Xbox (Series X | S) launch games

Eighthours

31 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Its pretty confusing to most people, with the exception of xbox fans.

I’m genuinely concerned about most people then. It’s a good thing that no one thinking about buying a games console at launch, while posting about it on the internet, is able to use google.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles?xr=shellnav

admittedly it’s a shit website.

21 hours ago, Phil said:

Your receiver won't support the correct spec HDMI to support either 4K or 120fps. Or variable refresh rate for that matter. I think Denon have some new receivers that support 120fps and VRR now, but IIRC they only have 1 compatible input :/

Yamaha have some new models out later this year with something like 4-8 compatible inputs, so I'm going to be looking at one of those to replace my existing receiver.

You may be aware of this but you can use ARC to connect your existing amplifier so your TV acts as a video router. This has a few advantages, you don't need to buy a new amplifier, there's no latency introduced by an amp and your TV can control your amp seemlessly. You can still use your amp for all older HDMI 1.4 devices. Admittedly this only makes sense if you have something like a newer LG OLED which has multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs - in my case it means I have 3 free HDMI 2.1 inputs and 7 HDMI 1.4 legacy inputs on my lovely but aging Yamaha amp.

Apologies for dragging the conversation back to amps but I figure it might be useful information for some. 

On 11/09/2020 at 11:41, JPL said:

I think it has to be a newer one with HDMI 2.1.

On 11/09/2020 at 12:43, Eighthours said:

Correct. It's only on much newer tellies - for example, Samsung only introduced it on a few of this year's models and none of their 2019 range has it. And even then they've been a bit stingy and only put it on one of the HDMI ports.

This isn’t strictly true.

So, the top end Samsung 2019 models, like the Q70, 80 and 90R only have HDMI 2.0, but will still do VRR, ALLM, HDR, 4K and 120hz, however the actual hardware (or possibly HDMI ports?) don’t have the bandwidth for full 2.1

It’s worth nothing that the Samsung’s I mentioned above can’t do HDR and 4K and 120hz all at the same time.

To further confuse things, I believe there can be TVs that have HDMI 2.1 ports but don’t support some of the features, and to confuse it even further, some TVs, for example from Sony have the hardware and have been ‘promised’ the features in a firmware update, but haven’t got it yet (bit of a gamble on a £1k+ set)

I’m hoping that the new Nvidia graphics cards coming out in the next week or so mean we have some sources and websites like rtings can start testing and updating review and specs

8 hours ago, 5R7 said:

The Falconeer is being made by one dude, cant get much more indie than that lol

Crimson Skies vibes and artwork remincist of Torchlight according to Eurogamer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-26-rezzed-digital-the-falconeer-is-absolutely-majestic

Not sure its a Gamepass title but it does have a nice looking day one edition available on Series X/S launch day

https://www.thefalconeer.com

23 hours ago, Stanley said:

triple AAA

I look forward to playing the upcoming Triple AAA games on my 4KKKK tv.

Spoiler

Just kidding - I don't have a 4K tv. I'm still rocking a 1080pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp display.

On 12/09/2020 at 11:16, Stanley said:

I know I’m pretty lazy but does anyone have a handy list of lower tier or indie games to coming to Xbox over the launch period? 

The indie game pass titles are usually announced on the month of release, unless they're popular. You'll need to wait for late Oct or Nov 1st for the Nov game pass Indies.

• 2 weeks later...

Another game for the launch list @Eighthours(that I havent heard of) - Bright Memory, crazy looking Chinese FPS

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/bright-memory-confirmed-as-xbox-series-x-launch-title-ahead-of-2021-bright-memory-infinite-release/

Apparently there is a Ray Traced version coming to next gen consoles early next year as well.

14 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Another game for the launch list @Eighthours(that I havent heard of) - Bright Memory, crazy looking Chinese FPS

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/bright-memory-confirmed-as-xbox-series-x-launch-title-ahead-of-2021-bright-memory-infinite-release/

Apparently there is a Ray Traced version coming to next gen consoles early next year as well.

Think caught my eye during the big show earlier this year and i think i'll buy it on release, looks like a lot of crazy low budget high shiny fun

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Whoopsie!!!!!

Screenshot_20200922-213316.png

Gonna be a lot of upset parents on Twitter come Christmas Day this year, I think, after their kids' excitement rapidly turns to disappointment on unwrapping an XBOne S.

I'm baffled why the new gen is not called the XB2 - unless MS reckon that people will assume that, in Spinal Tap style, an XB2 is less than half as powerful as a PS5.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

But people will still insist the naming isn't confusing.

Do they?  Surely everyone agrees the naming is massively confusing.  

I understand in terms of power it goes:

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series X

It is the replication on the S and X designators on the new console that makes it confusing. 

They would have been better off with something like this:

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series A

Xbox Series B

And then future iterations of the Series console could have continued that system. 

I've been thinking about what to preorder (if anything due to Game Pass and exisiting Bone games..) and was wondering which launch games are confirmed for Smart Delivery.

For those of us who still buy physical, this could mean a bit of a saving, by picking up the Xbox One version of the game rather than the Series version.

Now, as I understood it, there shouldn't be 2 versions of these games but some retailers are listing games at 2 price points...

I went through the list in the first post, and compared it to the Smart delivery list here and added a note:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/optimized

(Smart Delivery confirmed) means you should be able to buy an Xbox One version, possibly for less and it'll play the same on a Series.

(Smart Delivery - NO!) means you should avoid the Xbox One version (where available), unless you don't want to play it on a Series console, or you want to buy it twice (I'm looking at you NBA 2K21)

For example...

You can buy Dirt 5 for Bone here for 41 quid:

https://www.base.com/buy/product/dirt-5-xbox-one/dgc-dirt5x1.htm

Or you can buy.... well, the same thing from the same shop here for series x for 60 quid:

https://www.base.com/buy/product/dirt-5-xbox-series-x/dgc-dirt5xsx.htm

LAUNCH DAY (NOVEMBER 10)
Assassin's Creed: Valhalla   (Smart Delivery confirmed)
Bright Memory  (Smart Delivery - NO!)
Destiny 2: Beyond Light (Game Pass) - (Smart Delivery confirmed for Destiny 2, not sure if that means Beyond Light?)
Dirt 5 (Smart Delivery confirmed)
The Falconeer
Gears Tactics (Game Pass) (Smart Delivery confirmed - though not on the page linked above)
NBA 2K21 (Smart Delivery - NO!)
Tetris Effect: Connected (Game Pass) (Smart Delivery confirmed)
Watch Dogs: Legion  (Smart Delivery confirmed)
Yakuza: Like A Dragon (Smart Delivery confirmed)

LAUNCH WINDOW
November 13

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War 

November 19
Cyberpunk 2077 (supposedly a slightly enhanced last gen version working through backwards compatibility, true next gen version out next year)

December or TBC
The Ascent (Smart Delivery confirmed)
Call of the Sea (Smart Delivery confirmed)
The Medium (Game Pass) (Smart Delivery - NO!)
Scorn (Smart Delivery - NO!)