Xbox Series X | S

If cloud delivery proves successful, Nintendo will have to go that way. Possibly the only way in us if they pitch a Nintendo cloud service to Nintendo based on GP architecture, with Gamepass becoming an add on sunscription. That could then work on reverse on Xbox. 

I think that's probably a number of years way if it was to happen though. Nintendo also have a deal with Nvidia, who could also provide the infrastructure. 

I've only skimmed the last few pages but I can definitely see Gamepass being offered to other consoles. Not sure Nintendo or Sony would accept but I'm sure MS would be delighted to be on both Switch and PS5. 

Let's face facts, the money in the long term is based on us all paying a monthly subscription to play games. Selling a box every 5 years is not where the profit is - the profit is eventually getting us all to pay MS £10 a month direct. 

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

There just doesn't seem much point. Everyone who has a Switch and pays for GP almost certainly has a phone with similar size screen to the Switch. Not to mention the Switch triggers aren't a good match. 

My phone screen looks a lot smaller than a switches but the internet says it’s 6”. It’s an iPhone though so no streaming/xcloud for me cos reasons :( 

24 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Apart from all the massive profit that’s been made, yeah you’re absolutely right.

I thought the actual box often made a loss. Its the games which make the money. And why a regular subscription income is the wholly grail for most companies these days. 

36 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

My phone screen looks a lot smaller than a switches but the internet says it’s 6”. It’s an iPhone though so no streaming/xcloud for me cos reasons :( 

Yeah, it was an approximation. You can definitely play games on your phone, although I haven't tried many to see how the UI scales.

edit - I think what I was getting at is that there are other means of portable xCloud, and there are incoming means of TV xCloud. Obviously, aside from adjusting for the joycons, there's merit for MS, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Nintendo to have GP. I also don't buy that we'll all do streaming, thus Nintendo needs a streaming solution (something someone else brought up). Switch downloads are small, and making people buy a big SD card is better than spinning up global infrastructure to support streaming.

Web xCloud streaming coming soon for you!

15 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I thought the actual box often made a loss. Its the games which make the money. And why a regular subscription income is the wholly grail for most companies these days. 

I think Nintendo and Sony are still happy with the current model. They both get sub money from their online services anyway.

14 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I think Nintendo and Sony are still happy with the current model. They both get sub money from their online services anyway.

I mean, the fact that they both have a subscription model certainly implies to me that they both place some importance on this revenue stream going forwards. 

35 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I think the Xbox one was sold at break even but the series X is definitely being sold at a loss, but I assume as time goes by the components get cheaper. I think you're right that games are by far the lion's share of the money.

10 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I mean, the fact that they both have a subscription model certainly implies to me that they both place some importance on this revenue stream going forwards. 

Yeah but I don’t think it implies they want to replace their current, very lucrative, business model with a subscription service. Especially if they already have both.

Maybe one day sure, but I don’t think you can definitively point to anything at the moment as evidence of Sony and Nintendo wanting to move in that direction.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Sony's Jim Ryan already said they were working on a response to Game Pass a while back. You can bet it's coming. "The best deal in gaming" narrative is something they probably not too happy with it. I believe they will settle for an EA Play type of model with 1> year old 1st party games in the subscription... and maybe some newer 3rd party games. Also PS Now is already close to that service, just not really marketed heavily by Sony. 

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Sony's Jim Ryan already said they were working on a response to Game Pass a while back. You can bet it's coming. "The best deal in gaming" narrative is something they probably not too happy with it. I believe they will settle for an EA Play type of model with 1> year old 1st party games in the subscription... and maybe some newer 3rd party games. Also PS Now is already close to that service, just not really marketed heavily by Sony. 

Yeah agreed.

In addition to their current model though. I don’t think it will be replacing individual releases.

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

Good lord, I hope it doesn't replace it. I want to buy a new box every few years, it's cheaper than paying for the absurd data xCloud uses. 

Why aren’t people rioting in the streets about data caps in the US? 

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

You’d be surprised what you can get away with under the heading “Destiny manifest”

the right to bear arms

no free healthcare

data caps

they probably just accept it because it’s always been like that, and that’s what makes America great: free enterprise

god bless capitalism!

36 minutes ago, SeanR said:

You’d be surprised what you can get away with under the heading “Destiny manifest”

the right to bear arms

no free healthcare

data caps

they probably just accept it because it’s always been like that, and that’s what makes America great: free enterprise

god bless capitalism!

Under this narrative the great U S A is rapidly becoming a 3rd world authoritarian banana country. Right under their noses and they all fail to see it let even act on it. Look at the astronomical rise of China which can be directly link to the collapse of the American dream (and they are actively fueling it by moving all their production there). American's misunderstanding of the world "Freedom" will be their demise.

All of this is no surprise... and the irony is that China and Russia are using America's own weapons against them: mass media, social media and micro-targeting/advertising. And the great U S A just stands by and watches how hostile states are poisoning and destroying their society.  

2 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Managed to get a pre order in at accessories warehouse for delivery in April/May. Might be something someone else wants to do too.

Is that the best we can hope for at the moment, two or three months off to get a Series X :blink:

Just now, Stanley said:

Is that the best we can hope for at the moment, two or three months of to get a Series X :blink:

I got notifications about it being in stock at Very twice last week and once at The Game Collection.

Very sold out within 60 seconds each time, and TGC had them in £700 bundles.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is that the best we can hope for at the moment, two or three months off to get a Series X :blink:

I have no idea but i do like the peace of mind knowing that I have one coming

6 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

The cable lobbyists are in the middle of making municipal broadband illegal. Nothing is going to shake things up until everyone has a viable alternative to their (probable) one internet provider. For example, Starlink.