Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

27 minutes ago, Hamus said:

This is an amazing piece of kit.

When I got a PS4 (only 2018) it didn't feel 'next gen'.

This truly does, it's pretty seamless. It is only held back by my slow broadband!

One question. How many quick resume titles can it stack?

There's no set amount AFAIK, but it's somewhere between 5 and 10 in general. I think.

29 minutes ago, Hamus said:

One question. How many quick resume titles can it stack?

Five I think (reading suggests it might be variable as moosegrinder says above).

Although I'm finding the majority of things I play don't seem to support it at the moment. I've got Forza Horizon 4 and Hades in it at the moment. But Omno and Sable which I'm also playing don't. It's not that big a deal but it's so much better when it does.

So we had a powercut yesterday and I was pre-annoyed at the thought of turning the S back on - the PS4 chides you and puts you through a loading screen so you know you've been a bad boy for not turning it off properly, like it was your choice to eat dinner by torchlight.

The S turns back on with no issues, and quick resumes straight back into Hades. Nice.

The console version of Edge has been updated to Chromium now so you can play Stadia on your Xbox now. Seems a little finicky to get going if you are just using the Xbox pad but if you have a Stadia controller it works fine. 

I think the dash is 4K now as well. I loaded it up this morning and my ancient avatar gamerpic suddenly seemed very low-res which I'm guessing is down to a higher resolution for the dashboard. 

Would you even want to split your bandwidth that way? I'm not sure it would make it any faster. It's not like a web page where multiple connections all off fetching page assets would somehow make it render more quickly, you're talking about massive, individual (to the user) downloads.

I don't notice the adverts, and I've definitely never had anything as unrelated to gaming as covid vaccines. I wonder if it's regional. Although I figured we'd all be used to this by now, with Google nagging me 17 times a day to try Chrome, YouTube TV, YouTube Premium, and all the other nonsense.

Came here to post about Edge now being the Chromium version. That'll mean xCloud on XB1, presumably. Although I expect it'll get proper support at some point.

19 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's no benefit to it, that's why. Your bandwidth is limited - splitting it across two or more games just means you wait longer for any one of them. 

A queue is entirely sensible. 

Maybe for huge games, not so much for smaller updates.

No, I’m not. When I first wrote that I didn’t see a way to prioritise downloads and it all seemed very clunky.

On the subject of always on, it very rarely downloads game updates when it’s in standby mode. Is it like the switch where if you don’t play a game for a while it doesn’t bother? It downloaded the first store update when I turned it on, too.

38 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's no benefit to it, that's why. Your bandwidth is limited - splitting it across two or more games just means you wait longer for any one of them. 

A queue is entirely sensible. 

This! I genuinely can't see any reason as to why if I had 5 games to download / update I would only want them to do so at only 20% of their potential update / download speed?!? Surely if it were like that then plenty of folks would be calling out for a simple queue and would be delighted to be given one whereby you could prioritise titles.....ie exactly what we've got!

30 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Maybe for huge games, not so much for smaller updates.

But you can only play one game at a time. If the updates really are small, you'll barely have got stuck into Game A before the rest come through in turn. If they're large, you're back at the problem of having to wait longer to play anything.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

There's no set amount AFAIK, but it's somewhere between 5 and 10 in general. I think.

I have seen photos where a guy had every single Yakuza game on quick resume. Most i have had is 7 but i rarely play more than 3 games at a time. Having Hades on quick resume is the best thing thats happened to this gen though. 

6 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

But you can only play one game at a time. If the updates really are small, you'll barely have got stuck into Game A before the rest come through in turn. If they're large, you're back at the problem of having to wait longer to play anything.

Yes, yes, I already said twice it stemmed from the prioritising thing and I apologise for any confusion caused.

That said, I want everything straight away and the Xbox UI is still awful.

18 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Yeah I couldn’t workout how to prioritise game downloads. I do now :sherlock:

Nice one :).

Personally I really like the Series X dash, though I did have a One and then One X before so the familiarity / knowing my way around it coupled with the speed boost of the X was always going to make for a nice experience for me. 

I have a thing where a download will start but it takes a long time before it actually shows you how much has downloaded (and how long there is to go). Only seems to affect small app downloads (which take a relatively long time for their size).

In defence of the Xbox and Fortnite specifically, when season 8 went live recently my Series X was the only console in the house that just got on and background downloaded it. I had to set the switch and PlayStations downloading manually, but by the time I fired up the Xbox it was all done. 

2 minutes ago, lankysanchez said:

In defence of the Xbox and Fortnite specifically, when season 8 went live recently my Series X was the only console in the house that just got on and background downloaded it. I had to set the switch and PlayStations downloading manually, but by the time I fired up the Xbox it was all done. 

Yeah, I've found it pretty reliable for that sort of thing. Of course there will always be situations where you want to play something that has just been patched, but there's no getting around that.

I also appreciate the fact that when it says something's downloaded, it's actually ready to play, unlike the PS4 that then spends another hour "copying".

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I have seen photos where a guy had every single Yakuza game on quick resume. Most i have had is 7 but i rarely play more than 3 games at a time. Having Hades on quick resume is the best thing thats happened to this gen though. 

The limit is how much of the storage space it uses - in other words, how much RAM it is dumping to the SSD. I've had like 13 games all in quick resume at one point.

Last gen games not updated for this gen take up a lot less so you can have loads of those. It's annoying that samurai warriors 4 doesn't seem to use it, perfect sort of game for QR.

As for updating, all the consoles do the same thing of not patching games you don't use much but quite a few times I've read about a new patch for some game, gone to boot up the Xbox and found it's already downloaded and installed, it seems more aggressive about picking those up in standby than PS4 or switch (I don't have a ps5).