Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

10 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Why is this Series S (The White one) so cheap then? Its £50 cheaper than a PS4...? Ive just bought one! always been a much bigger Playstation fan but fed up of there being no PS5, looking forward to getting into Xbox

Because they're willing to lose money on it since the only ways of getting games onto it involve paying them and they're banking on it being a game pass machine for most.

Asphalt 9 appeared on the store for the X last night, installed it and what is this? The game feels like it's on fast-forward, races are over in seconds, the soundtrack never gets a chance to play more than the intro of a track, between races it's like being in a dystopian productivity/work application with menus and shit bugging you everywhere. The menus are so loud and aggressive, shoving you and pushing you around its various obnoxious payment options and currency packages. When your car runs out of fuel you either wait or pump money into the game to continue.

That would all be vaguely okay if the game was any good, but the little of the racing I played (the game is 20% racing 80% menus/loading) was terrible and whilst not being exactly on rails, I don't trust the game at all to give me a fair race when it's telling me "you won't win this race unless you upgrade" before I even start. It's not even rubberbanding, it just feels that whatever you do the game has decided the outcome for you already and wants you to spend money.

Horrible, cynical, obnoxious shit.

37 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Asphalt 9 appeared on the store for the X last night, installed it and what is this? The game feels like it's on fast-forward, races are over in seconds, the soundtrack never gets a chance to play more than the intro of a track, between races it's like being in a dystopian productivity/work application with menus and shit bugging you everywhere. The menus are so loud and aggressive, shoving you and pushing you around its various obnoxious payment options and currency packages. When your car runs out of fuel you either wait or pump money into the game to continue.

That would all be vaguely okay if the game was any good, but the little of the racing I played (the game is 20% racing 80% menus/loading) was terrible and whilst not being exactly on rails, I don't trust the game at all to give me a fair race when it's telling me "you won't win this race unless you upgrade" before I even start. It's not even rubberbanding, it just feels that whatever you do the game has decided the outcome for you already and wants you to spend money.

Horrible, cynical, obnoxious shit.

It's a f2p mobile game, it's been in Switch for a while. Not to be too defensive of it it's a nice little time waster kind of game but it is all about the grind and microtransactions. It's fine on Switch as the mobile format and lack of decent racers make it tolerable but there's no reason to play it on Xbox.

I'm genuinely shocked, in a very good way, at just how quiet the Series S is. Even if I make a point of focusing and trying to hear the console I can't, even with the TV muted.

Wonderful engineering considering how small and compact it is. I've been so impressed with it so far and to think it is cheaper than a Nintendo Switch that has been out for 4 years.

5 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I'm genuinely shocked, in a very good way, at just how quiet the Series S is. Even if I make a point of focusing and trying to hear the console I can't, even with the TV muted.

Wonderful engineering considering how small and compact it is. I've been so impressed with it so far and to think it is cheaper than a Nintendo Switch that has been out for 4 years.

Series X is the same, it makes such a difference doesn’t it, glad you’re enjoying it :)

On 01/09/2021 at 14:58, TehStu said:

Not a specific reply to you, but FYI everyone.

Someone, in one of these threads, asked why aren't they sorting out these stock issues and I read a really interesting article the other day about TSMC (they fabricate stuff for everyone) who were saying their production delays will extend well into 2022. 

This is much bigger than consoles. 

Consoles aren't even as badly hit as others. It's fucking the car industry worst of all as far as I know.

Asphalt 9 is a very good phone game, doesn't belong on proper consoles though

9 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

Genius.

This is already a bit out of date but accurate enough explainer of what has happened.

It's out of date because even Toyota, who have one of the most resilient supply chains in any industry, have had to drastically cut production now.

Caved and picked up an S. Will pick up an X too when I can and move the S to upstairs. Lovely and fast. As others have said it's silent... Although I notice the buttons on the pad are really noisy now 😂

Enjoying bouncing around a few things on Game Pass. I had a One X before but the lure of faster loading was too much and hadn't used it much in the last year or so.

16 hours ago, deerokus said:

Genius.

This is already a bit out of date but accurate enough explainer of what has happened.

It's out of date because even Toyota, who have one of the most resilient supply chains in any industry, have had to drastically cut production now.

What's the tl;dw for this?

14 hours ago, Mallet said:

Playing Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice has been my first experience of personally using ray tracing in a game, my god when it is done well it is beautiful isn't it?

If you enjoy that game I would strongly recommend A Plague Tale: Innocence, and it’s another looker that runs at 60fps following a recent S|X patch, lovely game. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If you enjoy that game I would strongly recommend A Plague Tale: Innocence, and it’s another looker that runs at 60fps following a recent S|X patch, lovely game. 

I already have it downloaded, I'm not sure if I will go straight to that after Hellblade or maybe play something a little more upbeat and lighter in tone. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's the tl;dw for this?

Worth watching in full because wendover makes some of the best short documentaries on YouTube and it's a complicated, systemic issue.

Basically everyone cancelled orders early in the pandemic, then were caught on the back foot when demand for electronics increased rather than fell. Meanwhile, all the shipping containers used to ship ppe and such last year are stuck in docks around the world, not in China where they need to be. And some other stuff. All of which broke supply chains and caused a vicious cycle because supply chains are incredibly vulnerable to shocks like this. You have cargo ships full of stuff queuing up for weeks at a time to enter ports because there's nowhere for them to unload.

2 hours ago, MoFo2 said:

Should I get the Series S to use primarily as an emulation box?

It depends exactly WHAT you want it to emulate.

Because if it's the 8s and 16s you might find the likes of the Pis suit you better.  They're virtually zero config if you download a pre-made image.

The S though can do PS2 (and possibly DC/PSP/Cube) which the Pis can't.  You do though run the risk you're using it for something it wasn't inherently designed for and that MS can in theory remove at any time.

As mentioned of course, the S is ALSO one of those "New games consoles" I've heard so much about.

I've cashed in all my MS points and ordered a Series S for £79.99. Delivery is currently scheduled for Tuesday. My missus is in the office that day, so you can guarantee they'll try to deliver it while I'm on the school run. 

I think this might be the closest to launch that I've owned a console since the PS1 (which I was given on launch day because I worked for Sony at that point). I'll be interested to see what it adds to the Forza games and what the much talked about PS2 emulation is like.

On 02/09/2021 at 16:16, Mallet said:

Man, I was holding out for the series X but I honestly don't know when I would pick one up.  Reading this, I've just gone and ordered the S, delivery tomorrow 😁

41 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've cashed in all my MS points and ordered a Series S for £79.99. Delivery is currently scheduled for Tuesday. My missus is in the office that day, so you can guarantee they'll try to deliver it while I'm on the school run. 

I think this might be the closest to launch that I've owned a console since the PS1 (which I was given on launch day because I worked for Sony at that point). I'll be interested to see what it adds to the Forza games and what the much talked about PS2 emulation is like.

This might sound a bit whack but every time someone says they’re getting an S or an X I feel happy about it, because I’ve just loved mine since the moment I got it back in March, they really are ace! Look forward to hearing what you think about it - and also £80 for a next gen console :blink2:

Yeah, if you're into FH4 the loading times are transformative on these new machines. I think it's fair to say FH4 just broke, or at least pushed to breaking point, the ability of the XB1 storage to keep up. It's almost cartridge-like on the new machines. You'll spend more time listening to NPC bants during missions than watching loading screens.