IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

console wars rulez means that now Sony will have to launch a fridge too (good luck making it look like the monstrosity that is the PS5 design) and people will be arguing over which one keeps your drinks cooler or is a better kind of cold.

Sony actually have a fridge of their own already but they neglect it and don’t advertise it.

Loving the Series S so far, it’s just runs so much faster than my old XBox One. My only complaint is that the ON light is at the top of the unit and not cantered like the One, after years of looking at the old console it just looks wrong.

Would it be technically possible for them to maybe make a hub for the expansion cards at some point? Or would it not work because of how they work, the speed of them etc? I know you can hot swap them, but I'd rather avoid doing that, just in case.

4 hours ago, SteveH said:

Would it be technically possible for them to maybe make a hub for the expansion cards at some point? Or would it not work because of how they work, the speed of them etc? I know you can hot swap them, but I'd rather avoid doing that, just in case.

I saw someone had worked out how to connect a generic nvme drive with an adapter, so maybe, but I think it's probably easier to accept that you don't need more than 2tb of games available instantly at all times. 

9 hours ago, SteveH said:

You could theoretically have a device with a PCIE switch chip providing additional lanes and therefore more devices. But that would not provide any additional bandwidth, not that it would be too much if an issue as you would very likely only be talking to a single device at any one time. 

9 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

but I think it's probably easier to accept that you don't need more than 2tb of games available instantly at all times. 

Indeed! Not really struggled for space on the new consoles. Although I don't play stuff like Call Of Duty etc apparently on a full install with all DLC it can eat serious amounts of disk space.

Wouldn't a better option be to just have a regular spinner external drive and just copy things you aren't playing to/from that? Quicker that downloading again if you connection isn't great.

55 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed! Not really struggled for space on the new consoles. Although I don't play stuff like Call Of Duty etc apparently on a full install with all DLC it can eat serious amounts of disk space.

Wouldn't a better option be to just have a regular spinner external drive and just copy things you aren't playing to/from that? Quicker that downloading again if you connection isn't great.

I had that setup before I got the expansion card and tbh, I found it a bit annoying.  Not very annoying but enough that I felt the expansion (at 25% off rrp, admittedly) was worth it and don't regret buying it.

I think 2tb (or whatever is left after formatting,  OS reservations, etc)  is enough to have games that I'm actively interested in playing available and ones that I play very occasionally available too.  That definitely won't be worth it to some people, and I think the expectation is that once crossgen comes to an end and games are built for Series Consoles specifically, compression will be better and games will be smaller, so if you can put up with it, do so, would be my advice.

Whatever the case,  this has all been said over and over and over and over and over and over and over.  Not as often as the gamepass question, but not far off, so apologies to anyone who read this, for any reason whatsoever.