Xbox Series X | S

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I got the Elite 1 for free and loved it.

I loved it for a couple of months until the rubber peeled off and one of the bumpers stopped working. Build quality on those things at that pricepoint was shocking. :/

As good as the v2 is, I think the consensus it to wait for v3 and hope they’ve addressed the build quality.

I've got an Elite 2 and it's generally pretty great. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. It's hefty with nice grips and you can adjust the sticks to your personal preference (I ended up choosing a slightly taller right stick with more tension, for greater accuracy, but you have lots of choices). The back paddles are an absolute game-changer and I would miss them greatly if I ever went back to a normal pad. There are a lot more features on the thing like adjusting dead zones and setting up shift functions for the paddles that I've never touched, but they're there if you want them. Dropping it into the case to charge at the end of a session is great and I never have to think about batteries.

The only thing I would say is that - while the Elite 2 was a clear improvement on the Xbox One pad in every respect - I marginally prefer the form factor of the Series X pad in some ways. An Elite 3 with all the improvements from the Elite 2 and the form factor/d-pad of the Series X pad would be an absolute winner... and is surely on the way at some point.

I’ve heard about other people’s issues but will say mine seems fine and I’m fussy about build quality. The version 1 was pretty shit but, if you get a good one it seems, no probs with version 2. 

My v2 has the broken shoulder buttons which is very common. Common enough for me not to recommend getting one.

I fixed it by taking it apart and making the shim between the button and contact button bigger but it still fails to respond occasionally.

My v1 had no problems which I think was lucky and apart from the dodgy shoulder buttons I love the v2, but wouldn't buy another until v3.

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Care to elaborate why?

Sorry, I've waxed lyrical about the paddles so many times I feel bad going on about them any more! But that's the sole reason, really: the paddles. Like @Garwoofoo, they are literally game-changing. I really miss them when I play a PS5 game. I mainly use the paddles for carrying out d-pad functions so I can do stuff without taking my thumb off the movement stick. This really benefits the flow and feel of 3D action games, in my opinion, to the extent that I genuinely feel like many games are significantly improved as a result. I've been playing Days Gone a lot recently and having to stop running to use a healing item, or set off a remote charge, just fucks with the flow. I end up slowly reaching across to the d-pad with my right hand, sometimes swiping the trackpad by mistake and ending up in a menu screen, which also makes my character stop running. It's resulted in a few untimely deaths while on the run from a horde.

If they stuck two paddles on the regular Series pad then I wouldn't bother with an Elite. I don't use any other functions, except for occasionally the hair trigger locks.

54 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I loved it for a couple of months until the rubber peeled off and one of the bumpers stopped working. Build quality on those things at that pricepoint was shocking. :/

At the price point I got it for, I have no complaints! But yeah for the absurd amount of money they're asking, it should be of a high quality build.

I think basically everyone's elite version 1 had the rubber grips peeling off eventually. Mine certainly did and the only controller issues I had ever had before that were the rubber sticks peeling on the early dual shock 4 controllers.

No issues with my elite 2 and I've had it for nearly a year, touchwood. The build quality from other reports does still seem like it could be better though.

I got a secondhand Elite v1 (hence why it was free, a friend of mine upgraded to v2) and it's still fine! I haven't used it since getting an Series X controller but up until that point it was in daily use almost. Just lucky I guess and I hope I haven't jinxed it by posting this.

My Version 2 Elite has a sticky left trigger (caused by a small sticky pad becoming loose) which was easy to fix.

The right bumper no longer works because of the issues raised in other posts above.

It was replaced by MS 3 times and always the same fails. It's now out of warranty - absolute junk for the price you pay.

