Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Hmm - the wreckfest upgrade for the series x p, needs a patch!  I spotted foliage pop in and some framerate issues when turning a corner with a pack of cars. Also noticed a bit less wreckage strewn over the track. It does look fantastic though.

17 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

They've been working on it for years.

Yes (that car image is from them using Nvidia's tech on top of DirectML), now are looking to hire more people to work on it specifically, and only days after AMD launched their substandard effort. :lol: Looking to accelerate things perhaps.

1 hour ago, layten said:

Looks like Microsoft are looking at doing their own AI upscaling, not a surprise given AMD's version is a bit shit.

AMD's upscaling solution has had a lot of flak over the last couple of weeks but I've tried it out in Anno 1800 (which I play quite a bit) and I'm actually fairly impressed.

On my ageing 1070 card it's given me about a 30% performance increase on the highest-quality setting and the impact on the picture is minimal. It's basically allowed me to turn up the various graphic settings to almost maximum and retain the same performance I had before, without doubt the game looks better overall as a result.

I'm sure the Digital Foundry fans zooming in on tiny clusters of pixels at 400% will find things to fault but from my perspective it's been a great little performance upgrade - for free - on a card that doesn't support Nvidia's DLSS solution, and I can definitely see it having applications on the Xbox, particularly on the Series S.

The Pirates Life update for Sea of Thieves has some serious problems. I had a quick go a few days ago and the tearing on my Series X was awful and very distracting. I thought I'd give it another go today to see if it had improved, it hadn't, and then it booted me out of the Tall Tale and back to a starting dock twice before I'd made it through the second portal. 

I hope they get this sorted out soon.

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

AMD's upscaling solution has had a lot of flak over the last couple of weeks but I've tried it out in Anno 1800 (which I play quite a bit) and I'm actually fairly impressed.

On my ageing 1070 card it's given me about a 30% performance increase on the highest-quality setting and the impact on the picture is minimal. It's basically allowed me to turn up the various graphic settings to almost maximum and retain the same performance I had before, without doubt the game looks better overall as a result.

I'm sure the Digital Foundry fans zooming in on tiny clusters of pixels at 400% will find things to fault but from my perspective it's been a great little performance upgrade - for free - on a card that doesn't support Nvidia's DLSS solution, and I can definitely see it having applications on the Xbox, particularly on the Series S.

yeah... i looked at that with a 2080ti...

"I just tried the Rift Breaker, as i wanted to see what FSR was like...its...well...meh

Does it improve performance...yes, but. It is blurry on moving objects...so...everything.

So to gage performance, i was playing at 1440p, with RT effects on, the game was running at around 120fps. Turned on FSR to ULTRA QUALITY!!!! and it went to about 160fps, so yeah it improved performance...But.

It was immediately noticeable just standing still as trees and grass move in the wind, and they now had a noticeably blurry outline around them, not quite the same as the checkerboard cross hatching you see, but, just...blurry.

Its "clear" (sorry) the part it misses out on, the motion vectoring and temporal aspect, is what makes DLSS so good in motion.

Would it help a game if you were say sat 6ft away from the tv on a console, yeah perhaps. Could it improve, maybe?

The Riftbreaker though, yeah im gonna play that some more! its quite fun"

The simple fact is, the visual impact is clearly,...pun intended , not nothing, its clear!  as a solution, its nothing compared to DLSS, all it does is render at a lower res and apply "cas" and AA. ...basically(at the mo)...its shite mate...

10 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

basically(at the mo)...its shite mate...

If you’re running a 2080ti, you’re not the target market for this. Just use DLSS, that works on your card. It doesn’t work on mine. 

This is aimed at lower level cards where getting a game to run is always a question of compromise. What options do you turn off? What is the impact on performance, and the impact on image quality? Well this gives a new option that gives loads of extra performance and a minimal hit to IQ. You don’t have to use it of course but in my case (for instance) Anno 1800 with FSR and lighting set to max looks and runs better than no FSR and lighting set to medium. It’s a matter of trade offs. 

Genuinely I think if this lets Series S games hit 60fps then the hit to IQ will be more than acceptable to just about everyone. 

no, you see,  you're not the target market, you're the after though (sorry).

FSR  is AMD's "response" to dlss...for consoles(ish)...and they (the consoles), as they are as sort of 2060(with rt) or 2080 (without Rt), are were the gains are likely to be seen,  and quite frankly there are no gains *(in comparison to DLSS).

It is simply rendering at a lower res, and applying various AA suites, that is all it is doing, right now, as it has NO temporal layer.

40 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

no, you see,  you're not the target market, you're the after though (sorry).

FSR  is AMD's "response" to dlss...for consoles(ish)...and they (the consoles), as they are as sort of 2060(with rt) or 2080 (without Rt), are were the gains are likely to be seen,  and quite frankly there are no gains *(in comparison to DLSS).

It is simply rendering at a lower res, and applying various AA suites, that is all it is doing, right now, as it has NO temporal layer.

Maybe he (or she) is the target market (or maybe not, how can we ever be sure). First version of this tech I'm sure will have lots of (or a few) improvements to make. It's a decent option though for those that don't have a card that can do DLSS.  That's (part of) the target market. Why would it not be?

