IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

I think you have to consider the absurd speed of the storage. That's what transforms FH4. Literally the longest loading times of any XB1 game I own, it made playing it a chore. Even menus took ages to appear. It's like it's loading off a cartridge on the XSX.

Indeed. Although my PC is fully SSDd!

Had a Series X until my earlier this year and cannot justify having two consoles so moved over to a PS5 - the idea being that my PC would do the GamePass stuff. However it's creaking a bit at times (having to drop detail detail levels etc) and still can't get PC components at sensible prices. 

Not fussed about getting another X as it mostly was wasted on my 60hz monitor. Just want something quick, quiet and small to play games on until I can get the PC sorted. At £250 seems the Series S is a bit of a bargain and will make a ideal stopgap. Might even not bother upgrading the PC at all in the end.

Anyway thanks for the input all. I'll go and ponder for a bit. I'll probably see how the next bunch of MS games (FH5/Halo) run on my PC and go from there. 

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

Indeed. Although my PC is fully SSDd!

Had a Series X until my earlier this year and cannot justify having two consoles so moved over to a PS5 - the idea being that my PC would do the GamePass stuff. However it's creaking a bit at times (having to drop detail detail levels etc) and still can't get PC components at sensible prices. 

Not fussed about getting another X as it mostly was wasted on my 60hz monitor. Just want something quick, quiet and small to play games on until I can get the PC sorted. At £250 seems the Series S is a bit of a bargain and will make a ideal stopgap. Might even not bother upgrading the PC at all in the end.

Anyway thanks for the input all. I'll go and ponder for a bit. I'll probably see how the next bunch of MS games (FH5/Halo) run on my PC and go from there. 

Judging by your spec, your pc is somewhere between minimum and recommended on fh5. Halo was meant to be a joke on pc in beta. I tried beta on series s and was a solid 1080p, 60fps. Here is footage of FH5 running on series s in performance mode, looks fantastic.

I'm running rtx 2070 and Ryzen 2700x 8c/16t and tbh I'm using my series s more these days. I'm only really using pc for exclusives and cheap games I pick up.

I only ever have a couple of games on go at once, so storage ain't issue on the S and shows it can hold its own on next gen stuff. Farcry 6 being most recent case, running at a solid 60fps between 1080p-2k Vs x 2160p. 

1 hour ago, Hodge said:

I'm running rtx 2070 and Ryzen 2700x 8c/16t and tbh I'm using my series s more these days. I'm only really using pc for exclusives and cheap games I pick up.

I only ever have a couple of games on go at once, so storage ain't issue on the S and shows it can hold its own on next gen stuff. Farcry 6 being most recent case, running at a solid 60fps between 1080p-2k Vs x 2160p. 

Seems like a S maybe the way I go. I have similar use cases for my PC these days. Steam and well game pass now and again oh and tinkering with VR.  Looking at the cost of upgrading my PC to play games its quite insane really... I'm not really what you'd call a hardcore gamer into FPS games etc. More of a tinkerer really and play mainly arcade and story based games. A new PC would cost me around £1000+ as it would need a complete motherboard/CPU/RAM/GPU upgrade. Which I cannot really justify to play games (PC is fine for everything else I use it for - well apart from my Zen1 CPU not being compatible with Windows 11!!!!).

The turtle looks daft, but I'm liking the potential for what special editions you could get of a brick standing on end. Like, if there hasn't been a Minecraft edition that looks like an elongated mud block with grass on top, they should get on that. 

On 11/10/2021 at 22:01, Dudley said:

Yeah there's nothing super special about how Forza H 4 runs on a Series.

But you'll be able to find that out REALLY FUCKING QUICKLY.

I still can't believe that you can switch from another game to this and be driving in about 5 seconds. It really feels next gen.

Hoping you helpful lot can break this down for me in the simplest of terms. So my game pass ultimate is about to expire in the next couple days, but I’m wondering if I can still take advantage of the gold to game pass conversion/stacking for £1 when I renew? 

Because I used that method originally, am I now exempt from using it again. Is it a one time per account situation? 

1 minute ago, Akira said:

Hoping you helpful lot can break this down for me in the simplest of terms. So my game pass ultimate is about to expire in the next couple days, but I’m wondering if I can still take advantage of the gold to game pass conversion/stacking for £1 when I renew? 

Because I used that method originally, am I now exempt from using it again. Is it a one time per account situation? 

The £1 deal is a "one time per account" thing, but you can still use other routes that are only a tiny bit more expensive.

As before, stock up on Gold.

Then either directly buy one month of GPU (£11 I think), or buy a 14-day GPU trial code from eBay (about a fiver).

In either case, when you activate it, it will convert your Gold to GPU.

Just now, Akira said:

You can basically the same offer (stack Xbox live gold up to 3 years) but you have to pay 10.99 instead of 99p. Just make sure it's expired so you can load up to the maximum.

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Every page of every thread. 

No need to be like that to the poor guy.

Lots of people obviously find it confusing.

@Akira There's a bit of a guide in the first post of this thread.

Guys, let me know if this needs to be updated. I'm signed up until 2023 or something so haven't really kept up with any new developments in this area.

I bought 12 months of Xbox live gold the other day and when I went to redeem in on the MS website, it made me convert it into 4 months of Ultimate (when I was hoping for 12 months).

Not sure how that happened, still a bit miffed. 

9 minutes ago, KRP said:

I bought 12 months of Xbox live gold the other day and when I went to redeem in on the MS website, it made me convert it into 4 months of Ultimate (when I was hoping for 12 months).

It only converts to 12 months if you don’t have an active Ultimate subscription.

You have to let Ultimate expire, then load the Live and then subscribe to Ultimate again. The remaining live subscription then converts on a month for month basis.

2 hours ago, KRP said:

^Maybe we should put this at the top of the guide in the first post instead of only at the bottom @Harsin. "DON'T APPLY GOLD CODES TO EXTEND YOUR SUBSCRIPTION UNTIL AFTER YOUR SUBSCRIPTION ENDS"

But yeah, that's what happened @KRP. The conversion rate from gold to ultimate while your ultimate sub is still running, is terrible. Money wasted. Always wait until your subscription runs out, then you can convert 1:1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

^Maybe we should put this at the top of the guide in the first post instead of only at the bottom @Harsin. "DON'T APPLY GOLD CODES TO EXTEND YOUR SUBSCRIPTION UNTIL AFTER YOUR SUBSCRIPTION ENDS"

But yeah, that's what happened @KRP. The conversion rate from gold to ultimate while your ultimate sub is still running, is terrible. Money wasted. Always wait until your subscription runs out, then you can convert 1:1

Done

3 hours ago, Byronscrote said:

As a previous user, I upgraded this week and it only cost me £1, not £10.99.  

Were you a previous regular Game Pass user maybe, instead of Ultimate? The rule only applies to previous Ultimate users specifically, regular GP doesn't count.

Oh boo!

I probably should have only gone for one year initially (rather than 3), that way I could topped up annually more cheaply. Although, on the other hand who knows when this deal is going to end anyway, guessing MS will have to put a stop to it at some point, it’s just crazy value atm.