IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

The blades were shit. I mean, yes, I have nostalgia for them too but that UI was never designed to accommodate a marketplace with tens of thousands of games and movies etc and there was acres of wasted space on every screen. It was horribly inefficient.

Look how much space is wasted on the sides and bottom.

image.png.b4ddd76ac4f66d05e2ff77c13134f5f0.png

The UI on Xbox is so much better than the other consoles. 

I'm a few button presses from where I want to be. The fact it's customisable means I have 4 tabs with no clutter. 

I've hated all dashboards and UI's since they became a thing.  That's because i am stuck in my ways of course.

I just want a dashboard with maybe two or three  things on it ( on the Xbox Series X )    Gamepass, Microsoft Store and My Game Library  and nowt else.

One screen.  One.

- Someone is going to tell me i can do it aren't they :) 

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Anyway sure @CrichStand probably has more questions. Might be better trying to help out where necessary rather than just telling him to send it back to Amazon! :D 

Indeed, he's getting lots and lots of help. I did actually glance at YouTube and found many beginners tutorials.

It's an interesting point. I had no trouble at all picking up the XB1 UI (even the one meant for kinect) after also going 360 to PS4 first, but then I had a Win 8 tablet and the general UI stuff was familiar.

6 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Indeed, he's getting lots and lots of help. I did actually glance at YouTube and found many beginners tutorials.

It's an interesting point. I had no trouble at all picking up the XB1 UI (even the one meant for kinect) after also going 360 to PS4 first, but then I had a Win 8 tablet and the general UI stuff was familiar.

Same.... I was using Windows 8 at work when the Xbox One launched so it was pretty much the Metro interface ported over to the Xbox. In fact MS were in a "One interface for everything" mode at that point as Windows Phone also had the Metro interface. Quite liked it really with the live tiles etc. Although navigating with pad was a pain when it was clearly designed with touch screens in mind. So it was never great for console use IMHO.

Not sure what the Xbox interface is like now not had a console since last June time but I expect its pretty much what I see on the Xbox app on the PC. Its much better than it was when the Xbox One first launched for sure.

When you first open the box there’s a cardboard manual/hangar type thing explaining how to turn the console on, how to download the Xbox app, how to put batteries in the controller etc. From there, the app then walks you through setting things up. However,  once you’re dropped into the dash and face a barrage of tiles, apps, icons and menus.........nothing. It’s like they gave up and couldn’t be arsed to make the effort anymore! 

I ended up having to Google how to put the machine into rest mode. Always a great sign you’ve got a quality UI on your hands. Lol. It looked like there were many people in the same boat as myself. Answer - Select settings tile. Select general in left hand menu. Select Power Saving tile. Select Energy Saving tile and change it to Standby. A checkbox then appears saying “turn off Xbox, turn off storage”. De-select that option. Congratulations, you’ve completed it mate. Harder than some games that come out these days. Hahaha. Thing is, at no point does it mention that’s how you download games while the console is off. In fact, pretty sure it mentions nothing about downloads in relation to that. So yeah, the UI is over complicated, unintuitive and inconsistent. With that shite out the way, it was time for some games.......

I was really hoping that the console would impress but at the back of my mind sort of knew it would probably be underwhelming and a disappointment. I was wrong! First game up.......Daytona. Playing this, in high res, on a 65inch screen, at home, whilst sat on the sofa eating Toblerone, in the early hours of the morning, would once have seemed like an unattainable dream. Now it’s reality.......and it’s fucking brilliant! That brilliant, I ended up stopping up all night doing just that. At 4am in the morning, feeling pretty much fucked, it started to seem just like I was clutching a Dreamcast pad. By this point, in my mind, I was playing on the Dreamcast 5. Fuck Sony, fuck Microsoft and fuck Nintendo. Dreamcast 5 is where it’s really at. Translation - this Series S is a bit good. The image quality is way better than I thought it would be. This thing could be a proper corker.

By 5am I really should have gone to bed but Nuts and Bolts had installed. One quick look at it, turned into my jaw hitting the floor. It looks fucking amazing! Sadly still 30fps though, but it really does look incredible and I can always fake 60fps through the TV (turns out it works really well with this). Within no time at all I was flying around Nutty Acres, in my newly designed plane - Royal Bear Force, with a big grin on my face, chuckling at all the bad jokes and reliving happy memories of putting together ludicrous vehicles and contraptions with my little Nephew, back in the day. Man, the 360 was awesome (apart from it breaking everytime you so much as looked at it). Conjuring up memories of the Dreamcast and the 360. Series S is not doing too bad so far then!

Anyway, Forza Horizon 5 is now downloading, so I’ve pencilled in being able to taste a bit of next gen Xbox for early April. Lol. Not that it matters, I’m happy enough playing Daytona and Nuts and Bolts for now and checking out my other old games. Plus can play some PS5 while stuff downloads too.

So yeah, first impressions weren’t exactly great but all in and providing it hasn’t got the build quality of the 360, the S seems like a fantastic machine and an absolute shoe in at £250. 

9 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I don't know what's going on with elite controllers, but the Surface hardware team have done amazing work on all the Xbox hardware since the 360 era.

It certainly feels nice and chunky and sturdy and like a quality bit of kit. Its been kicking out an insane amount of heat though whilst playing Daytona, which seems a bit weird. In comparison, the PS5 doesn’t seem to get anywhere near as hot when playing next gen stuff.

