Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

47 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Because of Game Pass I’ve reduced the amount of impulse purchases from 5-10 each month to zero. Games I’ve enjoyed have been bought when it was announced that they were leaving the service and I got to do that at a reduced price. 

there are still loads of indie games I'm tempted by, they're on PC/Steam tho

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The last week alone on Gamepass is better than any month I can remember ever on PS+. MS are absolutely blowing the piss out of Sony.

I guess you’ve no idea what’s been on Plus recently, especially since the PS5 launched. £30 has been awesome value. Let’s not forget the games they gave away for free too this year. Not sure why it’s so difficult to accept that Sony offer value too, just in a different way.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The last week alone on Gamepass is better than any month I can remember ever on PS+. MS are absolutely blowing the piss out of Sony.

Well different services really. But agree GamePass is incredible value for money. But always get paralysis of choice with it so practically stopped using to at the moment. It's like trying to find a film on Netflix to watch.

Great for the MS first party titles when they arrive.... Looking forward to not buying the next Halo and Forza Horizon 5... 😂

17 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well different services really. But agree GamePass is incredible value for money. But always get paralysis of choice with it so practically stopped using to at the moment. It's like trying to find a film on Netflix to watch.

Great for the MS first party titles when they arrive.... Looking forward to not buying the next Halo and Forza Horizon 5... 😂

One of my points is that Gamepass ist the Netflix of games. Netflix doesn’t sell content on their own service. Gamepass is more comparable to PS Now.

The real difference is that day one releases going to Gamepass.

I have mixed views on the whole idea itself and what it could potentially do to the games that get made and I worry about the skip to the next one habits people might pick up but only time will tell on that one.

I was under the impression the library would be much more extensive. I’m surprised that the lack of 360 games overall considering how many were released on that console but that could just be down to licensing.

I’d love to see Apache air assault or Bionic Commando and stuff like that, just a 360 section on the store would be a start.

going through the list I guess the problem I have it the multiples. Do we need all these FIFA’s and maddens and dirts and whatever else is the same as the other things.

Amazing value yes but Netflix for games no. It’s more like Ps Plus or Games with gold pumped full of maximum steroids to morph it into something else that puts it in this strange place i between being the ideal and the standard.

10 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

So turns out my Series S is now doing "upgrades" to various games and then moaning at me because of the lack of space on my drive even though my external is connected and set as the default install location.

Upgrades means it is giving you the Series X/S versions, these have to run off the internal SSD and therefore won’t install on the external drive, the delivery is being ‘smart’. Although MCC is a slight outlier in that it will run off an external drive.

10 hours ago, Harrisown said:

One of my points is that Gamepass ist the Netflix of games. Netflix doesn’t sell content on their own service. Gamepass is more comparable to PS Now.

I have mixed views on the whole idea itself and what it could potentially do to the games that get made and I worry about the skip to the next one habits people might pick up but only time will tell on that one.

I was under the impression the library would be much more extensive. I’m surprised that the lack of 360 games overall considering how many were released on that console but that could just be down to licensing.

I’d love to see Apache air assault or Bionic Commando and stuff like that, just a 360 section on the store would be a start.

going through the list I guess the problem I have it the multiples. Do we need all these FIFA’s and maddens and dirts and whatever else is the same as the other things.

Amazing value yes but Netflix for games no. It’s more like Ps Plus or Games with gold pumped full of maximum steroids to morph it into something else that puts it in this strange place i between being the ideal and the standard.

Yeah it’s exactly like PS Now, only you don’t have to stream backwards compatible titles like you do with PS3 games on that service, and they’ll often receive boosts to performance, and as you mention you get access to all the first party catalogue including day one releases, which is a pretty significant difference and what makes GP much better value, IMO. I mean put it this way, you bought your Series S to play Flight Simulator, you’d likely have to pay £70 upfront to play that on PS5 as it wouldn’t be on PS Now.

It’s like Netflix in that it’s a mixture of their own original content and that of third parties, and the content is revolving, stuff is added, stuff is taken away, but the original stuff is there forever. 

With regards to back cat stuff I’m fairly sure you can filter those titles on the store, or that there’s a section for them anyway. 

11 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Buys new console. Wants 360 games. Go buy a hacked 360 and enjoy all those fine classics. 

12 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Given neither of those work on the machine, they would be a relatively pointless addition to GamePass.

12 hours ago, Harrisown said:

For me it is the Netflix of games in that I have the same paralysis of choice regarding content. I wasn't actually likening GP to Netflix as a service itself so apologies if it came across that way.

