Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

You can’t I stl stuff to the expansion card from the GamePass app which is a pain in the arse (especially when they tie reward points to that).

I've noticed that. On the console, I show 3tb free, because external USB. But in game pass it's whatever is free on internal.

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah, one of the first things I did was disable Instant Game Response and just set the input into Game mode permanently, that constant popup annoyed me almost immediately.

Thinking about it, several of the guides I've followed to setting this thing up recommended changing the input icon of the Xbox to make the TV think it's a PC, apparently it increases the quality of the chroma subsampling or some such bollocks I'd probably not even notice. That would increase the bandwidth requirements, I might try reverting that setting specifically and see if it makes any difference.

Setting the Xbox input as PC on your TV allows Game-mode esque response times on the non-game mode picture settings, but it does negatively affect image quality (or at least it did on my C7). Introduced loads of horrible banding which was particularly evident when watching UHD Blu-rays.

Blimey, Witcher 3 is simply amazing to behold on the Series X - just lovely

Christ knows what the upgraded version will look like - it will probably melt your eyes!

23 hours ago, Harsin said:

You can’t install stuff to the expansion card from the GamePass app which is a pain in the arse (especially when they tie reward points to that).

In the console itself you can set which location is the default download location. Set it to the expansion card and try again?

Is quick resume just not working now? 

I only have 2 games showing in the game resume bar and must have played about 15 different games since and still only 2 remain (NFS and Streets of Rage) 

9 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is quick resume just not working now? 

I only have 2 games showing in the game resume bar and must have played about 15 different games since and still only 2 remain (NFS and Streets of Rage) 

Try doing a full shutdown and unplugging it from the wall for a few minutes. Boot back up and see what happens.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

Wait, is there a way to see which games are in quick resume?

Yes. Press the guide button and it should be the first option where the pins and games and apps are. It's a wee drop down. 

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Blimey, Witcher 3 is simply amazing to behold on the Series X - just lovely

Christ knows what the upgraded version will look like - it will probably melt your eyes!

It’s so good at 4K/60fps, I’m a bit concerned that the upgrade might be a step back, maybe new bugs introduced or unwanted artistic changes. 

This is where smart delivery might mean you lose access to the prior version as soon as the new one is released! I’m not sure I like that. 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Midway Arcade Hits currently free on Gold.

Think this is the most excited I’ve ever been about a game on Gold.

It was really cool seeing all the arcade cabs as you're scrolling through titles. It's hard to explain multiple steering wheels. Had an excellent time on Super Sprint, there's a game that would look stunning with some Absolute Drift style 4k visuals. 

Also, I'm as shit at Gauntlet and Spy Hunter (humming the track from Blues Brothers to myself as I play) as I was when I had these as a kid on my Spectrum.

There’s no skill to Gauntlet anyway it’s a coin guzzler, your health depletes no matter what you do and playing on your own is nigh on impossible not to get hit. It was my favourite game ever back in the day though. 

Having Gauntlet and Gauntlet II is the thing that’s finally got me wanting a second controller.

So many great memories of the arcade, C64 versions, and Dandy on the Speccy which was a phenomenal take on it.

16 hours ago, Hitcher said:

And you can also pin it to your home.

Oooh that’s a nice little QOL tip that I’ll be applying tonight :).

Wonder if it’ll increase its reliability at being displayed. Mine’s there most of the time but occasionally isn’t there on start up but tends to reappear having played a game. 

I've just managed to buy a Series X - let's hope it turns up. Quick question - I use my Xbox One to watch TV on mostly. Is it possible to use the official Xbox One remote control with a Series X, or do you have to use the controller? 

5 hours ago, K said:

I've just managed to buy a Series X - let's hope it turns up. Quick question - I use my Xbox One to watch TV on mostly. Is it possible to use the official Xbox One remote control with a Series X, or do you have to use the controller? 

Yeah it works, just tried it (I rarely use my remote now so had to check). The IR sensor is in the button you press to sync pads to the console, which is a nice engineering touch.

Network transfer no longer works, anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

I wanted to try Crackdown 3 without re-downloading 12gb, and while the XSX sees the XB1 (and vice versa) and both consoles have network transfer ticked, either device can't pull up a list of what the other console has. It sees it on the network, but when I clicked to open it up to do the transfer, no games pop up like it used to.

I've power cycled both, as I wasn't sure when either device was last fully powered down, no dice. In the end, I did "sneaker net" and walked the external drive from my XB1 down to the XSX and copied it over. And then there was a 4.7gb patch. Twice, that was weird.

10 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Different versions as it's Series Enhanced.

Right, just wondered why it downloaded the update for the campaign twice. But that's fine.

10 hours ago, K said:

I've an el-cheapo 3rd party remote and it works fine. I'd be very surprised if the official one doesn't.

Congrats on the purchase.

10 hours ago, K said:

I can use my LG TV remote on the xbox so I imagine you are fine. 

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

And then there was a 4.7gb patch. Twice, that was weird.

Wait, figured this out. There was a copy of Crackdown on both the internal and USB drive, and so the XSX patched both versions.

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

Network transfer no longer works, anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

Network transfer has never worked for me. The consoles just don't see each other. I gave up trying to use it.