Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Patching takes as long as it takes; there's no way to speed it up. Would you rather things just didn't get fixed?

To be fair, it would be good to be able to play the game without updating. Once there’s a patch, it locks you out of the game until you apply it.

22 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I guess but I'd rather play a fixed game though.

Can you not just disconnect the internet connection and play?

I’m not that arsed really. Certainly not to the point I’d prioritise unplugging my Ethernet cable over letting the game update. I’m too lazy for that!

I think my series x has just died.

After booting up after a minute or so the power light blinks rapidly and it shuts off completely, the controller light stays on and when booting up the xbox again it does the whole launch sequence them does the same again

Just tried to reset console to see if it helps

Edit: got through the reset process without it happening and fingers crossed it seems okay now.. 

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Luckily you should have a few minutes spare when the Xbox updates. 

It just seems odd that folk laud quick resume, ssds and the like for providing a fast gaming experience, but when it comes to problems like slow updates or patches they are ignored and even defended because what else can the poor devs do? 

I'm not defending anyone, I'm taking the piss. Updates on the Switch DO take a long time if they're sufficiently big, they just tend not to be. I can't stand the size of modern games, and with a 1Tb monthly data cap I have to plan out which games I download and which I update (only have the OS set to auto).

If you want to complain about the fact that you frequently have to re-download the whole 11gb for No Man's Sky instead of some delta patch, man I'm there. Add some extra context. This is an industry wide problem.

Most of the games I play on any system don't update often at all. I don't play a lot of live services stuff though. PS4 is by far the worst offender in terms of how long it takes.

I gave up on CoD because of the practically weekly 20gig+ patches, that always seemed to be on my day that was free to play a lot of games.

I've had my Series X hooked up to my LG CX55 in 4K HDR for several months with no issues.  Today when I turned the Xbox on I was stuck in 640x480 resolution with no other options.  A quick Google showed me how to rectify this in part, but I can no longer get any better than 1080p, with the Xbox telling me my TV is not 4K capable.  I have turned the TV on and off, and done a full shutdown and restart of the Xbox, and removed and reinserted the HMDI lead to no avail.  Any ideas, RLLMUK?

19 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah you can. Pair it to both devices, then you can just double tap the sync button to switch between PC and Xbox.

I'm assuming this is only for Bluetooth connections, as it doesn't appear to work using the dongle on the PC.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'm assuming this is only for Bluetooth connections, as it doesn't appear to work using the dongle on the PC.

Yeah Bluetooth only, it doesn’t work with the Xbox PC dongle (presumably because it’s the same type of connection as it makes with the Xbox).

Shame really as the dongle is the only way to avoid some games having FPS problems when using Bluetooth controllers

3 hours ago, Stejay said:

I've had my Series X hooked up to my LG CX55 in 4K HDR for several months with no issues.  Today when I turned the Xbox on I was stuck in 640x480 resolution with no other options.  A quick Google showed me how to rectify this in part, but I can no longer get any better than 1080p, with the Xbox telling me my TV is not 4K capable.  I have turned the TV on and off, and done a full shutdown and restart of the Xbox, and removed and reinserted the HMDI lead to no avail.  Any ideas, RLLMUK?

This happens to me with my Xbox series X and CX now and then.  Just do a reset console on the Xbox and it fixes it everytime. 

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

Shame really as the dongle is the only way to avoid some games having FPS problems when using Bluetooth controllers

And the bigger shame for me is the PC doesn't have Bluetooth.

But it's not much of a hardship using a separate controller for it. A less nice controller, mind.

10 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Luckily you should have a few minutes spare when the Xbox updates. 

It just seems odd that folk laud quick resume, ssds and the like for providing a fast gaming experience, but when it comes to problems like slow updates or patches they are ignored and even defended because what else can the poor devs do? 

Yeah what else can they do?

Your car is easy to keep going with petrol but when it needs a service it's all day! Fucking shit the bed all cars are shit, the people who make them are monsters!

18 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I always found the PS4 system bizarre as you needed 3x the size of the game available it seemed - the original unpatched game, the size of the new download but then that space again to decompress/install it or something weird.

This was something that was introduced half way through the PS4's life, the "copying" thing. 

I - think - it's basically making a second copy of the install before the update so it can roll back to it instantly if the update fails.