There is just too much content everywhere these days with all the streaming channels etc. Never know which bit of entertainment to invest time into next... and then there is life away from the screen contending for time too (which is arguably much more necessary these days with mobile devices etc!)

21 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

So turns out my Series S is now doing "upgrades" to various games and then moaning at me because of the lack of space on my drive even though my external is connected and set as the default install location.

I had a brief go of Halo MCC and I didn't notice anything to write home about.

I'm curious what the upgraded MK11 will look like, same goes for Dead By Daylight although why I have that installed I'll never know as I've never played more than a few minutes of it as people always drop out of the games. 

It will install the X/S version but still keep the other on the external so you need to clear that out. If you try to install an X/S version from the Xbox/Game Pass apps and the default is External HDD it won't install.

In all honesty I wouldn't have gone with an S, personally. Too little storage and running base One S games is a huge thing, especially if you play things like CoD, Destiny, Forza Horizon 4, Halo MCC as they're all monstrosities. Cold War takes up 180gb fully installed for example. AAA games are only going to get bigger and make it more of a problem.

14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

AAA games are only going to get bigger and make it more of a problem.

One can only wonder how big the next GTA game will be, especially if it's going to expand upon what we got in GTA V. Both GTA V and RDR2 are just over 100gb now and I suspect GTA V will be noticably bigger once the next gen patch is applied at the end of the year. Unless someone invent a new compression algorithm to save space on high res textures, or even a new way to generate textures without bloating the required space it needs to be stored I think we'll see the first 200+ gb games before the end of next year. 

I don't think it's all one-way travel on game file size - the PS5 versions of Spider-Man and Miles Morales are both significantly smaller than their PS4 equivalents (and I think that has been true elsewhere) because they no longer need to duplicate loads of data to mitigate the slow HDD speeds. So yes, some of the cross-gen stuff ends up a bit worst of both worlds where they're massive and have the duplicate data, but I also expect there to be some reduction in that duping over time that should reflect on next-gen as a whole. Given both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were already playing at 4K-ish for textures etc, there might not be too much growth. It's lighting and so on in the main, maybe?

55 minutes ago, MattyP said:

For me it is the Netflix of games in that I have the same paralysis of choice regarding content. I wasn't actually likening GP to Netflix as a service itself so apologies if it came across that way.

There is just too much content everywhere these days with all the streaming channels etc. Never know which bit of entertainment to invest time into next... and then there is life away from the screen contending for time too (which is arguably much more necessary these days with mobile devices etc!)

To be fair it kinda is, the only real difference is Netflix don't also sell permenent access but that's just a function of how those industries differ.

The "Netflixes" of music include Apple Music, who do sell perm access and Spotify, who don't.  No-one would say those 2 aren't competitors.

16 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I guess you’ve no idea what’s been on Plus recently, especially since the PS5 launched. £30 has been awesome value. Let’s not forget the games they gave away for free too this year. Not sure why it’s so difficult to accept that Sony offer value too, just in a different way.

I'm very aware of what's available, and it's why I let my sub expire that's been active since the PS3 days. PS+ felt like I was being thrown scraps with the very occasional gem which became rarer and rarer, Gamepass is just a constant stream of games I want to play across all prices and genres.

As far as I'm concerned PS+ and Gamepass are the same thing - gaming subscriptions that cost me money every month. For months, getting on years, PS+ had zero value and was a constant disappointment. I might as well have bought the very few games that I cared about at full price. There was just no joy or discovery in it as a service.

Gamepass is like Christmas every week.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'm very aware of what's available, and it's why I let my sub expire that's been active since the PS3 days. PS+ felt like I was being thrown scraps with the very occasional gem which became rarer and rarer, Gamepass is just a constant stream of games I want to play across all prices and genres.

As far as I'm concerned PS+ and Gamepass are the same thing - gaming subscriptions that cost me money every month. For months, getting on years, PS+ had zero value and was a constant disappointment. I might as well have bought the very few games that I cared about at full price. There was just no joy or discovery in it as a service.

Gamepass is like Christmas every week.

Off the top of my head since PS5 launch:

PS Plus Collection (20 games inc. Days Gone, Bloodborne, Last Guardian, GoW).

Play at Home (10 games free to everyone inc. Moss VR, Astro Bot VR, Thumper VR)

HZD Complete Edition- free to everyone 

Ratchet & Clank - free to everyone

Control Ultimate Edition PS5

Wreckfest PS5

Oddworld Soulstorm PS5

Maneater PS5

A Plague Tale PS5

Star Wars Squadrons VR

etc. etc.

