, and ‘Netflix for games’ will become the norm - I have mixed feelings about that too but it’s what will happen, especially when coupled with Xcloud. 

If Microsoft wanted to put those games on Gamepass, they could do it without buying the company. If they wanted to sell games to PlayStation owners, they'd make a lot by putting Halo on PlayStation.  

And yet, they did buy the company and they haven't put Halo on PlayStation. 

I think Boozy's summation is correct. 

15 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

If Microsoft wanted to put those games on Gamepass, they could do it without buying the company. If they wanted to sell games to PlayStation owners, they'd make a lot by putting Halo on PlayStation.  

And yet, they did buy the company and they haven't put Halo on PlayStation. 

I think Boozy's summation is correct. 

I’m fairly certain it’s up to the publisher when/if their game goes on Game Pass. If it’s that simple every game would be on there day one already.

And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Xcloud and Game Pass made its way to other systems with Halo, Forza, the whole damn lot. It’s just a matter of time. 

Like I said they’re playing the long game, ultimately Xbox Game Pass will just be an app you open on whatever device you choose, but that’s probably ten years away, that’s their goal though. 

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m fairly certain it’s up to the publisher when/if their game goes on Game Pass. If it’s that simple every game would be on there day one already.

Yes, a publisher could refuse to have their game on gamepass, you are correct as far as I'm aware. However, I stand by the idea that Bethesda / Zenimax, who have already had titles on Gamepass, would have allowed Microsoft to pay for their titles to be on gamepass earlier in the game's life for less money than Microsoft put down to buy the company.