1 minute ago, CrichStand said:

It certainly feels nice and chunky and sturdy and like a quality bit of kit. Its been kicking out an insane amount of heat though whilst playing Daytona, which seems a bit weird. In comparison, the PS5 doesn’t seem to get anywhere near as hot when playing next gen stuff.

PS5 is probably cooking itself inside :)

Guess the series s is a small box and the fan on top so probably more noticable... 

At least it running and you are finally enjoying! :)

13 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Better out than in.

I suppose there is something to be said for thermodynamics, too. A Raspberry Pi will run cooler if you stand it vertically, but I suspect most people have it horizontal.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

PS5 is probably cooking itself inside :)

Guess the series s is a small box and the fan on top so probably more noticable... 

At least it running and you are finally enjoying! :)

Hahaha. It’s behind the TV and I’ve not checked it for a while. It’s could be a giant lump of melted plastic now.

Yeah, loving it. Once you get away from the dash and start gaming on it and marvelling at what it’s doing with stuff like Nuts and Bolts, it’s fantastic. The image quality has really surprised me, it’s looks great, really well defined, clear and vibrant. The pad is good too once you get into a game. Really like how the face buttons feel. Sticks are easy to control, as are the triggers. It’s basically just an updated 360 pad for better or worse. They always made my right hand hurt and feel sore and getting the same with this one. Looking forward to seeing what the next gen stuff is like. Great time to be gaming!

3 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Better out than in.

I suppose there is something to be said for thermodynamics, too. A Raspberry Pi will run cooler if you stand it vertically, but I suspect most people have it horizontal.

PS5 is vertical. Series S is horizontal. Thought it better to leave the big fan/grill where the heat can rise. Will be interesting to see what happens when Forza gets fired up. Might be able to get a brew on. Lol. It does look a bit like a camping stove crossed with a box of tissues. :)

I tell you what, all this talk of annoying xbox things has been the opposite of my recent experience - i mean ive had to update the PS5 pads too but Sony think its 1812 still so i had to find a cable to plug it in to do it, a fucking cable - ive not used one of those on a pad since the gamecube 😂

I will concede that the PS5 UI looks slick and way better than the xbox one - it is of course terrible to use but then Sony have never made a UX thats passable let alone good but the real thing ive noticed is the lack of quick resume, it hadn’t been an issue as ive just been playing Horizon ZD so its suspended fine but tonight I couldn’t be bothered to fire up the xbox to play a Fortnite sesh so used the PS5…. After the sesh not only is the pad dead as it lasts 5 mins but I thought id pickup HZD but no bloody quick resume is there so it had to load :o Quick resume is so good, its one of those doesn’t sound like much but in use is such a great QOL and while I’m aware people have issues with it i generally dont so it hasn’t been soured by that!

@Shimmyhill the UI is absolutely fine to use on the PS5. Not as good as 4 but absolutely fine. The best thing about the Xbox UI is that it actually works now. Last gen was an absolute nightmare, as it seemed to have 64mb of ram allocated and ran like an absolute bag of busted eggs.

It is all personal preference and what they need out of it. Quick resume is never gonna work for me as I cannot switch between games when playing. It's all or nothing. However, if you have normal adult control of your attention I can see it being great. If I put a game down and play another my attention has just disappeared. 

14 hours ago, TehStu said:

I don't know what's going on with elite controllers, but the Surface hardware team have done amazing work on all the Xbox hardware since the 360 era.

Shame the didn't on the actual Surface hardware!

I don't do a lot of online gaming but I'd love to add some people to my friends list. I currently have one friend and he's never online so things feel a bit lonely :lol:. Is there a list of forumites I can add? My gamertag is StumbledSloth50. I will be getting Elden Ring day one and plan to do a lot of jolly co-op!

22 minutes ago, Sane said:

I don't do a lot of online gaming but I'd love to add some people to my friends list. I currently have one friend and he's never online so things feel a bit lonely :lol:. Is there a list of forumites I can add? My gamertag is StumbledSloth50. I will be getting Elden Ring day one and plan to do a lot of jolly co-op!

I’ve just added you. 

I’m also keen to get a few more active people on my friends list - my gamertag is Bushtopher

12 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Quick resume is never gonna work for me as I cannot switch between games when playing. It's all or nothing

Yeah I tend to do this, so quick resume becomes more of a normal "there's one game always sleeping" sort of thing, which even the XB1 does. 

44 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah I tend to do this, so quick resume becomes more of a normal "there's one game always sleeping" sort of thing, which even the XB1 does. 

I guess in that instance the instant launch once finished is nice haha!

Great feature, just not one for me really! 

Same as the PS5 cards, some people love them and seen some interesting ways developers use them. Never ever going to use them personally. 

Would like to see more innovations in these spaces, as even though I am probably set in my ways, the more options the better! 

My Series X, despite being in standby mode, never downloads updates until I turn it on (case in point, Halo Infinite which I play on average every day has just started updating as soon as I turned the machine on).

Downloading stuff via the gamepass app is extremely hit and miss, too often not triggering until I turn the machine on.

It’s set to standby and storage doesn’t sleep whilst the machine is in standby, too. Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My Series X, despite being in standby mode, never downloads updates until I turn it on (case in point, Halo Infinite which I play on average every day has just started updating as soon as I turned the machine on).

Downloading stuff via the gamepass app is extremely hit and miss, too often not triggering until I turn the machine on.

It’s set to standby and storage doesn’t sleep whilst the machine is in standby, too. Any ideas?

Try turning the download feature off and back on. Then do a shutdown and actually unplug it, will reset it properly and might sort the issue.