IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

3 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

You don't seem to be able to QR to an 'in game' position though I don't think I've tried doing that in a fully offline session so it might work then.

It works fine if you are offline. 

Elden Ring’s isn’t very friendly with the way it deals with connection drops. Mine dropped earlier today when I was playing logged in to the ER servers and it just instantly booted me. Did the same the last time my connection dropped.

3 hours ago, carlospie said:

My pad keeps disconnecting from my series X now.. oh oh 

My L2 is on its way out.  As I discovered fighting a certain boss in Elden Ring. 

Only 14 months of daily use 😂

8 hours ago, Mallet said:

This has probably been answered a dozen times but I have googled and I have not been able to find a solid answer. 

How does the Xbox series x handle backwards compatible games from the 360 era. I know some games, such as Oblivion, received special treatment but do all playable 360 games receive resolution boosts or are the majority still 720p?

Am I correct in thinking that all original xbox games play at 4k?

I find this post useful in figuring out what resolution particular Xbox games are in on the enhanced consoles.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-one-x-and-series-x-s-enhanced-games-all-titles-platforms-and-details.24378/

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

It works fine if you are offline. 

Elden Ring’s isn’t very friendly with the way it deals with connection drops. Mine dropped earlier today when I was playing logged in to the ER servers and it just instantly booted me. Did the same the last time my connection dropped.

It even boots you from the game for just going to dolby app to change some settings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Elite 2 controllers are on sale in the Amazon Warehouse at the moment coming in (go for the used one at £84.12 with a 20% discount) at £67.30.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SR4R8K1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2333252771

A few over on HUKD are reporting that when checking on the MS site, they've found the one they bought to still be under MS's warranty and if not then naturally Amazon will still cover you. Either way if you're tempted / on the fence than I'd say it's one hell of a deal and you've got nothing to lose.

286496406_Screenshot2022-04-05145914.thumb.jpg.cf0a55bf7c5c28b96da4badd211921b5.jpg

I've had one since launch and think it's superb, so have treated myself to one for my office Xbox :)

9 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Elite 2 controllers are on sale in the Amazon Warehouse at the moment coming in (go for the used one at £84.12 with a 20% discount) at £67.30.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SR4R8K1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2333252771

A few over on HUKD are reporting that when checking on the MS site, they've found the one they bought to still be under MS's warranty and if not then naturally Amazon will still cover you. Either way if you're tempted / on the fence than I'd say it's one hell of a deal and you've got nothing to lose.

286496406_Screenshot2022-04-05145914.thumb.jpg.cf0a55bf7c5c28b96da4badd211921b5.jpg

I've had one since launch and think it's superb, so have treated myself to one for my office Xbox :).

Awesome, I have an amazon voucher from work and have long wondered about getting an elite controller so great timing!!

I've had the Series X for 10 months now and I've actually played more games since I got it than I even managed to do during lockdown. Living in a house with two teenager boys (who are also into gaming) my gaming time is often dependant on which telly is free to use.

For the most part I've been playing in the man cave in the cellar but I prefer to sit in the living room, better (and bigger) TV and better chairs/sofa. For the most part, moving the Series X around isn't much of an issue but I've noticed that 10 months of moving the console from room to room a few times every week has made the HDMI port on the console a bit loose. 

In fear of making matters worse I've been thinking I should get another Xbox but another Series X seems a bit overkill so it's the Series S I'm curious about. The only thing I find a bit offputting with the Series S is the lack of optical drive, which means I won't be able to play all my games on it. Apart from that, are there any other major differences I should be aware of? I know that it's inferior performance wise but that doesn't bother me at all. Does it get very warm? Just wondering if I could place it anywhere or if it needs a lot of space for cooling. 

Is it noticably slower compared to the Series X, thinking mostly about the OS features (are the menues as quick and snappy) and loading times in games? 

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I've had the Series X for 10 months now and I've actually played more games since I got it than I even managed to do during lockdown. Living in a house with two teenager boys (who are also into gaming) my gaming time is often dependant on which telly is free to use.

For the most part I've been playing in the man cave in the cellar but I prefer to sit in the living room, better (and bigger) TV and better chairs/sofa. For the most part, moving the Series X around isn't much of an issue but I've noticed that 10 months of moving the console from room to room a few times every week has made the HDMI port on the console a bit loose. 

In fear of making matters worse I've been thinking I should get another Xbox but another Series X seems a bit overkill so it's the Series S I'm curious about. The only thing I find a bit offputting with the Series S is the lack of optical drive, which means I won't be able to play all my games on it. Apart from that, are there any other major differences I should be aware of? I know that it's inferior performance wise but that doesn't bother me at all. Does it get very warm? Just wondering if I could place it anywhere or if it needs a lot of space for cooling. 

Is it noticably slower compared to the Series X, thinking mostly about the OS features (are the menues as quick and snappy) and loading times in games? 

Regarding your last point it is exactly as snappy as a Series X in menus and loading times. It has exactly the same CPU and storage as the Series X with the only difference being in the graphics card grunt meaning it typically just renders at a lower resolution (sometimes there are other graphical changes but I'll be honest I've never really noticed any difference between them (although my S is on a slightly smaller screen I sit further from).

