Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

I've been having this issue for about a month now where achievements register as they should, but I don't get any sound or notifications whatsoever, despite the pop-up appearing on my phone via the Xbox app. I've checked all the usual settings and have tried a few different fixes, but I'm not having any luck. It's not really a massive issue, but I do miss the little dopamine hit that comes with the notification and that little 'ba-doop' noise.

Anyone else experiencing this? From searching, it looks like a pretty common bug, but it's been going on for weeks now.

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've been having this issue for about a month now where achievements register as they should, but I don't get any sound or notifications whatsoever, despite the pop-up appearing on my phone via the Xbox app. I've checked all the usual settings and have tried a few different fixes, but I'm not having any luck. It's not really a massive issue, but I do miss the little dopamine hit that comes with the notification and that little 'ba-doop' noise.

Anyone else experiencing this? From searching, it looks like a pretty common bug, but it's been going on for weeks now.

I’ve got a variation where I get the notification on screen and on my phone, but it doesn’t appear on my home button menu notifications (or whatever it’s called - press the Xbox button, and it’s at the bottom of the menu). Until, that is, I get another achievement, and then the previous one appears in the list. It’s like the latest achievement is always held in reserve and only added to the list when another one comes along to replace it. Very odd.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I too am experiencing a similar issue. I don’t receive party invites but do on my phone, notifications are indeed turned on. 

22 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Is anyone struggling with the X's HD space? I was really worried I'd need the extra plug in drive with all the stuff on GamePass but I've never gone below a couple of hundred GB and I've installed loads. Biggest is probably Conan and Halo which I hardly play :lol: My Ps5 was a constant struggle having to mess around but it's been pretty roomy on the X.

I'm often close to the limit on the internal drive. I have everything that doesn't require it on a 2TB external. 

57 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

There's no way to use the One version of something on Series X if there's a Series update is there? The console will just default to the Series version?

I suppose you could download the One version on a One X console, save it to an external HDD and then play it on the Series & stop it from updating when it attempts. I did that with planet coaster at first as the series X version had massive stability issues at first.

I'd quite like the option to choose which to download to the console. I don't give a monkeys about the Eternal S/X update because it ran so well anyway, but it automatically downloads the new version which is another 70gb gone. Small and first world problems, I know. STOP GIVING ME PRETTY UPDATES FOR FREE WAH WAH WAH. But, y'know, choice would be nice.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

it automatically downloads the new version which is another 70gb gone.

You would have lost 40-odd gig to have any version of the game, right? So it's only 30gb to get upset about. 

42 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

You would have lost 40-odd gig to have any version of the game, right? So it's only 30gb to get upset about. 

Nope, because the One version is on the external. The S/X one can only be stored there, not played from there. If I could decide which one to keep them I could delete the internal one and boot the other.

The series X really blows out some heat doesn't it?  I got one recently and the only space was in the TV unit which is closed on 3 sides (open front).  After a couple of hours playing I noticed the fans had really kicked up so checked the temperature and the whole unit was really hot.  I left a good 5-6 inches between the main vent and the side of the unit but it was still baking.  My solution was to turn it 90 degrees so the main vent was pointing out towards the open front.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Nope, because the One version is on the external. The S/X one can only be stored there, not played from there. If I could decide which one to keep them I could delete the internal one and boot the other.

Oh, I see!

I see the loading screen after dying so often that I didn't even consider that it could be on an external! :lol:

2 minutes ago, tobert said:

The series X really blows out some heat doesn't it?  I got one recently and the only space was in the TV unit which is closed on 3 sides (open front).  After a couple of hours playing I noticed the fans had really kicked up so checked the temperature and the whole unit was really hot.  I left a good 5-6 inches between the main vent and the side of the unit but it was still baking.  My solution was to turn it 90 degrees so the main vent was pointing out towards the open front.

If your TV is on a stand, as opposed to wall mounted, put the console behind the TV, perhaps?  It's where mine is (well, behind my TV,  not yours) and no problems here.

