Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

I’ve been feeling sorry for myself (signed off work with terrible back / sciatic pain) so I decided to upgrade from my One X to a Series X. Argos do same day delivery so I didn’t need to get changed out of my jammies!

The loading times are so much better, that alone is worth the money 😂

So far I’ve only tried Sekiro, but it runs much smoother and the HDR looks better (I had it turned on with my One X but it didn’t look this vibrant).

Only issue is I’m unable to turn on Dolby Atmos through home theater, which is weird because my One X worked fine with that?! The Series X doesn’t seem to like passing the audio to my soundbar over eArc.

10 hours ago, PikaStu said:

Only issue is I’m unable to turn on Dolby Atmos through home theater, which is weird because my One X worked fine with that?! The Series X doesn’t seem to like passing the audio to my soundbar over eArc.

Have you downloaded the Dolby Atmos app from Microsoft Store? If not you need to do that. It's free to download and use through home theatre but if you want Atmos support for headphones you'll have to pay, I think it's a tenner. 

Yeah I’ve got the Atmos app and pass through enabled. 
If I select TV audio, I can get Atmos, but if I select the soundbar the option disappears.

I could’ve sworn it worked with my OneX, I’ll try it later.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2022 at 09:04, the_debaser said:

Got retroarch working on my series x in retail mode, using ETA primes YouTube guide. Works perfectly. Hopefully MS don’t push a patch through to stop it working. 

Yesterday I took a look at the App store he used in that setup video and it's been updated with a Series console port of PCSX2. Took about ten minutes to get going but it seems to run PS2 games just fine at 1080p. 

Just thought I'd highlight that in here for anyone interested.

At some point I might go as far as actually playing an emulated game and not just setting up emulators for the sake of seeing them work. 

We have enabled a new feature which allows you to specify a different default install location for games, backwards compatible games, and apps. The default for each will be set to the location you had set previously as your default install location for all content. You can also let Xbox decide where to install your games and apps. Setting a default install location to “Let Xbox decide” will cause your Xbox to try to install that content type to best available drive that has enough space. To get started, you can access this by going to Settings> System> Storage Devices> Change Install Locations.

Insiders only, coming to us plebs soon I hope. Excellent idea.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/08/29/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-2209-220825-2200/

Having problems with my Xbox Series X having not used it for a good few months.

Needed a system update as expected and then games such as Flight Sim and Halo Infinite also required sizeable updates so I set those downloading too; now they’re up to date but when I try and run either the screen just goes black and the console turns off - although the Xbox sign on the console and the pad is still illuminated, but there’s no signal to the TV and it requires a hard reset to turn off the console. 

Tried deleting the save file for Flight Sim but it didn’t help. 

Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? 

1 hour ago, The Disco said:

It's not anything to do with both games now putting the console into full fat 4K@120Hz, Full RGB 10Bit colour 48GBPs HDMI 2.1 mode is it?  And your telly not being 48GBPS HDMI 2.1 capable?

Yeah I should have said earlier, but that’s what it was - not my telly though, the HDMI lead. It’s in the bloody wall though so I’ll have to try and swap it over for the right one :doh:

I've got a Series S at home with GamePass Ultimate and discovered wandering around my half-populated work building that there's a games rooms with a PS4 slim and Series S (with no accounts set up on it).

Is it easy for me to add my account to the machine and do a little cloud gaming without making it possible for others to sign into my account later? I' have set up password, MFA and passcode on my XBox account but obviously at home, I just want it to go straight into the dashboard.

14 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I've got a Series S at home with GamePass Ultimate and discovered wandering around my half-populated work building that there's a games rooms with a PS4 slim and Series S (with no accounts set up on it).

Is it easy for me to add my account to the machine and do a little cloud gaming without making it possible for others to sign into my account later? I' have set up password, MFA and passcode on my XBox account but obviously at home, I just want it to go straight into the dashboard.

That shouldn't give you any issues as long as you don't check the option to set the office console as your main unit.

6 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Setup a passcode, i think thats device specific 

Thanks folks!

Time for another question... From the GamePass app, I queued TinyKin to install, but it didn't start downloading until I turned my Series S on a few mins ago to play it.

I can turn the console on fine from the Xbox app and remote play works, so what gives there?

EDIT:

From the Xbox app, if I go to the games I own I can install those remotely and the download starts almost instantly.

I love the weight and feel (and paddles) of the Elite 2 but those things have shockingly bad build quality. The left bumper on mine stopped working about a week after it went out of warranty, and it seems to be a very common problem. I'd advise anyone to think carefully before buying one.

If they reduced this by the £30 Sony put theirs up by, I think I’d buy one. I’d find the money.

It isn’t going to happen though is it? I read here they have stated they don’t think the price of the Series X can be reduced and that is why the S exists. I’m not getting HUGE benefits over my One X with one of those, am I?

19 minutes ago, DC said:

I’m not getting HUGE benefits over my One X with one of those, am I?

Depends on your definition of huge. Once you've gotten used to the benefits of SSD it's hard to accept the old HDD load times. Other than that I'd say it's only marginally better than the One X. 

Edit: I forgot to mention the Series S has a minor drawback compared to the One X and that's storage space. The Series S only comes with 500gb with about 380gb available to use. The SSD plugin cards are great but very expensive. I think a Series S with the 500gb card will set you back almost as much as a Series X and the latter has the benefit of an optical drive and a much better GPU. What I'm trying to say is that if you like to have a lot of games installed, it might be worth considering saving up for a Series X instead. 

4 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Depends on your definition of huge. Once you've gotten used to the benefits of SSD it's hard to accept the old HDD load times. Other than that I'd say it's only marginally better than the One X. 

Depends what you're playing really. Older games and Xbox 360 titles still tend to be better on the One X. Newer games and those that have received an S/X upgrade tend to be better on the Series S. Increasingly for newer titles the One X runs at 30fps while the Series S targets 60 (albeit at a lower res).

The loading times alone make it worthwhile though.

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI lead for Series X that’s longer than the one you get it in the box please? My TV is wall mounted and it’s not long enough now. 2M should do it. 

For future proofing, a high speed one should do the trick: 
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/vivanco-premium-series-42207-ultra-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-2-m-10225651.html

If you don't need the bandwidth you can get one for less than half the price. 

2 minutes ago, bear said:

I'll get shouted at for this but I've most of my stuff connected up with the Amazon basics 2.1 stuff and have had no issues at all. 

No reason to be shouted at, anything labeled HDMI 2.1 should cover everything you'd need unless you're working with really high tech stuff. 

1 hour ago, SMD said:

you get huge CPU benefits plus the SSD with the S. If you don't have a 4K TV the gap narrows even more.

I have a LG B7, which I think has the right HDMI to get the most out of the new consoles?