I loved my elite 1, the weight and grip was perfect. But after about 18-24 months the grips started swelling badly. I replaced the back grip sections but the front kept expanding and coming away. I eventually sold it on eBay to replace it with an elite 2. I preferred the look and feel of the elite 1 tbh, but everything was fine until I started getting the RB rapid double clicking problem. This ruined games like Gears of War completely. I returned the elite 2 to amazon and was able to get a full refund. I really look after my stuff, never dropped either controller, so can only say I am disappointed with the build quality of both elites, especially when compared to the price paid.

I just use my series x controller now, which is really great and no problems so far. 

I think build quality on Xbox One controllers is often a bit suspect anyway, perhaps the reported issues with Elites are just because they're typically the second controllers that people do buy.

Certainly I've had issues with sticking buttons on multiple Xbox controllers, and on one memorable occasion a broken rumble that caused the controller to vibrate like (and make the noise of) a steel ball bearing being shaken around in a Coke can. But my Elite 2 has been flawless since I bought it.

I haven't heard of many people with defective Series X controllers so hopefully they are beginning to address their quality control issues.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think build quality on Xbox One controllers is often a bit suspect anyway, perhaps the reported issues with Elites are just because they're typically the second controllers that people do buy.

Certainly I've had issues with sticking buttons on multiple Xbox controllers, and on one memorable occasion a broken rumble that caused the controller to vibrate like (and make the noise of) a steel ball bearing being shaken around in a Coke can. But my Elite 2 has been flawless since I bought it.

I haven't heard of many people with defective Series X controllers so hopefully they are beginning to address their quality control issues.

Unfortunately my Series X pad has a sticky right trigger after only moderate use since February. I use my Elite 2 and my little boy uses the Series X. I’ve done a bit research and it seems it’s very common and it’s to do with a rubber pad coming loose. 

Luckily I got an extra controller due to having to buy a bundle. I haven’t bothered to send it off to Microsoft yet as it’s a massive pain in the arse as I’ve not got a UPS centre nearby. 

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

Unfortunately my Series X pad has a sticky right trigger after only moderate use since February. I use my Elite 2 and my little boy uses the Series X. I’ve done a bit research and it seems it’s very common and it’s to do with a rubber pad coming loose. 

Luckily I got an extra controller due to having to buy a bundle. I haven’t bothered to send it off to Microsoft yet as it’s a massive pain in the arse as I’ve not got a UPS centre nearby. 

Yes it's common. I had the same issue with my Right Trigger on my Series X Controller. Luckily I had a local shop that did UPS collections so I sent mine off for repair. It took about 17 days in total but now the Right Trigger is all good. Hopefully it will last.

I have two elite v1s and they are by far and away the best controllers I've ever had. The paddles, the longer sticks and ability to shorten the trigger throw are brilliant. However the grips are crap. My initial elite v1 which my son now uses had the grips super glued back on by me, but have come off again. In the end I thought I'd try this out for him and he loves it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PU5ISVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll be getting another one of those when the grips on my elite give up the ghost. I've had no other issues with them and nothing has broken, unlike two of my original xbox one pads which both had broken right bumpers.

Anyone else unable to access all their games? Getting bounced straight out from login to Store on everything. Few others having the same problem.

Sounds like a Forza update broke everything (perhaps they need to take it off the store for the Precedent, like Returnal right?). 

Yeah, trying to play Nier Automata and it keeps telling me I don’t have a GamePass subscription. I thought if you set a console as your home console you were supposed to be able to play offline for a while.

7 minutes ago, theredstar said:

It does make you realise how fragile digital ownership is.  Suddenly, Gamepass is broken, and even games you purchased won’t load.

I'm pretty sure if your Xbox is flagged as the Home console and you set yourself offline you'll still be able to play Gamepass games. 

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Hmm, is this why FH4 just quit to Home Screen when I tried to play it earlier? I gave up and played Fortnite so should be ok once they’ve sorted it?

55 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Anyone else unable to access all their games? Getting bounced straight out from login to Store on everything. Few others having the same problem.

Sounds like a Forza update broke everything (perhaps they need to take it off the store for the Precedent, like Returnal right?). 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S