Something like that. 

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This was something that was introduced half way through the PS4's life, the "copying" thing. 

I - think - it's basically making a second copy of the install before the update so it can roll back to it instantly if the update fails.

Something like that. 

Yeah, it’s become quite standard across tech to create a more reliable experience.

The ultimate implementation of it at the OS level I think is on Pixel phones (assume they still do it) where they copy themselves and update the non-running copy in the background and when you actually choose to reboot to “install” the upgrade they basically switch to the new version at boot. Then finalise a little once up and running (again in the background). The resulting being an upgrade process that is basically just a very slightly longer reboot (measured in seconds rather than minutes most of the time).

Is there anyway to restore licenses on XB? Some of my 360 BC XBLA games aren't showing in my library, and when i search for them in the store it's asking me to pay again. I definitely own them on this gamertag/account, and can boot them on my 360. Sonic CD and Blood Dragon so far.

6 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Is there anyway to restore licenses on XB? Some of my 360 BC XBLA games aren't showing in my library, and when i search for them in the store it's asking me to pay again. I definitely own them on this gamertag/account, and can boot them on my 360. Sonic CD and Blood Dragon so far.

I don't see how you can own and pay for them again, unless it's offering you the chance to buy a gift for someone else. You could always download them to your console from the phone app and see what happens. It won't charge you on the phone, it'll download to your console and deal with the license when you try to launch it, it should work if you own it on your account. 

By chance, do you have another account on the 360? is it possible that's the owner of the games?

No, it's definitely my main account. I logged into my 360 upstairs, went to my games, and Sonic CD is sat ready to play. So i went to options, licence transfer, to ensure that all games are licensed to my account, which went through successfully. I then deleted it, and on the game page through my 360, started to download it again no problem. Just booted up my One, went to the store and it still wants me to pay £3.39 for it. Weird.

If I log into the xbox live website, I can't access the 360 history, just the history on my One and it's not there of course.

Will do a full shutdown on the one and log back in, maybe it takes a while to identify the license holder

Will also try the phone app

22 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

No, it's definitely my main account. I logged into my 360 upstairs, went to my games, and Sonic CD is sat ready to play. So i went to options, licence transfer, to ensure that all games are licensed to my account, which went through successfully. I then deleted it, and on the game page through my 360, started to download it again no problem. Just booted up my One, went to the store and it still wants me to pay £3.39 for it. Weird.

If I log into the xbox live website, I can't access the 360 history, just the history on my One and it's not there of course.

Will do a full shutdown on the one and log back in, maybe it takes a while to identify the license holder

I had this when I set up my Xbox 360 after a couple of years. I suddenly got Sega Rally Arcade and a couple of others to work after them saying I should rebuy them, I'll see if I can find the post.

25 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

On 04/09/2021 at 05:47, moosegrinder said:

Tbh I'm thinking about replacing my One X in my room with a Series S for when I need to vacate the front room for multiplayer as all the One X enhanced games that me and my group play have had X/S upgrades. Just not sure if it's worth forking out for at the minute. Amazon had some yesterday over here.

I reached out to Xbox Support about the Xbox 360 thing and they sent a copy and paste direct message about resetting my Xbox console that doesn't really address the question of "Does restoring licenses on my Xbox 360 affect my Series X?"

The last time I tried to look at my purchase history through the 360 it wouldn't actually load as it tries to do it through the web browser.

I've gone through the download history through the 360 UI and it's a right mess. There's nothing to sort by, lots of "This content is unavailable" (which could be incompatible stuff like one and series things) and I finally found it and it wants me to pay for it again. 

I guess I knew this would be the case. I just tried to redownload it and it opened a screen that had a load of games with "!Assigned To Another Console" message so I guess that's it. What a shame. Best go and dig out what physical games I've got for my Xbox and see if I still have Sega Rally.

Right, this doesn't tell you much, but the pads did stop being half filled AFTER I'd gone to the purchase history on my Xbox 360 console and scrolled through a shitload of what I'd bought because it doesn't do it in any kind of order. I couldn't get the browser on the console to link to the 360 purchases on the Xbox website. I was hoping this would be more informative for you, but I absolutely didn't reauthorise any licenses and it still started working.