I run both and notice no difference between them other than how tiny and silent the Series S is. It's a remarkable machine and I think unfairly probably overlocked by many as not being as good. Most people would probably be much better off with an S due to saving money and space.

6 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I run both and notice no difference between them other than how tiny and silent the Series S is. It's a remarkable machine and I think unfairly probably overlocked by many as not being as good. Most people would probably be much better off with an S due to saving money and space.

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated. 

My main reasoning for getting a Series X over the little brother basically boiled down to the optical drive and the extra storage. Apart from that I still think (or at least hope) that the Series X is a bit more future proof and might be able to shine brigther than the Series S when developers starts to focus on true next gen projects and not cross gen games like we've seen since the new consoles released. 

With that said, though, I think I'm going to end up getting a Series S just because I'm a lazy fuck and would rather have two consoles in a stationary position as opposed to moving one around all the time. Every time I've moved the Series X between floors I've been really nervous about dropping it so it'll be a bonus to stop worrying about that as well. 

7 minutes ago, Rayn said:

With that said, though, I think I'm going to end up getting a Series S just because I'm a lazy fuck and would rather have two consoles in a stationary position as opposed to moving one around all the time. Every time I've moved the Series X between floors I've been really nervous about dropping it so it'll be a bonus to stop worrying about that as well. 

Just saw one on Facebook Marketplace for £130 yesterday. Keep an eye on there for your local area as there might be some bargains to be had.

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I picked up a cheap mint series s off ebay last week to use in spare room with a 27" 1440 monitor and really impressed with it and it compares well with series X in the living room with only real issue being storage.

I presume that your second Xbox would plug into a TV, but if you have the option of a PC there you could also try streaming games via Game Pass Ultimate, without the need of any new tech.

I thought MS had updated the energy saver so that updates and downloads still worked when off but this doesn’t seem to be the case for me. Is this working for anyone else? 

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

I thought MS had updated the energy saver so that updates and downloads still worked when off but this doesn’t seem to be the case for me. Is this working for anyone else? 

it works for me but it's kind of in the background, turn it on and some game has already patched for example.  You'll really only notice it if you know a game has a new patch since you last had the console on. There's nothing to actually tell you it happened otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Downloads you set going, and then power off the machine, do not work. What apparently works is your console phoning home in the wee hours to fetch updates.

@Rayn sounds like you're going the Series S route, and I'll totally fetch one for the bedroom to replace the old XB1 eventually myself no doubt, but you might also consider streaming from the Xbox itself. If the kids are hogging the main TV, and if I don't fancy being anti social or (:() the kids are also hogging the upstairs TV, I often fire up my laptop and stream from the Series X. Still 60fps, obviously less input lag than full blown xCloud streaming. I played an entire Assassin's Creed via streaming from the XB1, it was decent enough even back then. Admittedly, it works way, way better now I've got a mesh router, and that's not just because it makes Wifi better - all my consoles are wired and I think just having more oomph in your router hardware helps with latency-critical streaming.

13 hours ago, Rayn said:

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated. 

My main reasoning for getting a Series X over the little brother basically boiled down to the optical drive and the extra storage. Apart from that I still think (or at least hope) that the Series X is a bit more future proof and might be able to shine brigther than the Series S when developers starts to focus on true next gen projects and not cross gen games like we've seen since the new consoles released. 

I was in the same situation as you and initially went down the Series X plus Series S route. I ended up selling the Series S and just getting another X in the end though. This was partly due to it being a pain if I had a disc game only being able to play in one place, partly due to wanting more storage, but mostly due to buying a better (4K) monitor.

The S is great though and did look good on my desk. 

I’ve an S upstairs (on a 1080p display) and an X downstairs (on a 4K display). Couldn’t be happier with my set up. Honestly think the S is brilliant for its cost/size and looks beautiful. 

The only tiny issue is that the save syncing between the two is generally perfect, but occasionally gets a little confused

(bizarrely, my two PS5s do a better job at cloud saving - which is the first time Sony have done anything internetty to impress me). 

45 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

The only tiny issue is that the save syncing between the two is generally perfect, but occasionally gets a little confused

This is the one issue I have in this setup. I think I've seen it twice now. The first time I lost an hour of Forza Horizon 4 progress. The second was Lego Star Wars yesterday I knew what was going on and picked right.

The most common 'glitch' seems to be returning to an already running game on one that you've played more recently on the other console. If the resuming game manages to get in an auto-save before the system detects there is an updated cloud save available it goes a bit screwy and requires some user care to avoid losing progress.

The system notices the cloud save and requires the game to be restarted. When you do so it tries to sync and notices the local save is different but newer than the cloud one. It cannot know what to do here and the user has to choose between the local save and the cloud save. It shows the date on both but the local one will have today (because it just auto-saved) and you normally want the cloud one (because it was saved from your actual last progress on the other system).

Selecting the wrong one loses your progress in the other. No way to roll back because the selected one becomes the master and is synced to all locations.

I'm more worried probably about a local save not being synced. The result here would be that the other console doesn't know about the other and merrily gets on playing the game with its save as it matches the cloud one. I guess mostly you the user would notice it's not got all your progress but sometimes this is less obvious depending on the game and I'm not sure how it resolves later.