IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Just now, JPL said:

Halo is the big one for me though.

I don't know why you do it to yourself, it's completely obvious to me that you won't like it and you'll go back to CE, like you've been doing forever.  They're not going to make a Halo you like as much,  not even close,  ever. 

6 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I don't know why you do it to yourself, it's completely obvious to me that you won't like it and you'll go back to CE, like you've been doing forever.  They're not going to make a Halo you like as much,  not even close,  ever. 

I'm forever an optimist!

15 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

100% this. 

They'll try and tick loads of boxes and unless you love all kinds of games equally there'll be bits you don't find compelling. 

Every single title that's shown will be a miss in some way for part of the audience.

There'll be CGI. 

There'll be games with 2022 release dates that everyone knows have already slipped into 2023.

There'll be the same franchises that people always say they're sick of. 

There'll be not enough games shown from the Zenimax acquisition for people to not say "lol, 7.5bn for that"

I'll be tuning in for sure. I'll be looking at my phone for half of it.

Sounds like fucking heaven 🤗 E3 baby 😍

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

I get what you're saying (and I've said this before), but Sony don't seem to be struggling with games for the PS5. They've had a nice steady stream of AAA games since launch, which looks like continuing. I just want MS to do the same and now is the perfect time to kick that off.

Sony have the opposite problem though in that the Pandemic amongst other factors is affecting their ability to produce sufficient hardware.  To the extent that Xbox Series consoles outsold PS5 in the UK in both March and April.  I know MS have hardware supply problems as well, but I get the impression they are in a better place to resolve them going forward, and that could have a big impact on how this generation pans out over the next few years.

90 minutes is plenty of time if they have created a presentation to show actual gameplay footage. However, if they pad it out with non playable cut scenes from games and developers talking shit about how immersive the environments are and how emergent the gameplay is they can fuck right off with that running length. 

3 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Sony have the opposite problem though in that the Pandemic amongst other factors is affecting their ability to produce sufficient hardware.  To the extent that Xbox Series consoles outsold PS5 in the UK in both March and April.  I know MS have hardware supply problems as well, but I get the impression they are in a better place to resolve them going forward, and that could have a big impact on how this generation pans out over the next few years.

I think the problem for me is that MS have been promising us games for so long now it’s becoming a bit of a joke. Don’t get me wrong, I love pretty much everything about Xbox - the console, the controller, Gamepass, etc but they really need to start delivering some AAA games now. Their time for talking is up.

1 hour ago, Robo_1 said:

90 mins bodes well, should have plenty to talk about! When it's confirmed who's showing when, I'll make a start on this years threads. :)

Man I always look forward to your threads! 

58 minutes ago, JPL said:

I get what you're saying (and I've said this before), but Sony don't seem to be struggling with games for the PS5. They've had a nice steady stream of AAA games since launch, which looks like continuing. I just want MS to do the same and now is the perfect time to kick that off.

Halo is the big one for me though. They better have an amazing showing of that and a nailed on release date very soon, or people will be rightly giving them a lot of shit.

The PlayStation Studios stream of games is something that they've been working on and honing since, probably the move to sharing technology with Uncharted 2, so around 2009. At that same time, I was at a studio under MGS and the cull of first-party studios was very real, with the remaining ones working on Kinect games or other strange apps. 

To build all of this back up and steer that ship takes a long time, and some projects have come to bear fruits, but all of this needs some stratigising in terms of release schedule and I personally feel, they've aligned things with this new generation in mind. It's a clean slate and we're currently in the early days.

They are coming, so I'm just enjoying the series X for what it is in the here and now, and as an owner of both machines, I have access to any major console game I feel like playing. It's good and feels nice. 

13 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The PlayStation Studios stream of games is something that they've been working on and honing since, probably the move to sharing technology with Uncharted 2, so around 2009. At that same time, I was at a studio under MGS and the cull of first-party studios was very real, with the remaining ones working on Kinect games or other strange apps. 

To build all of this back up and steer that ship takes a long time, and some projects have come to bear fruits, but all of this needs some stratigising in terms of release schedule and I personally feel, they've aligned things with this new generation in mind. It's a clean slate and we're currently in the early days.

They are coming, so I'm just enjoying the series X for what it is in the here and now, and as an owner of both machines, I have access to any major console game I feel like playing. It's good and feels nice. 

Oh yeah, I can imagine it takes years of planning, but it just feels like it’s time they need to start delivering now after years of talking it up.

I’m sorely tempted to get a PS5 and I probably will if everything from MS is still years away. I just don’t know if I can get over how it looks though, as stupid as that sounds. My setup is as minimal as possible as it’s out on display, plus it’s all black. So to have that hulking white thing with the stupid LED trim goes against everything I like.

The first world problems are real!

2021 and 2022 is still going to be spotty from a first party perspective, if you expect anything else I think you'll be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't expect much more between now and the end of 2022 other than Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 and Starfield. Which would still probably be the best first party output in an 18 month period for Microsoft for years.

Wildcards might be MachineGames and Compulsion, the latter of which have been extremely quiet since Microsoft acquired them. Dream case scenario, that Kojima exclusive rumour might come to fruition.

I'm also confused by the 'they've been promising for ageas now' line - other than Halo, what dates have they actually moved? It's not entirely fair to hold them up to release dates they've never actually announced. I think a lot of people made assumptions that were never official - even without taking the whole COVID stuff into account.

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm also confused by the 'they've been promising for ageas now' line - other than Halo, what dates have they actually moved? It's not entirely fair to hold them up to release dates they've never actually announced. I think a lot of people made assumptions that were never official - even without taking the whole COVID stuff into account.

