Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

22 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Question on cloud syncing... Is it part amazing and part really annoying.

I've got an X and an S and find it's tricky to move from playing a game on one to the other because half the time the other console will end up syncing and earlier save state.

Is there a way to force upload the save I'm missing? It seems like an obvious requirement. Basically playing in bed in the morning. Quit. Force upload. Then start up later in the lounge.

Do you have the consoles in instant on mode? If not and you close the console before it has had time to sync it’ll not be there - with instant on they’ll still upload to cloud after you’ve shut down.

32 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I'm erring towards my original plan of a giant spinning rust drive to compliment the XSX. Looking at some WD_black drives, the 2.5" external has a peak read of 140MB/s (5TB) and a 3.5" with active cooling peaking at 250MB/s (8-12TB). Is this just the difference between 5400 and 7200rpm? I'm guessing the internal drive on the XB1 is 5400 and so load times for non-VA older titles will be a whisker faster, or about the same? I think this is fine and, honestly, it would be nice not to have to think about deleting stuff. One of my major constraints is my damn monthly data cap, and getting a big HDD is cheaper than bumping my data cap up. Also, my kids bounce off a lot of Game Pass titles but then go back to them later, and keeping those around on blazing storage doesn't make sense. 

I assume you don't see a proper difference until you go at least SSD (~900MB/s) but an external 1TB is a decent chunk of the official 1TB drive and so the value proposition feels less.

I have an 8 year old 3TB external drive. I downloaded loads of games onto it over a week. If I want to play I just move it from external to internal and it takes ten minutes. Best and cheapest option. 

Yeah, I've got my eye on either that 5TB 2.5" model, or the lowest 3.5" which would be 8TB. Sounds like if there are modest gains on a bog standard external drive, there may be a whisker more with the 7200 drive.

Appreciate the advice! 

20 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Do you have the consoles in instant on mode? If not and you close the console before it has had time to sync it’ll not be there - with instant on they’ll still upload to cloud after you’ve shut down.

I think they're both in instant on but will check.

17 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, I've got my eye on either that 5TB 2.5" model, or the lowest 3.5" which would be 8TB. Sounds like if there are modest gains on a bog standard external drive, there may be a whisker more with the 7200 drive.

Appreciate the advice! 

If it’s a permanent attachment get a 3.5” drive. The usb3.0 bus is faster than the spinning rust can move and you’ll get much more capacity. 

I have 2.5” rusty drive attached and it’s fast enough but freaked out the wife one evening when it span up out of the blue. 

58 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Appreciate the advice! 

The Seagate are alway on offer on HotUKDeals. I think 4tb is 80 so massively cheaper than the ssd stick thing. Games run much faster off it due to the better cpu i imagine. 

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'm erring towards my original plan of a giant spinning rust drive to compliment the XSX. Looking at some WD_black drives, the 2.5" external has a peak read of 140MB/s (5TB) and a 3.5" with active cooling peaking at 250MB/s (8-12TB).

If the WD drive you're looking at is one of the WD D10s (which as far as I can see are the only active cooling 8-12TB ones they do) then personally I'd advise against going for one. Price per TB they are great (when on sale) but that I'm afraid is about it!! The one I had was crazy loud (like waaaaaay beyond that of any HD I've ever had) which I've also read others reporting and the performance was no better than that of a (nice and quiet) Seagate 5400 that I had. I detailed my findings over on Hot UK deals as from time to time pop up on there. Here's a link to it in which you'll see that others also found them unberably loud:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wd-black-d10-game-drive-for-xbox-12tb-7200rpm-with-active-cooling-ps22567-delivered-uk-mainland-at-amazon-spain-3782061

And here's what I put in case for some reason link doesn't work or the post / thread goes missing:

Spoiler

pow2622/08/2021 19:56

Noisy as hell. Mines going back tomorrow.

DaRockwilder122/08/2021 21:11

As others say it is very noisy, need to unplug it when not in use.

Womble9

They're a crazy loud drive aren't they!!

I bought one and put my thoughts / findings of it up on here in January:

"It's certainly a very good price per TB but please take a look at the reviews / take a read of my personal experience with one of these before taking the plunge!!

I bought one in the BF sales (£185 IIRR) which I kept set to one side for when I finally got and then set up my Series X. When all that came together (probably about 2-3 weeks ago) straight away I was more than a bit "whoa" re the noises it made. Not only were the noises way louder than that of any HD that I've had before (internal or external) but it was also grinding, clunking and pinging away even when the X wasn't running and that was with everything updated!?! I tried sitting it on foam (that helped a bit as some of the noises / vibrations were resonating through the shelf) laying it flat or standing it vertically (it has feet and a stand for the former / latter) and even using a much longer cable to pop it further away from me under my sofa and nothing brought it down to levels that weren't still easily noticeable / annoying to me.

I then ran a few back to back game loading tests with it against a Seagate 6TB drive (so 7200WD vs 5400SG) and the Series Xs own internal to see whether there was such a difference that meant I should persevere with silencing attempts. I took a look on my Seagate external at my games file sizes and I had more in that were 10-20GB than any other size so I picked Crackdown 3 (15GB) as my test game and here are the results of 3 x CD3 loadings from each drive:

Series X internal
1) 24:23
2) 30:38
3) 29:21
Total 01:23.82 (freaky fast first load gives it the win, tried 4/5 times again and couldn't get it to repeat it! That said it did do the time so it's in here, just don't count on it doing it again!!)

Seagate 6TB
1) 30:51
2) 30:45
3) 31:51
Total 01:32.47

WD 12TB
1) 33:55
2) 30:92
3) 29:95
Total 01:34.02

TLDR. Good value per TB but be aware that it's by far the loudest HD I've ever owned to the point of having to return it. Many other Amazon reviews also mention as to how incredibly loud it it is. Sadly no good for me and with no speed advantage (I was a bit surprised by that) it went back. I now use a Seagate 6TB Backup Plus Hub (same as this one) which sits on my home office desk about 2-3 ft away from me and is whisper quiet 90% of the time to the point that this fella's fine with it....

image.png.c8929c60fad7722976ce762efc2ac032.png

:)

Yeah, it's the D10. Glad I asked, that's great feedback. It has to be silent in the livingroom. I know you can have the Xbox turn them off when not in use, but I've noticed ye olde faithful 2tb seagate on my XB1 upstairs still powers up when the console is off. Maybe it's doing some Instant On behind the scenes stuff, no idea. But I had to tape over the bright blue LED light on it.

I couldn't quite see the seagate you have there, a very content kitty in the way. Is this basically it? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QH2JCL?ref=emc_p_m_5_i&th=1

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

https://www.vg247.com/xbox-controller-double-tap-feature

Feature to double tap the sync button to toggle between a synced device (e.g., PC) and an Xbox rolling out to alpha insiders. That'll be excellent, I think I'll sync one of the XSX controllers to me PC, finally. Also, this will enable BT LE and other stuff for better latency. 

I had a distinct sense of dejavu reading your post - isn’t this feature already available? And yes, it is, this is something you’ve been able to do for a while now - the current beta is for bluetooth Xbone controllers. 

If you’ve got an SX controller you can do this now! It’s extremely handy, say, when you want to do a bit of Gamepass steaming on your laptop. 

Yeah, it says so in the article -

Soon, more Xbox controllers will make use of the double tap feature to switch between devices using the pair button.

This feature was previously available only on Xbox Series X/S controllers.