Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

39 minutes ago, Marlew said:

It is, but most games look worse than on the One X because they run the base XB1 versions. 

I returned mine and hoping to pick up a Series X when available. 

Is this the case for most Series S games? I did wonder about Forza when I booted it up because it was a bit unimpressive looks wise and I know Series X owners have raved about it.

Doom Eternal is the most technically impressive Series S game I’ve played so far. Looks incredible and runs like lightning.

1 minute ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Only advice I'd offer is to definitely make sure you are wearing headphones for it and turn the volume right up.

I don’t use headphones, but I’ve got a decent surround sound system.

I’ll give it a try later and see how I get on.

Did I see a F1 coming to GP? Recently ended my human rights laundering/capitalist excess/car nerd fetishiser related 15 year boycott of F1 after seeing what Good Brothers Vettel and Hamilton were and want to pretend I’m in a middle of a Netflix documentary. Should I just buy the latest version or hang about?

3 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Did I see a F1 coming to GP? Recently ended by human rights laundering/capitalist excess/car nerd fetishiser related 15 year boycott of F1 after seeing what Good Brothers Vettle and Hamilton were and want to pretend I’m in a middle of a Netflix documentary. Should I just buy the latest version or hang about?

F1 2019 is currently on GP, and I think 2020 is coming soon.

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

I picked up my Series S last night, and it's all feeling a bit meh from the first couple of hours I've had with it. 

I've only managed to get a couple of games downloaded for it so far, as I'm back to work today, but the only game so far I've noticed a boost in was surprisingly Fortnite. The FOV is a lot better, and it's running at a steady 60FPS and just seems a lot clearer.

On the other hand NBA 2K21 I thought looked wonderful on my OG Xbox One looks about the same on the S, although I wonder if that's on purpose because they want me to hand over money for the boosted edition or something. 

I'm hoping to get it all set up properly and get my portable HDD set up on it and see if I can find something breathtaking to get me over my buyers regret. 

I assume things like Halo MCC, Gears 5 and Forza are going to be the best free visually stunning games I will notice the difference on. 

Gears 5 looks great. Forza is 60fps and the loading times are bonkers.

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

I assume things like Halo MCC, Gears 5 and Forza are going to be the best free visually stunning games I will notice the difference on. 

Flight Sim & Hellblade are probably the two most visually impressive things I've seen on the Series X that would also carry down to the Series S. Anything that's just BC without a Series version will be more of a disappointment because you won't get the 1X updates due to the lack of RAM. 

Halo MCC probably isn't a giant jump. Forza Horizon 4 will load like a demon.

12 minutes ago, JPL said:

Hmm, I don’t have any. Will my surround sound setup really not do it justice?

9 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

If I usually use Dolby Atmos for Headphones on the Xbox, do I need to turn it off when I play Hellblade? Or will it work it all out?

It needs to be played in stereo using headphones to get the effect the devs wanted of voices actually in your head.

9 minutes ago, Marlew said:

FH4 loads more quickly on the S, but looks worse than on the One X. If you haven't played that version, it's great. If you have, it's a step backwards. 

It runs the same as the One X's 60fps mode. Which is clearly superior to the 4K30 mode.

25 minutes ago, JPL said:

I've just popped to Tescos and brought a pair for £3 after reading the comments in the thread. 

£3 seems like pocket change considering the game can be played for free, and thus can be experienced how they intended it to.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It runs the same as the One X's 60fps mode. Which is clearly superior to the 4K30 mode.

That's arguable in a very casual game like this, but I understand your preference. Either way, it's a worse version because it doesn't even have the option. 

37 minutes ago, JPL said:

I played it without headphones. They certainly will improve the immersive experience, but it's well worth trying even without using them. Don't be put off giving it a go - and if you like it, then consider some options.

Right, I’ve just started it and looking at the graphics settings, I’ve only got one option - Performance Mode. It’s greyed out as well, so I can’t select it to change it. That’s not right is it?

Edit: Ignore me, you have to do it from the title screen. It doesn’t let you switch in game.

Well, I’m still quite close to the start, but I’m finding the portal puzzles to open the doors a bit of a chore already. I know what I need to do, but Senua refuses to jump down from tiny ledges, so I’m having to take the long route around these puzzle areas, using a bit of trial and error to get the doors to unlock.

Does the gameplay change soon, or is it like this all the way through? I can’t say I’m finding it all that fun, but if this is just an into of sorts, I’ll carry on.

It looks lovely though and it controls really well, except for the daft decision to stop you from jumping down wherever you like.