IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

They're two very different prospects.

Through game pass, they "released" a lot of Bethesda games on Android and iOS recently...

MS Explicitly don't care what device you use for game pass, they want you to use game pass.

On Nintendo's side it's more interesting but your post would be more appropriate if the rumour was Super Mario on Xbox in return, which it isn't, because that would be stupid.  There WOULD be benefits to Nintendo in a massive game library for their machine though, there's no denying that.  Whether they'll go for it who knows but it's absolutely no comparison to "MS will pay to port native exclusives to the direct competitor" at all.

And even then, if Sony went mad and allowed gamepass on PS5, MS would put it there in 2 seconds.

I was talking more about the type of people who run off to fantasy town at the slightest rumour from some no-name on social media, rather than the exact scenarios being a perfect correlation. 

25 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I was talking more about the type of people who run off to fantasy town at the slightest rumour from some no-name on social media, rather than the exact scenarios being a perfect correlation. 

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of wild speculation though and MS must be doing something right at the moment to keep people talking about the Series consoles.

It’ll probably be something and nothing, but it’s only a bit of fun to make stuff up.

On 12/04/2021 at 12:29, Mr Tony said:

Any word on the official wireless headset coming to the UK? It has an RRP for £90 but not available anywhere. Only place I have found is ebay at about £15o

Walked into my local Game in Bromley this afternoon and bought  the official wireless headset from them (they had 3 in stock), so may be worth checking at your nearest branch.

Got a shiny new Series X in today. Played a lot of 360 games back in the day, looking forward to seeing what works (and what doesn’t) there... but the Xbox One was a dust gatherer next to the PS4 last generation. Looking for recommendations on what to play/pick up (esp. as lots of XB1 stuff is dirt cheap now second-hand).

Yes, I know Gamepass is a thing. Weighing that one up, but I do rather like having disc collections. Call it a quirk. What should I play?

4 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Got a shiny new Series X in today. Played a lot of 360 games back in the day, looking forward to seeing what works (and what doesn’t) there... but the Xbox One was a dust gatherer next to the PS4 last generation. Looking for recommendations on what to play/pick up (esp. as lots of XB1 stuff is dirt cheap now second-hand).

Yes, I know Gamepass is a thing. Weighing that one up, but I do rather like having disc collections. Call it a quirk. What should I play?

I would still consider Gamepass if I were you. It's only the cost of a couple of new games and you'll have access to 3 years of first party games moving forward and also a lot of quirky games that you might otherwise ignore. I'm probably just teaching you to suck eggs, but really, give it some thought!

And a lot of quirky and excellent games that aren't available on disc anyway. And an excellent way of playing full games as a demo before commiting to disc purchase. And for trying out games/genres you usually never would. And if you want to play online anyway, then for 1 quid you can convert 3 years Gold to 3 years Game Pass Ultimate which includes Gold and Game Pass PC - you would buy Gold anyway so uuuhm @loathsomeleopard what would be the reason *not* to do it? Surely not that £1! :)

37 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

What kind of games do you like?

Try the following from the 360 era

Forza Horizon

Assassin's Creed

Fable 1 -3

Fallout 3

Mirror's Edge

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Viva Pinata

Crackdown

Driver San Francisco

Any Earth Defense force

Oblivion

Geometry Wars 1 & 2

GTA IV

Ninja Gaiden 2

Red Dead Redemption

Gears of War 1-3

Halo 3

Witcher 2

Most of if not all of them benefit from increased resolution and more stable framerates.

44 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Get 3 years gamepass. You won't regret it. 

Having an xbox and not having gamepass is lunacy imo. 

Ignore the gamepass evangelists and do what you want. They ignored everything you said after all.

Re Xbox One games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_enhanced_games

Thats the  list of games that got one X improvements.

You can't go wrong with Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and Gears 5 to see what the new box does best right now. If you insist on buying physical watch some video comparisons before splashing the cash would be my reccomendation.

21 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

You can't go wrong with Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and Gears 5 to see what the new box does best right now. If you insist on buying physical watch some video comparisons before splashing the cash would be my reccomendation.

All on gamepass. First months a quid. :P

1 hour ago, loathsomeleopard said:

If XBO largely gathered dust last gen then well perhaps it isn't your bag :) Not a huge amount of XBO exclusive games were released to disk - Usual suspects including Forzas, Halos, Gears Of War probably some others. Lots of digital content. Found Rare Replay has a good mix of retro games on for cheap if you like their games. Covers a broad range of gaming right back to the Spectrum.

Depends what type of games you enjoy playing really. 

As others have mentioned pay for a single month of GamePass and have a blast on that. Cheap way of finding out what you like playing lots of 360 and Xbox One content on there to try.

If you want the big cracking console

exclusives and want to buy them all individually then:

Forza Horizon 2, 3 and 4

Sea of Thieves

Sunset Overdrive

Both Ori Games

Halo MCC

State of Decay 2

Rare Replay

Tetris Effect Connected

Gears 5

Gears Tactics

Halo Wars 2

Forza 7

Others that were not as well recieved but are still fun imo:

Crackdown 3

Battletoads

Ryse

Quantum Break

Every one of these is on gamepass. 

3 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Honestly, Gamepass has been a revelation to me, I can't imagine not having it.

3 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Mate you can’t stroll into the church and say you’re only here for the decor.

4 hours ago, Ry said:

If you want the big cracking console

exclusives and want to buy them all individually then:

Forza Horizon 2, 3 and 4

Every one of these is on gamepass. 