Yeah my attitude towards these modern consoles is to give them what they want, vertical placement loads of room and air, that way they are quiet and don’t get too hot. Some might say otherwise but I wouldn’t even consider putting it in an entertainment unit. 

I have mine on its side so the vent at the bottom covered by the circular stand has a bit more air too. The simple styling means it can get away with it without looking stupid, unlike the PS5, which I’ve now decided is the ugliest console I’ve ever owned. 

I don't have space to put it vertical or behind the telly.  Horizontal doesn't look anywhere near as a good as vertical, however the "vent forward" looks a bit better and means all the heat is dispelled.

Edit: now with picture, didn't realise how dusty the soundbar is...

IMG_20210709_163937.jpg

One issue I noticed with the Series S at launch and doesn’t seem to be addressed is that is sold as a 1440p HDR console but to use HDR you need to set it to 4K on the dash and it presumably does some kind of scaling? Luckily my 1440p screen supports 4K but not all do:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/will-xbox-series-xs-support-hdr-for-1440p-or-1080p/7d343744-5884-4fa5-a476-8c41c14b210a?messageId=775352e8-30c3-454e-8cc2-9b0c6aba54bc

Does anyone think MS will address this?

I've not noticed much in the way of heat, and I've hovered my hand over the top after the kids have had it on for hours. But it's on top of the TV unit, stood just to the side and behind the TV where the big inverted V leg is. Wondering if the overall room airflow plays a part, too. I've got a ceiling fan so the room's air is always moving.

17 hours ago, SeanR said:

I put it in 4K mode and promptly plugged it into the 1080 panny.

is it easy to change back? I’ve not figured out how.

Do you get an image? If so it's simply a case of going to the general/display settings and changing the output to 1080. 

37 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Do you get an image? If so it's simply a case of going to the general/display settings and changing the output to 1080. 

there’s an image. I just wonder if it’s a bit… shit because it’s being scaled up and scaled down again. Text in games seems to have dodgy edges, up close etc

[edit]

image.thumb.jpg.1afb45529708868248e4acba38ddccfe.jpg

but the console knows it’s 1080, all the 4K settings are disabled in that menu. I think it’s the game (F1 2020)

Is it me, or is the build quality in the new Series controllers markedly more shite than before?

I've had this one since the beginning of the year, and it doesn't get absurdly high use, but the right bumper sticks like an absolute bugger. I opened it up to see what was going on, and there's this incredibly thin piece of sticky foam/sponge that in theory deadens the sound of the thing when pressed, but this has flown off, leaving sticky residue on the thing. Whilst I got that off, I'm now left with a noisy old controller that annoys me no end.

Never had this problem with my trusty 360 one :P

edit: little rubber slice, masking tape and super glue. It's quiet again...not sure how long it'll last, but it'll do for now.

The plastic they are made out of is shittier that's for sure. Same as on the Series X. 

If you rub anything metal or even harder than the plastic itself then it leaves a permanent scrape you can't get rid of. 

My controller looks a mess on the front due to drunken sessions. Xbox has a few marks on the side due dusting with a plastic duster thing. 

18 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Just started Gears 4 on GamePass and.. it seems a tad boring. Far too many robots, does it improve as it goes on?

Yeah, it does get better. The robot section is a bit of a grind I'm afraid.

However, when Marcus is about it all becomes more enjoyable.

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, it does get better. The robot section is a bit of a grind I'm afraid.

However, when Marcus is about it all becomes more enjoyable.

Properly kicks off in Act 2 iirc. Gears 4 is okay, it’s basically ‘look, we can make a Gears game’, whereas Gears 5 is a huge step up across the board.

EDIT: Whoops, was responding to @Lorfarius

I'll push on for a bit and see what happens. Does feel a bit weird how the robots are pure copy n paste through every battle right at the start of the game. Doesn't give me the best of impressions after the intro was a good bit of alien fun.