Activated Dev mode on my series X yesterday for the first time. When I rebooted into it, I got an error and have had to reset my xbox to factory settings (luckily it kept my games so wasn't too much faff). Now dev mode seems to work ok switching back and forth :) anyone else experience something like this? Hopefully just a one off bug right? 

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

Activated Dev mode on my series X yesterday for the first time. When I rebooted into it, I got an error and have had to reset my xbox to factory settings (luckily it kept my games so wasn't too much faff). Now dev mode seems to work ok switching back and forth :) anyone else experience something like this? Hopefully just a one off bug right? 

Never had to do it before. What did you use Dev mode for?

Is anyone struggling with the X's HD space? I was really worried I'd need the extra plug in drive with all the stuff on GamePass but I've never gone below a couple of hundred GB and I've installed loads. Biggest is probably Conan and Halo which I hardly play :lol: My Ps5 was a constant struggle having to mess around but it's been pretty roomy on the X.

I think about picking up the extra storage card but I do have some of the really big games installed. I'm convinced they'll come down in price or they'll increase the storage as soon as I buy one. 

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I think about picking up the extra storage card but I do have some of the really big games installed. I'm convinced they'll come down in price or they'll increase the storage as soon as I buy one. 

The expansion card is down to £180 on Amazon today, just for anyone that is tempted.....

You could just get a cheap portable HDD and stick every non X|S game on there - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STGX2000400/dp/B07DQ91XNK/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-lq2a1_0?cv_ct_cx=portable%2Bhdd&dchild=1&keywords=portable%2Bhdd&pd_rd_i=B07DQ91XNK&pd_rd_r=55b89d01-36d3-4e73-886e-526a6728030c&pd_rd_w=3T05Y&pd_rd_wg=r6crx&pf_rd_p=9025057c-38b7-4193-9183-e74fcc2cd9ec&pf_rd_r=C51P8FDM5YQERCYRTEY5&qid=1625744401&sr=1-1-bb3e1dfe-c8c7-4a73-872e-aca8f78beebe&th=1

I have this and use it with my PS5. You still get a decent loading times boost as the old CPU's in the prior machines was a proper bottle-neck due to the slow speed it would decompress data. 

15 minutes ago, rgraves said:

The expansion card is down to £180 on Amazon today, just for anyone that is tempted.....

Yeah, they seem to quite often hit that price and sub 150 on ebay for used ones. If I see a new one for £150, I'll go for it. If I don't, I'll be fine with the external drive I have been using since the Xbox One.

I still haven't played that Conan. Too big to just delete (100GB!), but was too confusing to play when I tried starting a game last month. It just sits there waiting for me to remember to play it :lol:

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Is anyone struggling with the X's HD space? I was really worried I'd need the extra plug in drive with all the stuff on GamePass but I've never gone below a couple of hundred GB and I've installed loads. Biggest is probably Conan and Halo which I hardly play :lol: My Ps5 was a constant struggle having to mess around but it's been pretty roomy on the X.

Nope. And I have a ton installed. 

PS5 storage is an absolute joke. 

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

You could just get a cheap portable HDD and stick every non X|S game on there - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STGX2000400/dp/B07DQ91XNK/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-lq2a1_0?cv_ct_cx=portable%2Bhdd&dchild=1&keywords=portable%2Bhdd&pd_rd_i=B07DQ91XNK&pd_rd_r=55b89d01-36d3-4e73-886e-526a6728030c&pd_rd_w=3T05Y&pd_rd_wg=r6crx&pf_rd_p=9025057c-38b7-4193-9183-e74fcc2cd9ec&pf_rd_r=C51P8FDM5YQERCYRTEY5&qid=1625744401&sr=1-1-bb3e1dfe-c8c7-4a73-872e-aca8f78beebe&th=1

I have this and use it with my PS5. You still get a decent loading times boost as the old CPU's in the prior machines was a proper bottle-neck due to the slow speed it would decompress data. 

Do you ever have any issues with rest mode and that drive?  Have you tried archiving/reinstalling any PS5 games to/from it? I’ve been thinking about getting an SSD but maybe I should just get something like this.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Never had any issues when I had an X or now on the PS5. I tend to only have a couple of games on the go though and just delete stuff if I don't play it after a week or so. Unless you have a slow internet connection I see no need to have a local disk rammed with things I don't play. I just download what I want on a night ready for the next day. And download again if I feel a pressing need to revisit something.

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Do you ever have any issues with rest mode and that drive?  Have you tried archiving/reinstalling any PS5 games to/from it? I’ve been thinking about getting an SSD but maybe I should just get something like this.

No issues with rest mode, and I have done the archiving of PS5 games with it. No problems, although it does take a few minutes to copy. 

I have the 5TB version and it fits a lot of stuff on there. 

I'd absolutely recommend getting one for both the PS5 and Xbox S|X and going for as big a storage as you can get. The SSD is where I keep the native games and I just move stuff in and out of cold storage on the drive, as well as keep all prior gen games on there. 

That's my point in a round-about way. You could get an external SSD, but you're limited to the USB 3.1 speed, and while the loading benefit is great, you totally see it too to a slightly lesser extent with a mechanical drive, but you can get WAY more storage for your cash.  

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Nope. And I have a ton installed. 

PS5 storage is an absolute joke. 

There's literally 135GB less usable storage on the PS5.

802GB vs. 667GB. Have you turned off video capture on getting trophies? That will eat up the storage and I have it firmly turned off.