Xbox (Series X | S) launch games

I've certainly seen worse launch lineups, but the fact that everything is also coming to current gen certainly takes the shine off.

I think they need to go all out showing how much better these things are on next gen. Show me next-gen destiny 2 loading times.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've certainly seen worse launch lineups, but the fact that everything is also coming to current gen certainly takes the shine off.

I think they need to go all out showing how much better these things are on next gen. Show me next-gen destiny 2 loading times.

That'll come from DF but prolly not till after launch :/ The Outer Worlds loading times from the beardy bloke video were encouraging, and when it launches on Series S/X it'll have had its download reduced as they'll have taken out a good chunk of content. That in and of itself should make loading better.

Just now, Sixkiller said:

Which ones will be on Gamepass?  Destiny and Gears of War?

Tetris Effect is, and I wanna say Yakuza but I might just be confusing that with the older ones being on there...

Probably a safe bet to say they've still got some November Game Pass announcements to make before launch too.

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

when it launches on Series S/X it'll have had its download reduced as they'll have taken out a good chunk of content. That in and of itself should make loading better.

Will it? Surely it's not loading the same data repeatedly? I thought the thing with duplicated data was just so that the hard drive could get to the content quicker, not load multiple instances of it. Have I misunderstood?

3 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

Which ones will be on Gamepass?  Destiny and Gears of War?

Tetris Effect, Gears Tactics and Destiny. New Yakuza isn't GamePass that was just the older ones.

14 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the key aspect with Xbox is that it's those launch titles and every xbox one game launched, alongside select 360 xbox games. The fact with a new console I can carry over all my current stuff with (so we are led to believe) zero hassle is great.

1 minute ago, AK Bell said:

Don't MS games tend to put their new games on gamepass on release these days?

Anything first party is on Game Pass day one, yeah. The console release of Gears Tactics (which is surprisingly good on PC) is, I think, the only 'new' first party release on console Game Pass alongside the console.

6 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Will it? Surely it's not loading the same data repeatedly? I thought the thing with duplicated data was just so that the hard drive could get to the content quicker, not load multiple instances of it. Have I misunderstood?

Wait what? I mean that the Destiny 2 footprint on the drive will be much smaller because Bungie are literally hoiking half the game out. I should imagine that when it happens on Xbox One you might have to delete everything and redownload it but on the S/X that won't be necessary as it'll be the only version on there.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Wait what? I mean that the Destiny 2 footprint on the drive will be much smaller because Bungie are literally hoiking half the game out. I should imagine that when it happens on Xbox One you might have to delete everything and redownload it but on the S/X that won't be necessary as it'll be the only version on there.

What do you mean ‘hoiking half the game out’?

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

They're 'retiring' a load of past content from Destiny because it's too much work to maintain it all basically. Nothing to do with the Xbox versions specifically, it's across all platforms

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

The planets you can visit are going to be rotated in and out of action so instead of them needing to do stuff across the entire game with each update they can focus their efforts on a couple of areas, and I guess the hope is that the quality of the content will increase when they're not spreading themselves too thinly. Have they said they'll literally be removing that chunk of data? Seems more likely it'll just be unused on the HDD waiting for it to be replaced with the next update.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

There was some talk about how games playing off spinning platter drives (as with the all the current machines) the game installs are bigger than they will be next gen because there's a lot of duplicated data. My understanding was that if you imagine the disc like a uh... ...a disc... with one piece of data that you want to load, then the disc has to spin round to access that bit and the drive head can read it. A current gen install has that piece of data installed more than once so that the drive head is never miles away from pieces of data that need to be regularly loaded. 

With the new NVME drives, there's no moving part to get into position, so they don't need to duplicate the data. 

That's how I understood it. 

Is that wrong? 

EDIT: I realise that I have multiple windows open and thought I was replying to a discussion about the loading speed of The Outer Wilds. 

27 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

assassins creed is gong to be 60 fps ...soooo...yeah

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

There was some talk about how games playing off spinning platter drives (as with the all the current machines) the game installs are bigger than they will be next gen because there's a lot of duplicated data. My understanding was that if you imagine the disc like a uh... ...a disc... with one piece of data that you want to load, then the disc has to spin round to access that bit and the drive head can read it. A current gen install has that piece of data installed more than once so that the drive head is never miles away from pieces of data that need to be regularly loaded. 

With the new NVME drives, there's no moving part to get into position, so they don't need to duplicate the data. 

That's how I understood it. 

Is that wrong? 

homer blink.gif

Just now, JPL said:

Oh right, I haven’t played it for so long now I had no idea. Are they adding in new content then, or is it just going to be a much smaller game?

Beyond light is the new content, I'm not sure what's it that though. Basically a lot of content can't be patched and needs rebuilding from the ground up, so to do that they're 'vaulting' it.

Out of that lot Yakuza and Cyberpunk for me :wub: And then everything on gamepass of course, whether it's new or still on my playlist from the months before. Together with Demon's and MM on PS5, that's already too many for me since I'll most likely be exclusively focused on Cyberpunk :lol:

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

No you replied to the right thing I think, I just have no idea what any of it means.

There was talk about next gen installs being smaller than equivalent installs on current gen because data doesn't need to be duplicated on the newer drives. I somehow focussed very hard on that and thought you were talking about that, not taking content out of destiny. 

Time to take a break from the internet and do some work, I think.