Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

18 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

The trick with the S, is that the moment a Series X owner ponders getting a new controller (£60), or an expansion card (£200) for their X, they need to knock that shite on the head.

Instead get a Series S and save yourself a tenner (at RRP, a hundred second hand). Set it up in your WFH office, or Bedroom. Use it as a RetroArch machine. Chuck it in your suitcase on a trip. Put in your front dungaree pocket. 

I've never needed something less, which I've enjoyed more. If that makes sense. 

This. 

I got the Series S after reading some good posts in this thread and never regretted forking out for it. I even bought an SSD expansion card as the 380gb available storage space was just a tad too limited but now with the extra 1tb installed it's my most used console as the Series X is hooked up to the main telly and set as my main console which means both my kids and my wife can use it without me having to be logged in. 

With game pass it's great to be able to play online multiplayer with family members through one sub and cloud saves works more or less flawlessly. 

Whenever I'm out travelling for work I usually bring my Series S with me, it doesn't take up a lot of room in my luggage and I save loads of money by staying in the hotel room playing games as opposed to killing time in a pub which I pretty much used to do. 

12 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I get that but if you’re casual enough to want an S, then rotating through 2 big games and half a dozen small, is absolutely fine. 

It’ll only be an issue if COD can’t fit on it. But if MS buy activision I think they’ll ensure it does. 

I'd argue it's the casual gamers who have the most trouble with disk space. People playing bloated repetitive AAA titles rather than anything interesting.

I finally spent the time at the weekend to properly set up the HDR on my Samsung TV, films were always amazing looking with film maker mode but the HDR in game mode had a tendency to sear my eyeballs at times. Any way I followed Vincent's recommendations in the HDTV test videos and lord above it's amazing.

I downloaded Assassin's Creed Origins, and it was genuinely jaw on the floor type experience both in the starting area and then coming out into the desert. I had tried it on PC but the dynamic 4k with great HDR simply lifts the visuals onto a different level. I also installed Immortals Fenyx rising and it looks absolutely incredible as well.

Well done HDR is a real game changer, isn't it?

I bought one of the new Series 2 Core controllers to replace my old Series 2 where the left bumper had stopped working.

The actual controller is exactly the same so I was able to immediately attach the paddles and sticks from my previous controller and it works with the charging dock as well. The price on the Cores is pretty good and they are nice hefty controllers but it's the addition of the paddles that really elevates them to the next level, so whether they are worth it without the extra components you get with the full kit is debatable.

I know MS have promised improved build quality on this new wave but until someone does a teardown of the newer batch there's no way of telling whether the issue with the bumpers will reoccur on these. I suspect they are probably exactly the same internally but who knows. Either way I am going to be careful with this one and use the paddles in preference to the bumpers for any prolonged use (I'm 99% sure it was several hundred hours of Hitman 3 using LB for "run" that killed my old one).

Regarding Series S v Series X, I have both so I have experience with both of the machines. 

When I bought the Series S I was still using a 1080p Panasonic Plasma as my main TV. The S is a great pairing for that TV, you get 60fps in most games and it doesn't matter so much missing out on Xbox one x enhancements if you are playing at 1080p. Besides while the enhanced games are brilliant there are a lot more backwards compatible games that never received any enhanced patch and they will run the same on both machines.

In fact I might set the Series S and the plasma TV back up together for the older games. For example I bought Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey last night and I feel they will be a good fit. Although I do lose HDR. 

On a 4k TV I noticed the difference straight away, the game I tried first was Tunic and it was instantly and appreciably sharper on the Series X. 

I think it is brilliant the Series S exists, it is a fantastic low cost way to experience the new generation. It's amazing value for money imo. However, and this may sound counter intuitive, but I believe that the Series X is even better value for your money if you have a 4K TV. Perhaps it is because I am primarily a PC gamer but getting dynamic 4k along with the larger SSD all for under £450 is amazing to me. 

3 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Regarding Series S v Series X, I have both so I have experience with both of the machines. 

When I bought the Series S I was still using a 1080p Panasonic Plasma as my main TV. The S is a great pairing for that TV, you get 60fps in most games and it doesn't matter so much missing out on Xbox one x enhancements if you are playing at 1080p. Besides while the enhanced games are brilliant there are a lot more backwards compatible games that never received any enhanced patch and they will run the same on both machines.

In fact I might set the Series S and the plasma TV back up together for the older games. For example I bought Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey last night and I feel they will be a good fit. Although I do lose HDR. 

On a 4k TV I noticed the difference straight away, the game I tried first was Tunic and it was instantly and appreciably sharper on the Series X. 

I think it is brilliant the Series S exists, it is a fantastic low cost way to experience the new generation. It's amazing value for money imo. However, and this may sound counter intuitive, but I believe that the Series X is even better value for your money if you have a 4K TV. Perhaps it is because I am primarily a PC gamer but getting dynamic 4k along with the larger SSD all for under £450 is amazing to me. 

Thats a fair point, when I had them side by side they were both on 4k TV’s so likely made the difference stand out more.

It's the perfect pair to that 1080p TV that's been moved to another room to make way for a 4K OLED in the living room.

Now 4K OLED... that's the most significant, biggest gaming upgrade money can buy - to the extent that posts about it have become tedious. But it's still true.

4K OLED + Series S >>>>  an older TV + Series X.

