Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

19 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’d assumed it’s because it’s checking all 100+ games on the console to see if they need updates.

Pretty sure this is the reason. And don't forget the apps as well.

This might have been answered already, but I'm far too lazy to check:

if I have an external hard drive that I use with my Xbone, can I just plug it into my Series S and play the games stored on it (assuming they're Xbone of 360 titles?

Running out of space already. I'm thinking I'll bung everything I play on the external and make sure that Roblox, Minecraft, Overcooked et al that the kids play are one the One's internal drive.

1 minute ago, ScouserInExile said:

This might have been answered already, but I'm far too lazy to check:

if I have an external hard drive that I use with my Xbone, can I just plug it into my Series S and play the games stored on it (assuming they're Xbone of 360 titles?

Running out of space already. I'm thinking I'll bung everything I play on the external and make sure that Roblox, Minecraft, Overcooked et al that the kids play are one the One's internal drive.

Yes.

I've posted this in the Rewards thread, but early impression of the S:

The controller is great. Really love the feel of it, the d-pad seems really good (going to try some dragon punch type moves in KI to really test that).

I've played FH4 a bit this morning and loading screens virtually don't exist anymore. Weirdly, I didn't really notice much of a difference in loading with Hades.

Console is as quiet as a mouse. The fans on the two laptops I have in my office drown out any noise it makes.

I've not tried the instant resume thing, I'm not really sure how that all works...

The controller is great. Really love the feel of it, the d-pad seems really good (going to try some dragon punch type moves in KI to really test that).

I've played FH4 a bit this morning and loading screens virtually don't exist anymore. Weirdly, I didn't really notice much of a difference in loading with Hades.

Console is as quiet as a mouse. The fans on the two laptops I have in my office drown out any noise it makes.

I've not tried the instant resume thing, I'm not really sure how that all works...

IF a game has Quick Resume it'll tell you in the top right corner when you press the guide button. There's also a category you can pin to your home screen, it should be under Groups.

The S is a great machine. Got my son one just after Xmas and set it up for him. Really impressed with it. I was almost tempted to get one myself as it is so small and quiet. Probably enough power in it to keep me happy too.

However I also have a PC so decided to just use that instead. For £250 though something of a bargain given what you are getting.

2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

My recommendation would be not to even think about it. Sometimes (most times in my experience) games will launch much quicker as they’re utilising Quick Resume. When it happens it’s amazing. When it doesn’t loading is so quick anyway it’s not too much of a pain (but I’m so used to Quick Resume working now I do roll my eyes if I have to wait a few extra seconds!)

I'm very happy with my Series X but I watched this video last night and while the product shown here isn't for me (the PS5 is far too big and clunky for me to be bothered) he mentions there will be a similar version released for the Series S. If the price is right and it turns out to be a reliable setup, I'm tempted to get an S just to pair it with this screen. 

On the external storage front, is the xbox supposed to automatically delete the external version if you download an update to the S version (which it puts on the internal)?

I think I've ended up with various duplicates, not sure if it's safe to delete them!

Just now, StephenM said:

On the external storage front, is the xbox supposed to automatically delete the external version if you download an update to the S version (which it puts on the internal)?

I think I've ended up with various duplicates, not sure if it's safe to delete them!

It doesn't, but it's safe to delete the old version.

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I'm very happy with my Series X but I watched this video last night and while the product shown here isn't for me (the PS5 is far too big and clunky for me to be bothered) he mentions there will be a similar version released for the Series S. If the price is right and it turns out to be a reliable setup, I'm tempted to get an S just to pair it with this screen. 

PS5 Portable has got to be the best name for a video I've seen in a long time!

5 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Has anyone wall mounted their S using some of those mounts you can buy? Interested in recommendations (although imagine they're all pretty similar).

my mate has, not sure what brand but he likes it

CA997319-30A6-4C77-8A91-8A59F2CB5FC6.jpeg

I heard Game has stock on their Early Access pass thing - not so! Says out of stock when I click to add to basket.

Anywhere got any of these? Looking MUCH better than the PS5 for exclusives and I've always preferred the control pad.

No where has stock consistently of the X (it's easy to get an S). You'll need to use something like Stock Informer or other services to get notifications when some become available.

In the end I got lucky with Currys and ordered an X yesterday, arrived today (replacing the S I only bought last Thursday 😅). I've spent about two weeks monitoring for them, but decided an S was an okay stop gap, just didn't expect it to be such a short gap. At least I'm ready for FH5 now.

I'm in there, but I think I need to set my Discord notifications to be more aggressive - missed the Currys stock.

But I think you've mostly convinced me that an S is a good choice anyway - shame you can't tear it open and put a 2TB NVME drive in there.

7 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Because I can't get LAN game transfer working now, I just unplug my 2TB drive from the one and walk it to the other, then copy the game across. It's totally plug and play. The only caveat would be that this (likely) won't work for anything Series X|S optimized. 

Sneakernet. 

I have to say I really like the Serie's controller.

I love that it has a little weight to it, the textured grips, the d-pad and I think the analogue sticks may be the best I have ever used.

I may buy a second one just for my PC.

11 hours ago, Mallet said:

I have to say I really like the Serie's controller.

I love that it has a little weight to it, the textured grips, the d-pad and I think the analogue sticks may be the best I have ever used.

I may buy a second one just for my PC.

Yes they’re really nice to use aren’t they, I also like that you can choose your own battery solution, like their others too of course, I have some rechargeable batteries that last about 20 hours. 

This question may be a little strange but I thought I would double check.

Whenever I am browsing the Microsoft store through the app on my Xbox, are the reviews that people have left for the games that I see only for the Xbox version or do they include people reviewing the windows version as well? I have been browsing the gamepass app then I click the link to go to Microsoft store to get more details an I will see people comment on save game problems, hang ups on loading screens etc

I may have played 20 games on my consoles in the last 15 years or so, I've been almost exclusively a PC gamer, so I naively thought that while I know that of course console games have bugs I didn't think games would be released that  just hang on loading screens or corrupt your save games. I always thought, somewhat foolishly it seems, that issues like that were mostly on PC and  a price you sometimes have to pay for having almost infinite hardware and driver combinations. 

46 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yes they’re really nice to use aren’t they, I also like that you can choose your own battery solution, like their others too of course, I have some rechargeable batteries that last about 20 hours. 

The battery ‘solution’ for the Xbox pad is just MS being cheap. They should’ve stuck in a decent sized battery like the switch pro pad has.