Hardly the scraps lol. Good job if you could’ve bought all this for £32.85 which was my last sub.

That is a pretty good selection of games - I'd also add Sniper Elite 4 and Zombie Army. I guess the difference is that you need to have been a subscriber over a fairly long period of time to have claimed all of them, whereas Game Pass stuff hangs around for much longer, and you have a wider selection at any given moment. But they're both pretty good services. Game Pass probably edges it, but it's more expensive, so you'd kind of expect it to be much better.

Not sure why people keep comparing... :D You can't get Xbox GP on PS5 or PS5 PSN+ on Xbox. Many will just have both consoles or a console/PC (like me).

Too many games to choose from anyway.... Sony did a good job of getting all those PS4 games over for PS5 gamers to enjoy (many might not have had a PS4 before).

No complaints here anyway... many of those PS4 games I never got around to playing.

Anyhow this is an Xbox topic... :) GamePass is great and great value for money and all that. Not sure I'd pay full whack for it myself because I wouldn't get value from it. But I didn't. So don't even mind if I only use it periodically for some MS releases. Worth the price alone for me.

13 minutes ago, deerokus said:

You don't get most of those if you don't have a ps5, which I think is a bit shit.

There were plenty of decent PS4 games on top of those I listed  inc. Days Gone, VF4, FF VII, SOT Tomb Raider, Sniper Elite 4 etc. Only the PS Collection was restricted but with normal PS5 games you can at least add them prior to getting a PS5.

11 minutes ago, K said:

That is a pretty good selection of games - I'd also add Sniper Elite 4 and Zombie Army. I guess the difference is that you need to have been a subscriber over a fairly long period of time to have claimed all of them, whereas Game Pass stuff hangs around for much longer, and you have a wider selection at any given moment. But they're both pretty good services. Game Pass probably edges it, but it's more expensive, so you'd kind of expect it to be much better.

Most of those if not all are in the last 9 months.  I guess an advantage of Plus is you keep access to all games added as long as you’re subscribed (and I think if you re-subscribe after lapsing too). 

They are both good services and Sony have done a reasonable job countering GP this year imo but people are free to make their choice. What Sony do over the next year will be interesting now that MS look to be getting a flow of exclusives coming onto GP.

50 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Off the top of my head since PS5 launch:

PS Plus Collection (20 games inc. Days Gone, Bloodborne, Last Guardian, GoW).

Play at Home (10 games free to everyone inc. Moss VR, Astro Bot VR, Thumper VR)

HZD Complete Edition- free to everyone 

Ratchet & Clank - free to everyone

Control Ultimate Edition PS5

Wreckfest PS5

Oddworld Soulstorm PS5

Maneater PS5

A Plague Tale PS5

Star Wars Squadrons VR

etc. etc.

Hardly the scraps lol. Good job if you could’ve bought all this for £32.85 which was my last sub.

As someone with both subs (PS+ since PS3 days & gamepass since Seres launch) they both have pros - however the whole PS+ collection is utterly rubbish if you’ve owned a PS4 as if you had then you have all those games, its good for a new user tho - infact, of your list everyone of the games i want to play ive bought and sometimes twice….

PS+ tends to be lots of old tat or older stuff you’ve already bought with Theo occasional gem where game pass is non stop bangers, launch games, amazing back catalogue and loads of tat!!

54 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Not for everyone, I’d only played 6 before.

I give up lol.

Hunters arena legends….

I mean, Live gold games are equally tat most of the time to be fair but i have hundreds of PS+ games in my library and most of them are filler that i will never play much like Gold in latter years so I only sub for the online play that I don’t even really do any more!

There is more stuff on Game Pass than I'll ever have time to play. Have you bought all of these games before, making the service represent less value? Bummer, for sure, but going forward you can rein in the spending a bit, I guess.

PS+ is to play online shit and should be compared to Live Gold or Nintendo Online. Comparing it to Gamepass when Gamepass is at a minimum, twice as expensive, is disingenuous, yet happens all the time. Yeah Gamepass is great and all and has all the hot shit on it (except any 2d shooters or 2d fighters) but you are paying at least double for the privilege.

8 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

PS+ is to play online shit and should be compared to Live Gold or Nintendo Online. Comparing it to Gamepass when Gamepass is at a minimum, twice as expensive, is disingenuous, yet happens all the time. Yeah Gamepass is great and all and has all the hot shit on it (except any 2d shooters or 2d fighters) but you are paying at least double for the privilege.

... Unless you aren't paying the full price (eg. Redeeming with reward points)