I think it's more that Microsoft have a habit of saying that each E3 has their best ever line-up of games. Most of their recent E3 showings have been ok but they have had a tendency to over promise, even without saying anything specific. 

The time will come when they have a steady stream of first party content to rival Sony's but it's not going to come 3 years after they started building their first party up again. They just need to manage expectations a little better, which I sense they are doing this year.

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

I think it's more that Microsoft have a habit of saying that each E3 has their best ever line-up of games. Most of their recent E3 showings have been ok but they have had a tendency to over promise, even without saying anything specific. 

The time will come when they have a steady stream of first party content to rival Sony's but it's not going to come 3 years after they started building their first party up again. They just need to manage expectations a little better, which I sense they are doing this year.

This is it really. They need to be realistic and honest about what’s coming and when. I’m pretty sure they’ll have a good show though.

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

They need to be realistic and honest about what’s coming and when. I’m pretty sure they’ll have a good show though.

That's fair - I think gamers need to do the same though. Some people basically expect the moon on a stick everytime. It never happens, and this year certainly won't change that - some stuff will not be shown or is quite a way away that people will unrealistically expect to be imminent. Both sides need to be realistic, absolutely.

My expectations:
- Lengthy blow-outs for Infinite and Starfield
- Forzo Horizon Mexico reveal
- Reveal of Arkane's vampire game
- Smaller stuff/third-party games

Which would be cool, especially if we get lengthy gameplay demos/overviews of Infinite and Starfield.

I'm not expecting much on their other AAA games, though some people on Era are claiming Avowed will be shown, contrary to what Grubb thinks.

6 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

My expectations:

Which would be cool, especially if we get lengthy gameplay demos/overviews of Infinite and Starfield.

I'm not expecting much on their other AAA games, though some people on Era are claiming Avowed will be shown, contrary to what Grubb thinks.

+ a detailed explanation of how flight simulator is going to work in cross play without everything crashing.

24 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

My expectations:

In all seriousness, just Avowed and an Arkane vampire game would be enough to make it a fantastic E3 for me

33 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

My expectations:

Expect this will be mostly it. Although really hope FH isn't set in Mexico. Really hoping it will be Japan. 

Also expect some more news on Forza Motosport 8 or the next iteration of the Forza Motosport franchise turns out to be.

I wonder if they'll show any actual gameplay of Halo. 

If I were them, I'd be putting out an intensely choreographed video that has been examined forensically for anything that doesn't look absolutely perfect. 

They're screwed anyway, in terms of what the internet will do, because people will be desperate to find the worst looking frame of video.  

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

That's fair - I think gamers need to do the same though. Some people basically expect the moon on a stick everytime. It never happens, and this year certainly won't change that - some stuff will not be shown or is quite a way away that people will unrealistically expect to be imminent. Both sides need to be realistic, absolutely.

To be fair MS first party games have all but dried up, I don’t think expecting any release from them is asking too much at this stage - it’s been years since anything major came out on Xbox, sure they’ve had stuff like Gears Tactics and Ori, but even that was a year ago or more. Halo, Gears, Forza or any major AAA release were literally all years ago. 

On 26/05/2021 at 08:13, Dudley said:

Better than any other machine but still barely.

Bioshock, borderlands etc are the obvious ones but what's on your Animal Crossing cart is at this point about 10% of the game.

Also if the Switch counts as a current gen system, the Evercade does. They are both systems being sold now, getting new dedicated releases and are underpowered by a factor of generations of the big boy consoles.

What on earth is an Evercade?

I'm expecting an awful lot of that 45 minutes to be dedicated to

Gamepass = showing trailers of games we already know about

Backwards compatibility upgrades

EA Sports on gamepass and backwards compatibility

I'm also expecting a major surprise in there, which will have leaked along with all of the other content so the whole event feels like a letdown.

Just like every year though, I can't wait :)

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

BC programme restarted: Tenchu Z, Tenchu Return from Darkness, Chronicles of Riddick, and Outrun 2 first games out

New Jet Set Radiooooo revealed, Series only ((ie Boneless)

Avowed gameplay looking amazing

Elden Ring gameplay looking even more amazing

Alpha Protocol sequel revealed and New Vegas 2 teaser

OTOGI 3, BITCHES!

I hope not to see this, because if I do then it will assuredly mean I've died and gone to heaven.

(frankly, I'm just hoping they show something, anything new from Obsidian. Aside from a Grounded expansion)

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

To be fair MS first party games have all but dried up, I don’t think expecting any release from them is asking too much at this stage - it’s been years since anything major came out on Xbox, sure they’ve had stuff like Gears Tactics and Ori, but even that was a year ago or more. Halo, Gears, Forza or any major AAA release were literally all years ago. 

Gears Tactics was either at SX launch or shortly after wasn't it - not years (or do you mean the PC release?)

You are right though - I think it's clear they need to make a statement and show that they have some solid plans in place for the next 6-12-18 months. Fingers crossed!

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Gears Tactics was either at SX launch or shortly after wasn't it - not years (or do you mean the PC release?)

You are right though - I think it's clear they need to make a statement and show that they have some solid plans in place for the next 6-12-18 months. Fingers crossed!

Sorry I was referring to Ori but can see how my reply could be read as both that and Gears Tactics which, I think, was a launch title for Series X|S.

15 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I hope not to see this, because if I do then it will assuredly mean I've died and gone to heaven.

(frankly, I'm just hoping they show something, anything new from Obsidian. Aside from a Grounded expansion)

Hoping for Avowed footage and a New Vegas 2 reveal are probably the only two realistic things on my wishlist. Obsidian have indicated many times in yhe past that they want to do it.