IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Going to pick up a Series S after work today as I'm a bit fed up with moving the Series X around and even more so with my One S which is now so unbearably slow (loading times) that getting a Series S will feel like a massive upgrade to the One S. I kow a lot of people liked the One S but it remains one of my least favourite consoles as it always stuck me as far too underpowered when compared to the PS4. I was very close upgrading it to a One X but in hindsight I'm glad I waited. 
Now I'm actually really excited about getting the wee Series S to replace it. 

Does anyone know if the Developer Mode thing still works? I remember reading something about it getting removed but I also think I read something about them not doing it after all. Would be great to have the option to use the One S as a retro machine using emulators. 

12 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I remember reading something about it getting removed but I also think I read something about them not doing it after all. Would be great to have the option to use the One S as a retro machine using emulators. 

Last thing I heard (on a MVG video) was indeed that they’d not removed it. 

17 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Does anyone know if the Developer Mode thing still works? I remember reading something about it getting removed but I also think I read something about them not doing it after all. Would be great to have the option to use the One S as a retro machine using emulators. 

You don't even need dev mode -

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Going to pick up a Series S after work today as I'm a bit fed up with moving the Series X around and even more so with my One S which is now so unbearably slow (loading times) that getting a Series S will feel like a massive upgrade to the One S. I kow a lot of people liked the One S but it remains one of my least favourite consoles as it always stuck me as far too underpowered when compared to the PS4. I was very close upgrading it to a One X but in hindsight I'm glad I waited. 

Why not just turn the Series S into a retro machine? Then you can retire the One S and have everything in one place.

55 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I bought an S, to sit upstairs in the spare room/WFH room and it's one of the best decisions I made. I have a toddler, so free time not only is rare, but very random spatially and temporarily, and it's absolutely brilliant. Needed a second controller anyway, which is £50 of the cost, and installing retroarch makes it feel worthwhile if it was only a retro mini-console type experience. 

The only negative I would say is that I enjoyed having two xboxes so, very, very much that I ended up getting a second PS5. So it ended being a very, very, very expensive purchase.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why not just turn the Series S into a retro machine? Then you can retire the One S and have everything in one place.

Oh yeah, I misread this - use the Series S - it's power means it emulates really well.

I gave my old Xbox One to my cousins for xmas. Worst console I ever bought. What a turn-a-round.

Add me to the list of ‘not a fan of the Xbox one’ - I bought the original beast One for Halo 5 and didn’t really like it and outside of Titanfall I really didn’t play it as everything multiplat was much better on PS4. I then ‘upgraded’ to the One S and well it was a much nicer machine and pad it was again still very much second to the PS4 - unfortunately it put me off a One X as I had been bitten twice….

The Series X has been amazing, hardware feel solid, silent and super fast - I’m a big fan of the pad and game pass still seems to good to be true! 

Got the Series S up and running last night and I'm very pleased with it, it really does feel like it's head and shoulders above the One S in every way possible, well, perhaps with the exception of being digital only as I'd love to be able to use it with my old X360 library.

It would make more sense, for me, to play 360 games on the Series S as it's hooked up to a 1080p telly, they'd look a bit better on that rather than the main telly in the lounge which is massive (well, 75 inch). If possible I'd rather have the Series X digital only and the disc drive in the Series S as disc games are copied to the HDD anyway.

Enough rambling, I'm really chuffed with it and it will most likely be my main console for indie games and Game Pass games. 

I'm so lazy that I've now got several gaming spots throughout the house. PC and Series S in the mancave, Series X and PS5 in the lounge and finally Switch and PS4 Pro in the bedroom. The latter setup worked out really well for me when I contracted covid and spent a couple of days in bed (mostly as isolation from my family). 

31 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

TechRadar: One of the most annoying Xbox Series X problems has now been solved.

so you’re saying it has a few?

I've got a question for you guys. Now that I've got two active Xboxes set up in our house, but only one active Game Pass Ultimate subscription, would it be possible for one of my kids to play any of the installed game pass games on one xbox while I play on the other? 

2 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I've got a question for you guys. Now that I've got two active Xboxes set up in our house, but only one active Game Pass Ultimate subscription, would it be possible for one of my kids to play any of the installed game pass games on one xbox while I play on the other? 

Yes. Set the kids' Xbox as your "home" Xbox, then anyone who uses that machine can play any of your games which are installed on it.

Meanwhile you log on to the other Xbox and you can also play your games.

You'll need to make sure your profile isn't signed in if they're playing on the Home console while you're playing on the secondary console. You'll get the "you're playing elsewhere..." message if so. I periodically have to tell the kids to sign me out (e.g. their Slime Rancher game is on my profile, they started playing it before they got their own users).

39 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Does the Series S support VRR

Yes

"and support it via HDMI 2.0?" - No.

As its a 2.1 hdmi feature. AFAIK

4 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Does the Series S support VRR and support it via HDMI 2.0?

You can do 120 Hz VRR at 1080p, I believe. 

My monitor has free sync with HDMI 1.4 and I know it supports 120Hz with Series S but can’t remember about VRR specifically. 

My display is a Dell S2721DGF and some subsequent Googling has some people saying it will support VRR despite having HDMI 2.0 ports which has left me pretty confused.

It'd s 1440p display so a Series S is ideal. I guess even if it's *only* got 120Hz support that's pretty good too. I'm still not fully committed to getting an Xbox anyway. Still need to sell my digital PS5 to justify a new console appearing in the office!

I picked up an S for the office, lovely! Only got an old 1080p monitor, but so what! Games work! No Man's Sky lets me fly about!

Seems a pretty cheap deal to me.

Question - are there any other truly cross platform co-op games? No Man's Sky does a good job, is there anything else?

I want to play both on my X at home and on my S from time to time and co-op up with people.

Game are doing the Get a Series S for £99 if you part exchange in a PS4/Xbox One S/Switch offer again.

Time to upgrade the last One S in the house I think

There's a guy local to me selling a series s boxed for £130.

I feel I need to buy it, even just for the spare controller. 

52 minutes ago, Ry said:

There's a guy local to me selling a series s boxed for £130.

I feel I need to buy it, even just for the spare controller. 

I also feel you need to buy it. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Game are doing the Get a Series S for £99 if you part exchange in a PS4/Xbox One S/Switch offer again.

You ****, now I think I need to do this :( 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Have you got a link to this? I can’t find it on their site.

I’ve still got a One X knocking about, so it’d be good to upgrade it for a spare Series S.

41 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I also feel you need to buy it. 

Decided against it. Even though it's a brilliant deal, it's money I do not have or it is better spent elsewhere.