Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

The Xbox ergonomics are fantastic. And the battery is a preference for some.

My issue with the Xbox controllers is that on Amazon they (currently at least) cost £1 more than a dual sense, when they have rubbish rumble, no gyro,  no trackpad, no haptic triggers and no battery. I get supply and demand, but they really need to add - at the very least - gyro.

This is my problem. They're really expensive considering the lack of modern features and the poor build quality. I'll never buy a Microsoft pad with rubber grips again. 

7 hours ago, the_debaser said:

That’s fair enough. I just prefer not have to mess about with swapping batteries every 15 hours. 

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just don’t like it. I wouldn’t accept having to swap batteries in my phone every day. 

I have a hot take… you need 2 PS5 (same as PS4) pads as they last for such a short time you have to have a backup pad and a charging dock - £85 extra just to be able to play games (I dont think i ever used my second PS4 pad for a local co op game and unlikely to use the PS5 pads in that way either…)

Xbox is now my main console, I only have one pad and have done since launch - I use eneloops and i dont even know how long they last between charges but way longer than Sony pads so I’m not really sure there is a downside, last longer and cheaper solution. So far ive managed to change the batteries without breaking the pad or throwing it in the paddling pool by mistake (genuine concern) 

The Switch pro pad does last days, its a lovely pad but unlike eneloops it will lose its charge when not played so if used its nice having a long charge time but any periods of non use (in between Nintendo bangers) guarantees a dead pad when you want to play it 🤬

I would like that all console games that require aiming have the option of gyro assisted aim, not mandatory just the option for people like me who want it. Nintendo does this the best I think, gyro aiming in the Zelda games is fantastic imo, use the analogue stick for the large motions and then gyro to fine tune your aim.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I have a hot take… you need 2 PS5 (same as PS4) pads as they last for such a short time you have to have a backup pad and a charging dock - £85 extra just to be able to play games

I’m jealous of how much free time you have.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’m jealous of how much free time you have.

Of late its been lockdown, i not going anywhere other than work (100% of all lockdowns worked) and general stress relief whilst working a job with odd hours - i dont actually play that much but tend to have long sessions on Fortnite once a week or so. I haven’t actually played and completed any single player games in a long time and lots of FOMO leads to purchases like a PS5….

3 hours ago, Mallet said:

I would like that all console games that require aiming have the option of gyro assisted aim, not mandatory just the option for people like me who want it. Nintendo does this the best I think, gyro aiming in the Zelda games is fantastic imo, use the analogue stick for the large motions and then gyro to fine tune your aim.

Just 100% this. I got Quake on Gamepass, but I bought it again for switch because, the gyro aiming makes such a difference. Swing in the general direction and then effortless adjustments to hit, with gyro.

I had to break my addiction to invert-y to get my head around gyro, but I'm glad I did. it's just so much fun and effortless now. The fact that the Xbox Series pad is basically a 360 pad in a better shell is bonkers.  When they've done so much fantastic work on the design on the S and X, it seems a weird dropped ball.

6 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Still introduces an element of wear and tear on the back of the joypad plus makes it heavier than it needs to be. If you compare it to the switch pro there is a weight difference. 

Anyway, seems some people like popping batteries in and out of controllers, so I’ll leave it there. 

You can buy rechargeable battery packs for Xbox that come with their own charging dock, so you don’t even need to plug in a usb lead or remove the battery - zero wear & tear on the pad, zero popping batteries in & out. 

8 hours ago, max renn said:

Yeah I have an X in the front room and the boy is next door on the S... Virgin media wired for me and wireless for him. Daft thing is after a reboot etc it works but then flips to moderate which is what's getting my goat,

Multiple consoles just sounds like it would be a mare to configure manually, but UPnP should solve it. That sets security experts off but I'm not sure what regular joe at home is supposed to do.

Anyway, no experience of your router but may be worth ensuring UPnP is turned on. It allows each machine on the LAN to tell the router where to send certain types of traffic (e.g., Live) and on which port. Probably the only sane way to have two Xboxes. 

4 hours ago, T Pot said:

This is my problem. They're really expensive considering the lack of modern features and the poor build quality. I'll never buy a Microsoft pad with rubber grips again. 

