IGNORED

Steam Controller

MattyP

Apparently you started the previous topic too:

Only 2015 when it was announced apparently? More short lived than I realised.

I do use a Xbone controller for most things but it does have its uses. Touch-activated gyro aiming is brilliant, and I think it's such a shame that the new consoles aren't set up for that. For a game where you need precise aiming, but that would probably be awkward to play with a keyboard (most third person games imo, particularly ones where any driving is involved) it's ideal. Will break it out again for Cyberpunk I imagine. It's also really good for games that are slower paced but still need precision - I find a lot of puzzle games fit into this category. The Witness and The Talos Principle for instance. They're games to chill out to, I don't want to play them at a desk.

It definitely wasn't perfect though. Rechargeable batteries that are a little bigger than spec can be a huge pain to remove. Build quality in general left a lot to be desired. Ergonomically it's fine, but doesn't melt away in your hands like the Xbone controller. The touchpads take too much force to press. Also a lot of their appeal was the configurability, which you can get with most popular controllers in the Steam Overlay these days anyway. Of course the paddles, the left touchpad and touch activated modes add a lot of flexibility that can't be achieved through said configuration with any other controller though. I really do wish something else would take its place, as a PC-focused controller option. Valve are likely focused on VR now, but I think a V2 could find a place in the market as a high end option - kind of like an equivalent to the Xbox "elite" controller.

Yes I did originally post about it! :) I was really enthusiastic about it and tried to like it but the lure of the 360 was always to great and kept going back to that rather than retrain my muscle memory!

Just got the XBox one controller working over Bluetooth on the PC so I expect it won't get used again. I will give it another try and then put it onto the to go pile if it doesn't work out. 

A fantastic relic from a recent bygone time... It was fascinating seeing Valve making big moves. The controller, Steam Machines, Steam OS, and Steam Link were all part of it. And while every single thing worked, it wasn't that useful or exciting in practice and nothing really panned out. Steam Machines quickly disappeared, Steam Link became an android app, no idea whether Steam OS is still a thing, and the steam controllers were shelved with only their configurability within Steam left for every other controller. They could have been making Half Life 3 but instead tried to reach for the stars because GabeN was worried about Windows 10 and its store. What a time :)

It definitely felt cheap with horrible, clicky buttons but I got a lot of use out of mine. 

The gyro was much better than the one in the pro controller and stuff like mode switching and overlays gave you loads of options. I'd still use mine if I hadn't switched to consoles a couple of years ago. 

Worst to least-worst problems with it:

The trackpads were interesting to have on a pad and ok for mouse-y stuff, but they were bad if you needed a d-pad and diabolical if you needed a reliable camera stick, which made it unusable for any third-person game where you'd normally be "steering" or otherwise making small adjustments by easing the right stick out from the centre.

The too-small buttons were also too close to the right trackpad, which you'd keep brushing when trying to press Y or B with anything flatter than the very tip of your thumb.

The shoulder buttons just felt like they were in the wrong place when you were using the stick and buttons, possibly because of the big chunky corners required to house the track pads.

I have one here. Had planned to invest some time with it due to mainly gaming on PC. I needed a reason to move from my preferred controller, an Xbox One  pad mind and would google best games to use with the pad. All the results talked about the same few games and so I tried to give it a go with stuff like Disco Elysium and Divinity 2 but they needed extra work to get up and running via some sort of settings if I remember. It seemed too much of a hassle for the couple of games it was supposed to be decent with for me and I gave up and went with an Elite 2 pad. 

Don't regret abandoning it tbh, although I'd always be game to give it another try if some awesome title came out and was definitively better with the Steam pad.

They seem to have rose in price on Ebay since I last checked too.

I love my Steam controller and it's my main go to controller.  So many options and downloadable community profiles is a brilliant idea.  Also other mainline console controllers are also supported within the Steam client controller configuration screen.  I'm hoping Valve release a version 2.  I bought a spare when they where going cheap.  If Xbox controllers had a gyro function I'd go with them as I used a 360 pad for years before the Steam controller and it took time to get used to the differences.

I believe the P5 controller has gyro so may be interested in giving that a try down the line on my Pc.

8 hours ago, simms said:

I love my Steam controller and it's my main go to controller.  So many options and downloadable community profiles is a brilliant idea.  Also other mainline console controllers are also supported within the Steam client controller configuration screen.  I'm hoping Valve release a version 2.  I bought a spare when they where going cheap.  If Xbox controllers had a gyro function I'd go with them as I used a 360 pad for years before the Steam controller and it took time to get used to the differences.

I believe the P5 controller has gyro so may be interested in giving that a try down the line on my Pc.

See that's the part I never actually get into. I'd heard it was great with the games mentioned in my above post but when I went to use it with them there was obviously several more steps to get both the game and controller to jive.

What do you do, is it just a setting file or something that you download from Steam, with someone's settings applied to the controller. Are there many profiles made by users with the best voted for, for easily choosing which is probably the best/most popular setup. Or are they from the devs themselves. And does this all only work if you are playing the game via Steam, or does it work with any other launcher.

I really like the idea of using traditionally mouse and keyboard controlled games on a pad with touch abilities, I game on the couch and haven't bothered with a lapboard so game exclusively on a pad. Really would love to give the Steam controller a fair shake, even though I'm very happy with an Xbox One pad overall, it's definitely not the best way to control certain types of game.The Steam controller might do a better job at those games and it does feel nice in the hands, plus the poor bastard just sits on my shelf unloved to the max.

*EDIT- Think I may just put this on Ebay. After posting the above it got me thinking about the games in my library that just don't work with a pad and instead of compromising with the Steam controller I've done something I should have done a couple of years ago and bought a decent lapboard setup. Guess I'll never get around to figuring out profiles now.

There's dev profiles sometimes, though the best way is to check the user profiles and go for one of the top rated ones. For most popular games there'll be something available. Some are VERY smart. I've got one for X-Wing that maps all the various things to a lovely on-screen menu, activated by one of the pads.

5 hours ago, amc said:

See that's the part I never actually get into. I'd heard it was great with the games mentioned in my above post but when I went to use it with them there was obviously several more steps to get both the game and controller to jive.

What do you do, is it just a setting file or something that you download from Steam, with someone's settings applied to the controller. Are there many profiles made by users with the best voted for, for easily choosing which is probably the best/most popular setup. Or are they from the devs themselves. And does this all only work if you are playing the game via Steam, or does it work with any other launcher.

Make sure the Steam controller is switched on then, go to the game in your Steam library ->Controller configuration -> Browse configs -> Community -> Select the profile you want then Apply configuration, the good thing is that you can then make small changes to your liking to that config.  That's what I usually do.  More than likely there will be a community configuration that has done most of the work for you then you can make changes or no further changes as you see fit.  I've been out of the console game for a while but do MS or Sony offer a similar functionality?

Some games offer Official/Developer configs.  No mans sky has one off the top of my head but it was a bit borked last time I tried it.  The Steam controller is not perfect but in principle I love what there were trying to achieve.  Its a shame if Valve do not build on that.