IGNORED

KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo / Pocky & Rocky Reshrined

Klatrymadon

2 hours ago, spatular said:

^ thanks! i'll give it a try going a bit slower, i probably was trying to rush through.

the fire enemies on stage 2 is the only way to kill them using the bomb?

The Fire enemies can only be killed using your deflect. Just go near them and start mashing that. There’s a few enemies that require the deflect to kill in the game (the ghosts on stage 3 are another)

As @BadgerFarmer has mentioned deflecting is pretty important too. Most enemy bullets can be deflected and is a better option than losing positioning by trying to dodge out of the way of stuff. The classic example of this is the first boss where he spits peas at you. These can all be deflected back just by mashing the button.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I didn't manage to get through level 2 on a single credit when I played it though. If there's a reliable way of picking up extra lives, I haven't found it.

I personally think stage 2 is a bit of a spike. It has 4 mid bosses, a hard as nails final boss and those freakin annoying tengu crows that fly around you. I thought stage 3 was a cake walk in comparison.

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Also, the power ups are colour coded so try and just pick up one type only so it doesn't reset (cards, wind, fire)

yeah that's a good point, need to work out what the pickups do so know when to pickup or not. 

12 minutes ago, Goemon said:

The Fire enemies can only be killed using your deflect. Just go near them and start mashing that. There’s a few enemies that require the deflect to kill in the game (the ghosts on stage 3 are another)

cheers! i worked that out for the ghosts but didn't try it on the fire, doh!

16 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I personally think stage 2 is a bit of a spike. It has 4 mid bosses, a hard as nails final boss and those freakin annoying tengu crows that fly around you. I thought stage 3 was a cake walk in comparison.

Yeah, it's a lot to get through without taking much damage. And the run up to the boss can easily drain a life. It definitely goes down a gear once you get the additional powers.

The old mentality was blue was a wider shot but weaker and the orange was powerful but very narrow.

Now they’ve thrown in a new green for this game, which I considered a half way house between blue and orange but I’m not 100%.

There’s also the variation on the different characters which I think adds another choice. For example I consider Rocky’s spread shot to be pretty lame (actually his green is naff as well!) so will always try and get orange when I use him. 

If you get to a boss and you have a choice I would personally always choose orange as it really helps wreck the boss quicker, which can be super important as some bosses are tough!

thanks again for all the tips guys, i did go back to it and do a bit better, but still pretty badly, except a few times where i could keep a higher level of powerup for a little bit. unlocked the easy mode, was hoping that would be more fun but as far as i could tell it's not easier it just lets you use infinite continues without checkpoints so you can get to the end of the game, so it was good to see the whole game at least. didn't find it fun, have a big list of stuff i don't like about it but no point listing them, its just not my sort of game. i did like the graphics/art though.

5 hours ago, spatular said:

thanks again for all the tips guys, i did go back to it and do a bit better, but still pretty badly, except a few times where i could keep a higher level of powerup for a little bit. unlocked the easy mode, was hoping that would be more fun but as far as i could tell it's not easier it just lets you use infinite continues without checkpoints so you can get to the end of the game, so it was good to see the whole game at least. didn't find it fun, have a big list of stuff i don't like about it but no point listing them, its just not my sort of game. i did like the graphics/art though.

I think this is a fair point. 

The game is very much a wolf in sheep’s clothing. It’s all cute, bright and colourful but the game is actually a brutal old school shooter, which people won’t really see until they actually play it. I know the original quite well so this just washed off me but as a newcomer I can imagine it as quite a shock to the system.

I am totally loving this game right now.

Can get to Level 5 on one credit pretty consistently now - found a few hidden items (use the sweep attack to find invisible stuff!)

Couple of things still to figure out:

- Some of the item boxes seem to be booby traps - is there any point to these or just better to ignore?

- I've seen footage of a move of Rocky being carried around by other racoons. How do you do this?

3 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

- I've seen footage of a move of Rocky being carried around by other racoons. How do you do this?

It's one of his specials that you can use from level 3 onwards. Hammer the fire button to trigger it, I think. Either that or hold down parry for a second.

I did it! I beat the game in one sitting (with Rocky)!

It's been such a lot of fun to figure this game out - I think stage 5 might be one of the hardest stages to figure out the spacing and timing for. Stage 6 I just overdid the special attacks. Stage 7 also feels quite difficult - but it's definitely a stage which you can run past quite a few parts and just take the hits (by this point you'll have such a large amount of hearts)

Finished the game with six lives left.

Oh well I did have this on a pre-order with Zatu but they cancelled it having no longer struck a deal to get any copies or something like that. I did wonder why it didn’t show any pre-order date when I ordered but Turtles did. 

• 4 weeks later...