Xbox (Series X | S) launch games

Eighthours

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Oi, DS launched with Wario Ware Touched, Mr Driller and Zoo Keeper. We'll have no bad mouthing that line up, thankyouverymuch.

It's really difficult to remember now there was a time where a well implemented match 3 game was actually a thing worth having rather than every 2nd mobile game.

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Was Halo the only genuinely exceptional launch title for a non-Nintendo console ever?

Maybe Altered Beast :lol: 

Project Gotham 1 and 3 were launch titles.

Rallysport Challenge.

Ridge Racer.

Tekken.

Conversely, fuck off with Altered Beast! :D

I wonder if they might go for a blockbuster EA game to launch the tie up with EA play as well.  Maybe FIFA in Europe & Madden in the US, or even Star Wars Squadrons?  There must be a reason why a supposed AAA game does not have a full price RRP.

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

I wonder if they might go for a blockbuster EA game to launch the tie up with EA play as well.  Maybe FIFA in Europe & Madden in the US, or even Star Wars Squadrons?  There must be a reason why a supposed AAA game does not have a full price RRP.

Squadrons? I’m not sure it will even be an AA title, it’s definitely not AAA. The single player is going to be pretty short and the focus is a probably-limited multiplayer.

I still very much hope it’ll be the best thing ever. But it’d be a tiny release if it wasn’t Star Wars (and also a follow-up to the best games ever).

Wow how times have changed. Where is the killer "you can only play this on our shiny new box" mantra gone? Not disputing the games aren't great but.... Where is the incentive to buy? I guess in a way it's a similar thing to DVD and Blu-ray. This will play your stuff better. But if you're happy with DVD and just enjoy watching the content stick with that. Very different to usual console launches.

I actually quite like the idea of a console being just a box you play content on. Like a DVD player that gets the odd improvement but you can still buy a Blu-ray player if you want later and the games you have will just play a bit better. Very much like PC too with its scalable architecture and games. 

14 hours ago, bear said:

People talking about "exceptional" 360 launch games and not mentioning Geometry Wars. :hmm:

I remember getting my Xbox 360 and playing it on a 14” CRT - the same way I used to play all my other games and wondering what the fuss was with GW. 

Then I harassed my dad into buying an HDTV. I had no idea what we were doing or what to look for in a TV, and we ended up with a 736p TV somehow, but mercifully, it was a plasma and playing this for the first time on it was like:

8iD9XdH.jpg

14 hours ago, bear said:

People talking about "exceptional" 360 launch games and not mentioning Geometry Wars. :hmm:

The Vita had Everybody's Golf. 

Xbox Series X: Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved HDR Mapped edition, hopefully.

though it does look stunning on an OLED anyway, and I doubt it’ll actually be possible to tell the difference.

It’s a shame that console manufacturers  have moved on from believing that AAA launch titles are essential. Xbox One/PS4 launch was complete pish too. This one feels like the consoles are launching before any games are ready. MS had an abysmal generation for first party titles, I’d have thought that out of all those studios they acquired that they would have got some working on stuff for day one. 

17 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It’s a shame that console manufacturers  have moved on from believing that AAA launch titles are essential.

They haven’t.

18 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Xbox One/PS4 launch was complete pish too. This one feels like the consoles are launching before any games are ready.

Pretty much the same as every console launch then (excluding Nintendo).

19 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

MS had an abysmal generation for first party titles, I’d have thought that out of all those studios they acquired that they would have got some working on stuff for day one. 

They’ve got a few on the go, but those AAA titles that you think they’ve given up on take 5+ years of development, so will start to come in after the first year of the new gen.

There’s nothing to worry about. It’ll all come together soon enough.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

They haven’t.

Pretty much the same as every console launch then (excluding Nintendo).

They’ve got a few on the go, but those AAA titles that you think they’ve given up on take 5+ years of development, so will start to come in after the first year of the new gen.

There’s nothing to worry about. It’ll all come together soon enough.

Not exactly a major worry, but it would nice seeing something running on the system at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Not exactly a major worry, but it would nice seeing something running on the system at this point. 

They’ve shown loads of stuff running on the S and it all looks great, so I’m not worried about how things run on the X.

Did you see the beard guy video, or do I have to activate @Mortis?

16 minutes ago, JPL said:

They’ve shown loads of stuff running on the S and it all looks great, so I’m not worried about how things run on the X.

Did you see the beard guy video, or do I have to activate @Mortis?

Sorry I must have missed it in the avalanche of news we’ve had this week, does it look good? 

Plenty for me to play. Plus I have a bunch of older gamepass stuff to play since I sold my X a few months back. 

Looking forward to jumping into Destiny 2 again. 

Other priorities:

Forza Horizon 4 (Can't wait to play this 4k60 with added improvements)

Valhalla interested me but Ubisoft can fuck off.

Cyberpunk a bit later is what everyone will be playing. 

6 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I've been out of the Microsoft gaming zone since the Xbox 360, but I'm completely fucking lost now with what console is what. They should be congratulated on making their hardware naming as confusing as their software!

You are on a gaming forum. Talking on a topic where everyone is chatting about the consoles. 

And it's been talked about everywhere. How can you be confused lol.

I understand if you have read or watched no gaming news in the last week though :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how Forza Horizon 4 looks on the Series X. By that time I would have played three different versions of it

1. Launch Xbone - Looks bloody fantastic, a few hitches occasionally but runs lovely, dont need to get rid of old reliable just yet.

2. One X - Wow, its like literally playing another game, it looks so unbelievably good, what was I doing before!

3. Series X - ???? (Mind Blown) 

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

I've been out of the Microsoft gaming zone since the Xbox 360, but I'm completely fucking lost now with what console is what. They should be congratulated on making their hardware naming as confusing as their software!

They have 2 new consoles.

Xbox Series X - 4K beast. Most powerful console for this coming gen. £449.

Xbox Series S - Plays everything the same as the Series X, just at a lower resolution. £249.

Hope the clears up this extremely confusing console naming situation! Let me know how you’re struggling with their games and I’ll try to help.

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

They have 2 new consoles.

Xbox Series X - 4K beast. Most powerful console for this coming gen. £449.

Xbox Series S - Plays everything the same as the Series X, just at a lower resolution. £249.

Hope the clears up this extremely confusing console naming situation! Let me know how you’re struggling with their games and I’ll try to help.

The guy just asked a question! Surely there's a way of helping people that are confused with stuff like this without the shitty snark?