Minor point of order, Horizon 2 and 3 are not on game pass.

6 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Shhhh Look he's a playstation guy they don't get it.  You have to ease them in to the new way of things. I was the same when CDs came out. I'll never buy one was my mantra. Vinyl forever. He'll figure it out in time.:sherlock:

Nah, not at all — I’ve never been a “brand” guy when it comes to consoles at all (I mean, technically, I guess I own more SNES games than anything, but that discussion belongs over in the retro folder).

Was more interested in what people would recommend, I rather prefer owning than renting games (esp. as they can  be pulled from Gamepass, and browsing there there’s a lot of stuff that I *have* played already in any case, mostly on PC, sometimes as PS4, it varies). Thanks all for the genuine recommendations, not so much for the scorn.

21 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Nah, not at all — I’ve never been a “brand” guy when it comes to consoles at all (I mean, technically, I guess I own more SNES games than anything, but that discussion belongs over in the retro folder).

Was more interested in what people would recommend, I rather prefer owning than renting games (esp. as they can  be pulled from Gamepass, and browsing there there’s a lot of stuff that I *have* played already in any case, mostly on PC, sometimes as PS4, it varies). Thanks all for the genuine recommendations, not so much for the scorn.

I have a 14 day Game Pass trial for new customers if that would help change your mind 

Come on guys. The benefits of Gamepass are clear but we do sound like hardcore missionaries at times. 

Although to many not having it seems INSANE people play games differently and even I, a big paid up for 3 years gamepass fan I can see why some people would get by fine without it. 

They are and I'm not ignoring them (and apologies for any ruffled feathers, etc) -- I'll almost certainly do both, but given the whole issues around (for example) what Sony's doing with the PS3/Vita stores, etc, there are certain games that I do prefer to own. MS isn't flawless in this regard -- technically speaking, I should still be able to access the Jabba's Palace DLC for Star Wars Battlefront (OG Xbox), because that was the first (and only) DLC for that system I ever purchased. And yet no.

5 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

They are and I'm not ignoring them (and apologies for any ruffled feathers, etc) -- I'll almost certainly do both, but given the whole issues around (for example) what Sony's doing with the PS3/Vita stores, etc, there are certain games that I do prefer to own. MS isn't flawless in this regard -- technically speaking, I should still be able to access the Jabba's Palace DLC for Star Wars Battlefront (OG Xbox), because that was the first (and only) DLC for that system I ever purchased. And yet no.

Question: are you planning on subscribing to Xbox Live? If yes, then you might as well pay 1 quid extra to convert your Live sub to Game Pass ultimate. Don't look at it like a rental system, but as a way to demo games to see if you like them. What GP excels at is letting you discover new things, unlike with disc purchases you can try out genres you usually wouldn't touch and discover something new and wonderful. And then you can buy the disc or the digital version (loads of indie games simply don't come out on disc) at a discount.

I wasn't really convinced by the concept myself, but since trying out Game Pass with that 1 quid deal I've not only finished a lot more games than usual, I've had a blast trying all kinds of different stuff out and discovering fantastic new experiences. It's been transformative for my enjoyment of this hobby. That's why people insist you try it at least. Maybe it won't be for you, fair enough, but 9 times out of 10 people come back to the thread basking in enthusiasm. But even if it turns out you don't like it, it will have cost you 1 quid so no big loss :)

7 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

I think if you want ideas what games to buy physically for your new console then go on the store and check out the X|S enhanced section to see what’s available.

It’s difficult knowing what to recommend when we don’t know what you’re into or what you’ve already played multi format wise, I mean we’re talking 4 generations worth of content here.

I quite enjoyed The Medium but I don’t know whether I’d recommend buying it outright, and there’s no physical release yet anyway, but it is an X|S exclusive. 

To clarify, I was more looking towards Xbox One stuff (but not Rare Replay, which I've had since day 1 and still remains great) -- I'm very well across the 360 and OG Xbox generations in terms of games still owned and able to play.

Which is why a surprising quantity of my first hours with the new machine were spent playing Nights Into Dreams. Because you can never have too many copies of that game.

27 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

To clarify, I was more looking towards Xbox One stuff (but not Rare Replay, which I've had since day 1 and still remains great) -- I'm very well across the 360 and OG Xbox generations in terms of games still owned and able to play.

Which is why a surprising quantity of my first hours with the new machine were spent playing Nights Into Dreams. Because you can never have too many copies of that game.

I mean if it’s Xbox One exclusives you’d like recommendations for I’d definitely suggest the two Ori games, they’re beautiful looking games and quite challenging too. 

I also really enjoyed Crackdown 3, it gets a bit of bad rep but it’s just a really enjoyable game you can dive in and out of. If you liked the original you’ll like it. 

Another game some people might turn their noses up at is Halo 5, but again I really enjoyed it and if you like multiplayer it is IMO the finest arena FPS ever made. It also looks incredible, and Gears 5 is great too in that respect, even more so as it’s an enhanced for X|S title. 

I would also strongly recommend these if you haven’t played them:

Dishonored 1&2 

Prey

Middle Earth Shadow of War

Doom Eternal

Dragon Quest XI

Tetris Effect Connected

Control

Sekiro

Minecraft Dungeons

Streets of Rage 4

I've just bought Cyberpunk 2077 but I haven’t played it yet, from what I’ve heard though it runs really well on Series X. 

Enjoy your new console it’s awesome :)

10 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Me either, strangely that hasn't stopped people accusing me of being a "fanboy" of I think literally every console in existence at this point.