Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

I’ve recently relocated to the UK for work. My belongings look like they won’t arrive until the new year, including my series X. 

I was thinking of picking up a series s in the meantime. Would I notice the difference between the two? I know most games seem to have a 60 fps option on the series s. Mainly be playing the following 

Sekiro 

Skyrim 

Cyberpunk 

Rare replay (for goldeneye)

Valhalla 

Forza Horizon 

Anyone get select games that seem to make the fan on the Series X loud?

I started Deathloop last night to be greeted to this. Last time it happened was Avengers last year. most if not all games I play don't seem to do this, its usually whisper quiet.

What causes it? Why would one game make the console go into takeoff mode (I understand games with some graphical oomph will push the machine a bit but I've played plenty more visually taxing games with no issue)?

Anyway, playing with headphones for this from now on, it reminds me of the PS4!! 

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

I’ve recently relocated to the UK for work. My belongings look like they won’t arrive until the new year, including my series X. 

I was thinking of picking up a series s in the meantime. Would I notice the difference between the two? I know most games seem to have a 60 fps option on the series s. Mainly be playing the following 

Sekiro 

Skyrim 

Cyberpunk 

Valhalla 

Forza Horizon 

With that lot the thing you will notice most is the smaller SSD unfortunately!

On 23/09/2022 at 07:36, Garwoofoo said:

I'm one of the weirdos that really likes the startup sound. My subwoofer sometimes doesn't connect on startup, so the deafening BWARRRPP from the Xbox when it turns on is a great way of checking whether it's all working or not.

I got quite disappointed when they shortened it recently. They definitely need the option to make it longer again, and maybe add some bagpipes.

I think it should do this whole scene on startup.

16 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I really like my Series S and have zero desire to get a Series X, personally. 

Had this exact conversation with our director of IT yesterday. I've been all digital since the Bone, don't have anything 4k and think the S looks better. While I accept that the X is more powerful and flexible, I couldn't justify the extra cost for one.

Love my S. This is the first generation that I've adopted relatively early and exclusively played current gen since the PS1. Helped a lot by Game Pass, it has to be said.

I’ve got mine in the office connected to a 1440p display With VRR and all that so it and GamePass is ideal. 

The console didn’t even really cost me that much since I traded a PS4 for it and did the usual trick for GP!

My “main” console in the living room is a PS5 (really it’s the Switch), but I’m getting so much mileage out of the Series S!

52 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah maybe in a year or two the Series S will start to feel like a compromise, but right now there doesn’t seem to be anything that’s putting the Series X through it’s paces anyway.

I often read this but having had a Series X and S sat next to each other on separate tellies and running the same games its a big jump between them - even stuff like Fortnite (the reason we had them both setup, duos in the same room was great) is night and day better on the Series X as was FH5, Halo and anything we tried.

I think the S is awesome, the X is better in every way tho.

8 hours ago, Fargo said:

Sekiro 

Skyrim 

Cyberpunk 

Valhalla 

Forza Horizon 

Off hand…

Yes 

No

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Depending on your TV of course. You won’t hit 60 on sekiro. I think the others will all hit 60 but at the expense of resolution and general fidelity across the board.

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I often read this but having had a Series X and S sat next to each other on separate tellies and running the same games its a big jump between them - even stuff like Fortnite (the reason we had them both setup, duos in the same room was great) is night and day better on the Series X as was FH5, Halo and anything we tried.

I’d always thought the idea of the Series S was as a 1080p version of the Series X but digital foundry seems to suggest that there are a lot more caveats than resolution.

YMMV but when you factor in the 500gb HD it doesn’t seem like a great bargain to me once you factor everything in.

33 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Oh yeah no doubt there’s a difference, especially in that context. I’m talking more like unimpressed DF videos starting to emerge or a situation like the Switch nowadays where you have to Google every multi platform release to make sure it doesn’t run like a dog. Few years away from that I reckon but it’s surely coming at some point. 

20 minutes ago, Strafe said:

YMMV but when you factor in the 500gb HD it doesn’t seem like a great bargain to me once you factor everything in.

I think the complete opposite. A Series S loaded up with a few years of the cheap Game Pass deal is probably the greatest bargain I've ever seen in gaming history outside of piracy. Especially now, when you can pick them up second hand for £150-£180.

Everything else in the world is going mental in price. So many people are struggling with extra cash for entertainment atm. Its perfect if you want a crazy bargain.

In that frame yeah, it’s a bargain. I just don’t think it’s as good a deal when you compare it to the series X.

But then again I speak as someone who values the extra performance so I might be an outlier compared to the mass market.

The trick with the S, is that the moment a Series X owner ponders getting a new controller (£60), or an expansion card (£200) for their X, they need to knock that shite on the head.

Instead get a Series S and save yourself a tenner (at RRP, a hundred second hand). Set it up in your WFH office, or Bedroom. Use it as a RetroArch machine. Chuck it in your suitcase on a trip. Put in your front dungaree pocket. 

I've never needed something less, which I've enjoyed more. If that makes sense. 

They're very smart with the pricing, it's a bargain, until you think about storage where the price increase to the x is more or less wiped out if you buy the ssd storage card.

Very easy upsell. Both systems are excellent value.

I think many here have them as their primary Xbox, and apart from a higher resolution and more storage you get most everything else, so I can see why. I do love the Series X though, especially all the backwards compatibility enhancements. 

We bought a Series S for daughters birthday but I have been sneaking in plays of stuff on my account and seriously thinking of getting a third one for the spare room, great little machine!

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Totally getting one as my bedroom machine at some point, so you don't have to hear me talk about XB1 stuff any more. Lots of use cases as a primary machine, but it's a no brainer for a second.

I get that but if you’re casual enough to want an S, then rotating through 2 big games and half a dozen small, is absolutely fine. 

It’ll only be an issue if COD can’t fit on it. But if MS buy activision I think they’ll ensure it does. 

Absolutely. My only complaint is that I want another category when viewing all my games: X|S stuff that's on usb storage. It's fine having the left right icon, but showing them among my "optimized for X|S" stuff, which includes everything, can be hard to parse.

I'd submit that to the feedback thing if I had a sec.