IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

36 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

@mikeyl fingers crossed a bit of good news; MS acknowledged receipt of my dodgy controller earlier today and this afternoon have dispatched a replacement.  A few mins ago I got a text from UPS saying I have a delivery coming tomorrow which I assume is the replacement controller!  All a lot quicker than the advertised 2 week turnaround so fingers crossed.

nice, managed to get a return label after figuring out that they only do call backs on landlines (and I had to plug in my landline). Moaned that all my controllers are busted but they didn’t care. Just gonna play PS5 for a few weeks but it’s dawned on me there’s nothing I want to play on there!

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

nice, managed to get a return label after figuring out that they only do call backs on landlines (and I had to plug in my landline). Moaned that all my controllers are busted but they didn’t care. Just gonna play PS5 for a few weeks but it’s dawned on me there’s nothing I want to play on there!

I did wonder later on if landline might have worked but that did not occur to me at the time.  Mine too is normally unplugged.  "oops something went wrong on our side" is not exactly a helpful message in that context!!

Why is there a global shortage of Xbox controllers?

Literally everywhere I’m looking I can’t find one (MS website has mid June delivery). Is everyone’s RB button breaking down. Might pump for an Elite just because it’s the only thing available.

12 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Literally everywhere I’m looking I can’t find one (MS website has mid June delivery). Is everyone’s RB button breaking down. Might pump for an Elite just because it’s the only thing available.

You can use a PS4 or PS5 controller if you get a USB adapter.

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

You can use a PS4 or PS5 controller if you get a USB adapter.

thanks, that’s actually wild. Didn’t know it could do that.

On 09/05/2022 at 17:31, StumpyJohn said:

@mikeyl fingers crossed a bit of good news; MS acknowledged receipt of my dodgy controller earlier today and this afternoon have dispatched a replacement.  A few mins ago I got a text from UPS saying I have a delivery coming tomorrow which I assume is the replacement controller!  All a lot quicker than the advertised 2 week turnaround so fingers crossed.

And the replacement arrived the next day (Tuesday) and as far as I can tell is brand new with a working RB (for now 😆).  It was just a loose controller with some bubble wrap in a brown box though.

Have registered it and it has warranty cover till the same date as my old broken one (til April next year)

Took from the 4th to the 10th to be completed which is quite a lot better than the estimate.

3 hours ago, mikeyl said:

If it helps, the chip supplier issues are affecting BMW to the extent they're going to ship cars without Android Auto and CarPlay.

16 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

And the replacement arrived the next day (Tuesday) and as far as I can tell is brand new with a working RB (for now 😆).  It was just a loose controller with some bubble wrap in a brown box though.

Have registered it and it has warranty cover till the same date as my old broken one (til April next year)

Took from the 4th to the 10th to be completed which is quite a lot better than the estimate.

ha I’m getting a refund on broken controller 1 from Game as they lost the return and I’m not entirely sure if they interpreted that as refunding the whole Xbox. If it is the whole thing F them. 

Good luck with your new controller, maybe remap Heavy Kick to a face button!

46 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

ha I’m getting a refund on broken controller 1 from Game as they lost the return and I’m not entirely sure if they interpreted that as refunding the whole Xbox. If it is the whole thing F them.

Good luck with your new controller, maybe remap Heavy Kick to a face button!

Absolutely, F Them!

Have moved onto lego star wars so no more elden ring damage to my controllers at least for a while!

6 minutes ago, carlospie said:

My series X is really noisy now. It was previously silent but I guess it's a year and a half old now. 

I've always dreaded this would happen. Have you ever cleaned it? I'm guessing there's a lot of dust gathered inside the console, so a thorough cleaning would probably mean we'll have to take it apart which I'm not very confident in doing myself. 

On 04/05/2022 at 18:04, Colonel Panic said:

Does the Series S support VRR and support it via HDMI 2.0?

On 04/05/2022 at 18:44, 5R7 said:

Yes

"and support it via HDMI 2.0?" - No.

As its a 2.1 hdmi feature. AFAIK

So, I traded in a PS4 Pro and got an Xbox Series S - for Game Pass and a few older Xbox titles and it will let me set 120Hz and toggle VRR on when connected to HDMI, but I'm positive the port is only 2.0! I tried with my PS5 and it said "nope!"

I'm not sure if turning the option on and it actually working will end up being the same thing!

As for the console itself! I really like the smaller form factor, It's always going to be connected to a 1440p display and my PS5 is my "main" console, well, the Switch is...

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

My series X is really noisy now. It was previously silent but I guess it's a year and a half old now. 

Horizontal or vertical? I worry vertical just lets dust settle in the holes.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

The back vents of mine were covered in dust and basically covered up. Took a hoover to it. Saying that it was still basically silent with all that dust

Tell you what, setting up a Series S with an X already in the house is painless bordering on supernatural. Put in a code on the Xbox app, secret network magic happens as the devices talk to each other and everything gets sorted. I had to put in my Wi-Fi password and the one for my son’s Xbox account and that’s it. It even carried forward Epic and EA login info (which considering I have 2FA set up on my Fortnite account feels like it should be a bit worrying but I’m all about the convenience). MS really have done well on the hardware side this cycle. 

Managed to track down the very last Xbox wireless controller in the UK. In the Microsoft Shop in Oxford Circus. Yes! Gotta have one, there’s a fucking UNSC Warthog parked in the window.

Do you have red? No. Blue? No. Black? No, we only have Robot White. White you mean? Ok. 

“Enjoy your gaming!” she enthusiastically bids as I shrink away mortified that she thinks I’m that sort of “gamer”

14 hours ago, Rayn said:

I've always dreaded this would happen. Have you ever cleaned it? I'm guessing there's a lot of dust gathered inside the console, so a thorough cleaning would probably mean we'll have to take it apart which I'm not very confident in doing myself. 

You reminded me to clean my pc, there was a shit load of dust in that!!😂

Always best to clean it out before the warm of summer!

13 hours ago, carlospie said:

Just took my series X apart and dusted it. There wasn't an exceptional amount in there. Il report back! (Taking it apart was very easy)

Incase anyone wondered, it worked! It's much quieter now. Highly recommended and very simple. You only need a 6 star screw driver 

Dust in your Xbox? Try this winged beast!   It has been flying around, I opened the windows and ignored it. Was on a call with work and heard this rattling, thought maybe it was a bit of plastic. Pulled the plug and went back to it after the call and boom! 

6 hours ago, carlospie said:

Incase anyone wondered, it worked! It's much quieter now. Highly recommended and very simple. You only need a 6 star screw driver 

Where do you have your X positioned? Mine is at the top of the TV stand, like to the side of the TV, with a decent gap around it. I've got a very dusty household, lots of pets and I can't open my windows for large portions of the year because Midwest. But it's still silent. 

Wondering if airflow in general dictates how gunked up it gets over time. I'm just N=1 so be good to hear from others. If it's going to happen either way I might whip mine open anyway, given the dusty environment.

I spoke too soon. I used I have it behind my TV with loads of room behind it. Then moved it to the left of my TV stand, both with lots of space around and always in the vertical.

It's still loud, and was previously silent. It seems louder on FIFA which is weird. I remember PS4 pro used to go crazy loud on some games so it could just be FIFA tbh. 

Iv had mine since day one launch but not used it regularly for about four months, however previously hammered it.