Interesting, my Forza 6 edition pad has the rubber back, it's lovely and hasn't worn at all which is surprising after all this time. I've noticed some play in the right stick on my regular (and newer) XB1 pad though, so the kids have been hammering that one.

I don't necessarily understand it, but the value behind an Xbox Series S (which I just got for £170 for a used one off ebay) + Game Pass is unbelievable. Back in the good old Dreamcast days a single import copy of Sonic Adventure or Shenmue would set you back about £100. A whole GP sub is - officially - approx. £120/year (no ownership / re-sell value anymore though). 

35 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Interesting, my Forza 6 edition pad has the rubber back, it's lovely and hasn't worn at all which is surprising after all this time. I've noticed some play in the right stick on my regular (and newer) XB1 pad though, so the kids have been hammering that one.

I had 1 Elite V1 pad where the rubber expanded and peeled, but I know 6 people directly who had the issue. I also have a Design Lab pad which I've had replaced 3 years in a row as the rubber is always starting to peel within 12 months.

I usually keep on top of my game updates/it does it itself but tonight there’s 23! Has there been something rolled out, I think some said upgrade rather than update? It’s a random bunch - halo mcc, gears 5(? - maybe, I downloaded it for some games pass thing), slay the spire, streets of rage 4, no mans sky (think this had a sizeable update recently so it could be that), fallen order (and the deluxe upgrade), warzone etc

Anyone else?

Played Street Fighter II in the 30th Anniversary Collection on my S last night. 

Oh the d-pad! The d-pad, the d-pad! 

First time since the SNES that I've been able to consistently pull off Dragon Punches. It's just spot on. 

Very, very impressed with the new controller. Even just the textured grips are a great addition. Did I mention the d-pad as well? It's pretty good. 

It's funny, I've exclusively been playing old / cross gen games on the S and it still feels like a big leap forward. FH4 is a different game. 

First Quick Resume annoyance last night around game updates.

Was playing Psychonauts 2 earlier in the evening and when I returned later it forced an update on me. Once the 3.6Gb update was downloaded (WTF at why patches are still huge - this should be a priority imo for platform holders, engine developers, and developers to reduce) I had to restart and lost my current progress, reloading my save.

It was only one room it hadn't saved in this case but it feels like Quick Resume shouldn't force updates. I wouldn't be forced to update if I had kept playing so why would restoring out of memory require it.

I take some of this back if there was a menu option to skip the download and I mashed through it. Although the default should be not to update.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is still utterly broken when you Quick Resume.

It used to corrupt or delete your saves without warning. Now it's changed: when you boot from Quick Resume it pops up a message nearly every time saying "A problem has occurred which means you cannot save. Please restart the game".

I mean that's better, obviously, but why the hell they can't fix this - or simply disable the feature for this game - is beyond me. It's a bit frustrating that I can't just disable QR for this one game and have to remember to manually quit after each session.

I wonder what the condition a game has to fulfill to enable Quick Resume? All the talk sounds like it's something that's on a system level that'd triggered by certain things a game has or does. Like QR on Dead By Daylight is entirely pointless because it just boots you back to the title screen, but it's still there.

My nephew manage to get an xbox Series X off Amazon the lucky sod.  He's asking what monitor to connect it to.  Are there decent 4K monitors about?   I think last time I peeked into the PC threads the HDR on monitors was shit?

It's going to go into his bedroom so getting a 42 inch 4K TV might not work. 

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I wonder what the condition a game has to fulfill to enable Quick Resume? All the talk sounds like it's something that's on a system level that'd triggered by certain things a game has or does. Like QR on Dead By Daylight is entirely pointless because it just boots you back to the title screen, but it's still there.

If I had to guess, Dead by Daylight has been coded to detect when it has been resumed and just boots you back to the title screen as a way of avoiding bugs that the developer knows about.

There are probably lots of things to do with timing and state that you wouldn’t have to worry about under normal play that are a bastard to try and fix.

You’d have to think that Microsoft is advising developers on how to make sure their games are compatible going forward.

1 minute ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've plugged the hard drive I used to have in my One into my Series S. There's games on there that are Series enhanced. DO I now have to copy these to the internal drive, or can I play them in their original form from the external drive?

They need to be played from the internal as a rule.