5 hours ago, Mallet said:

I finally spent the time at the weekend to properly set up the HDR on my Samsung TV, films were always amazing looking with film maker mode but the HDR in game mode had a tendency to sear my eyeballs at times. Any way I followed Vincent's recommendations in the HDTV test videos and lord above it's amazing.

I downloaded Assassin's Creed Origins, and it was genuinely jaw on the floor type experience both in the starting area and then coming out into the desert. I had tried it on PC but the dynamic 4k with great HDR simply lifts the visuals onto a different level. I also installed Immortals Fenyx rising and it looks absolutely incredible as well.

Well done HDR is a real game changer, isn't it?

Got a link to the videos? I struggle to see any benefit of HDR and assumed my tv is too shit.

My 4k TV cheats with dimming zones. Poor man's OLED, :lol:

Not going to lie, the bedroom TV the Series S would go on is the 1080p set I bought for Mass Effect 2 on the 360, having finally got utterly tired of the small text in games. This thing has straddled 3 gens now, and keeps going. I should be happy but I want an excuse to have a reasonably sized 4k set in the bedroom. You know, for another X. And all this still end up being cheaper than PC gaming, heh.

Bloody LG and their long lasting components.

4 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Got a link to the videos? I struggle to see any benefit of HDR and assumed my tv is too shit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Dolby Vision takes care of the TV's HDR settings Like, specifically for your TV, such that the content looks like it's supposed to. So when coming out of caves in AC Odyssey, I'd routinely end up squinting because it was able to replicate that effect of your eyes adjusting to the brightness. Impressive stuff. And, as mentioned, that's not even on an OLED or even expensive (at the time) set.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

My 4k TV cheats with dimming zones. Poor man's OLED, :lol:

Not going to lie, the bedroom TV the Series S would go on is the 1080p set I bought for Mass Effect 2 on the 360, having finally got utterly tired of the small text in games. This thing has straddled 3 gens now, and keeps going. I should be happy but I want an excuse to have a reasonably sized 4k set in the bedroom. You know, for another X. And all this still end up being cheaper than PC gaming, heh.

Bloody LG and their long lasting components.

Yeah, my Series S is powering a 1080p LED I bought for my 360 back in 2009. Works fine. It's a great comparise to keep around as is has HDMI, and Scart, so it can run my retro stuff. 

What's really criminal is that I have a PS5 hooked up to it too...

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

It’s doesn’t have to be an OLED, any half decent 4K HDR set is a noticeable improvement. 

It needs to be a higher end LCD to get anywhere near a OLED - I have a mid range LG 4k HDR LCD and its not a patch - YouTube videos of GT7 on my OLED look better than me playing GT7 on the LCD 🤨 HDR on it is not really that noticeable as if you give it lots of brightness to up the nits you wash out the colours / black level :( 

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

It needs to be a higher end LCD to get anywhere near a OLED - I have a mid range LG 4k HDR LCD and its not a patch - YouTube videos of GT7 on my OLED look better than me playing GT7 on the LCD 🤨 HDR on it is not really that noticeable as if you give it lots of brightness to up the nits you wash out the colours / black level :( 

It’s true the OLED blew me away when I got it, and continues to do so tbh, but if you’re coming from a standard 1080p HD set you’ll see a big improvement too IMO, even just in resolution and performance, and the HDR is noticeable, but you’re right it doesn’t pop quite like on an OLED. 

26 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Did MS every officially announce we were going to be able to play purchased games over the cloud or was that just a rumour that has yet to materialise?

I didn’t even know there was a rumour, but I’d imagine they wouldn’t want to do this given that their main drive is recurring Game Pass subs. I suppose it could be part of that service, but imagine buying a game at full price and then being told in order to play it you’ll also need to pay £10.99 per month. Sounds a bit like another ‘popular ‘ streaming service :unsure:

37 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Did MS every officially announce we were going to be able to play purchased games over the cloud or was that just a rumour that has yet to materialise?

It was in part of their not-E3 press briefing that Game Pass Ultimate users will be able to play "a selection" of their purchased games through cloud gaming later this year. No specifics. 

On 25/09/2022 at 15:03, deerokus said:

They're very smart with the pricing, it's a bargain, until you think about storage where the price increase to the x is more or less wiped out if you buy the ssd storage card.

Very easy upsell. Both systems are excellent value.

Thing is though with cloud gaming I've not needed to worry about getting an expansion disk yet. Like a game on gamepass?  Try it out via cloud for a few days. If you still REALLY like it, install it locally if you think it'll make a difference (hint, it doesn't for many many games)

I'll agree it is one of the best bargains in gaming at the moment.  And having retroarch on it is also so much fun. 

14 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Should i get a jazzy HDMI 2.1 Super Monitor for it  or just a Telly?

For 1440p @ 120hz you could get a HDMI 2.0 rather than 2.1 monitor if that helps with options and/or cost?

For reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/xbox-series-s-2k-at-120hz-with-hdmi-20/97e67590-0fbd-46f8-a402-d18f2e80ffd6

(I also have a HDMI 2.0 monitor and it works great)

Thank you

There is this reply in the thread you quoted -  and i think its the problem i am having!

" Sad news, hooked up the series s to a 1440p 144hz monitor that has HDMI 2.0 and sadly its only 1080p at 120hz or 1440p at 60hz.

You'll need a monitor/tv that has an HDMI 2.1 port to be able to have that 1440p at 120hz. Bummer,

HDMI 2.0 supports those rates but its locked in the console itself.. Hope this helps!  "