Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020. Demo on the eShop now!

Parts of it certainly are, i.e. getting heart containers and so on, which you used to get by completing a map piece. 

There are also certain missions which are very similar to the old ones, i.e. kill 300 baddies in 5 minutes. These are integrated into the main map as well. 

Ah, and one more thing: the parts where you play one of the 4 big creatures are shite - totally unnecessary and useless. It's basically "move forward and shoot continuously" for 2 minutes.

This is great, but I will warn people that the frame rate feels like around the 20 mark and the detail pop up/in can be a bit distracting at times. bizarrely it’s stuff that isn’t that important - like stones on the ground or marks on boxes - which probably could have been dropped without any impact on the game. In saying that, it does look a lot better than the first hyrule warriors and it’s really nice to be back in the breath of the wild world again.  Despite those points about the graphics, it looks really impressive. 

In a way the Warriors style works as a BotW prequel, there are a lot more enemies around making it less stark and more vibrant, which is sort of what you’d expect from a game set 100 years before BotW. Highly recommended and my son absolutely loves it. 

Realise this is going to be something that should be obvious but is this the prequel to breath of the wild, so same world etc?

Is the map size the same? I've caught nothing about this but if it's the same gameplay but a prequel then I'm buying this immediately without a second thought!

23 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Realise this is going to be something that should be obvious but is this the prequel to breath of the wild, so same world etc?

Is the map size the same? I've caught nothing about this but if it's the same gameplay but a prequel then I'm buying this immediately without a second thought!

Sort of prequel OR IS IT yes, but totally different game to BOTW. It’s musou, not action adventure.

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

Sort of prequel OR IS IT yes, but totally different game to BOTW. It’s musou, not action adventure.

Had to look that up to see what it was!

Please tell me there was like an actual sequel / continuation of botw announced recently and I didn't imagine it?

Not that I misheard and I've been ignoring spoilers / info for nothing :lol:

53 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Download the demo!

Still can't get the hang of Zelda's combat & Impa seems ridiculously overpowered, but Mipha is great fun once i realized how the fountains she creates factor into her combat.  Let's hope the other Champions are similarly well thought out.

The Divine beast section though... very slow & limited in what you can actually do but nice as both spectacle & a change of pace, which I guess is the point.

Still eagerly devouring the story, which i hope i can get through before an Internet Meme inevitably spoils it.  Might have to stay off my Social Media feeds for a while to avoid that.

I knew there was a reason I stopped using ShopTo. Apparently it will be here from RM within the hour, but I just noticed that the post has already been delivered today, and that was just a letter for whoever lived here before me. The RM tracking is singularly useless, telling me nothing beyond the package arriving at a mail centre at 2am.

Guess I get it on Monday. -_-

2 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I knew there was a reason I stopped using ShopTo. Apparently it will be here from RM within the hour, but I just noticed that the post has already been delivered today, and that was just a letter for whoever lived here before me. The RM tracking is singularly useless, telling me nothing beyond the package arriving at a mail centre at 2am.

Guess I get it on Monday. -_-

Same here, yesterday it hadn't even been received by RM based on the tracking. 

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

My son has absolutely loved the demo of this - is the first Hyrule Warriors as good/better? I presume I'd be able to pick that one up slightly cheaper...

The concept is similar (fight against hordes of enemies), the presentation is quite different from what I've seen so far. 

The original is brilliant. (At least I hope it is, having put more than 300 hours into it... (null) )

@Dig Dug to be honest. I think the frame rate has been fine. I've been watching my son all weekend and not really noticed any huge dips. Nothing looks as rough as that bit in Korok forest in botw anyway. If anything I've been amazed at the amount of things going on all at once and the frame rate not chugging. 

I'm enjoying the story too and glad that I'm getting to know more about the calamity's arrival, seeing hyrule as it was.  Neither me nor my son have played any mosou type games before but I think this one really is enhanced by using the botw story, world and art style. It's just so fully formed and really pulls you in. 

2 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Hoping they can at least get the FPS to lock at 30 in updates. The stuff I’ve heard about performance has been off putting.

Is does the same “slowdown on purpose” thing other Zelda games (and the original) does, but frame rate issues? Nope.

Spent nearly 5 hours on this today. Loving it. The frame rate isnt a deal breaker for me at all , it's just a really fun game.

Well the game glitched out on the first mission ( a guardian got stuck) which I had to repeat.

The Devine beasts sections are mediocre at best. That's the only time I've died in the game due to the wonky feedback.

Hopefully get back to it tomorrow.