Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Remake

mdn2

14 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Was the original really that good? I remember playing it at the time and being a bit meh after a few hours. 

Well it completely redefined how every third person game controlled, at the time. The actual climbing mechanics for all your Tomb Raiders and Uncharteds etc still essentially follow that template now. On top of that though it was just very, very charming and was one of the first instances of the now commonplace chatty AI partner, along with Alyx.

The original game hasn't aged that badly I thought?

Honestly not sure this is a visual upgrade. Yeah the graphics are technically better, but it does look a bit charmless by comparison. Maybe there will be some quality of life improvements - I'm sure they could polish the camera system, and some of the fights less of a slog. Generally though, doesn't look like a compelling upgrade.

Oh and yes the original game was fab. I feel like a lot of games since have tried to "fix" issues it had which were actually strengths. For instance the almost total separation between combat and puzzle / plaforming sections. Sometimes it's nice for a game to slow down a bit, and show some faith in the player's attention span.

7 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

The Sands of Time had a lovely dream-like ambience to it, very similar in that respect to Ico which I'm sure wasn't a total coincidence.

Which was lost in the PS3 port which removed most of the sand effects which game it that dream like quality. The rewind mechanic worked really well and helped remove frustrating deaths. 

The original Sands of Time is on GOG but I recall there was an issue with the PC version. It's been awhile but iirc correctly it doesn't have the hazy dreamlike filter/bloom effect thingy or something, making it look way too sterile. Just outright wrong if you remember the original console version. Also, again iirc, the controll support was a bit fiddly - that was how it was in PC land back then.

The version on Xbox One is the original Xbox version however, which looked and played exactly like the PS2 version. In fact back in the day I recall it looking and performing a bit better due to the power difference. So the current BC version is exactly what you remember, but in 4k with some nice AA. It's wonderful, at the moment the definitive version. ALSO there's an Ubisoft sale on right now on Xbox so you can get it for just a few quid. Highly recommended.

Forgotten Sands is also on BC and is wonderful, but iirc not enhanced. So just the 360 version as is. Underrated game and it still plays really well (Sands of Time, being so old, sometimes has a few fiddly moments due to it being a product of its time. Forgotten Sands plays more like a modern game). Also recommended. In fact it might be better now than it was back then because they simply don't make em like this anymore. It's all Uncharted auto-climb or Tomb Raider push up to advance/follow the marker. Forgotten Sands plays well but also lets you figure it out and think a bit, giving you the exhilaration and satisfaction you simply don't get from pushing up to make Drake spiderman his way up a building.

17 minutes ago, MDY said:

Forgotten Sands still looks nice for a PS3/360 era game.. I loved how they used freezing water in time mechanic to make walls/columns etc..

popfs_03.jpg

Screenshot44978.png

466394-prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sa

I seem to have completely missed this. 

I’ve played all the other games since Sands of Time (but didn’t finish two thrones or Warrior Within). 

Is this good? And is that Xbox One X or PC? This is way more exciting than this awful looking remake. 

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I seem to have completely missed this. 

I’ve played all the other games since Sands of Time (but didn’t finish two thrones or Warrior Within). 

Is this good? And is that Xbox One X or PC? This is way more exciting than this awful looking remake. 

Sometimes I suspect everyone has me on ignore here. It's on Xbox One backwards compatibility, and thus will also be playable on the series S/X. Not enhanced, sadly, but still looks and plays great. The only sequel that came close to capturing the magic of Sands of Time, yes including the original direct sequels which went full Spainkiller edgelord. So you could also say "the only Prince of Persia SoT sequel that even attempted to capture the style of Sands of Time"

It's essentially more Sands of Time, it doesn't shake up the formula a great deal and the story isn't as compelling, but it's still a good game - and it's under a fiver on XBox..

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Prince-of-Persia-The-Forgotten-Sands/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025553083e

..and under two quid on Steam.. :lol:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/33320/Prince_of_Persia_The_Forgotten_Sands/

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sometimes I suspect everyone has me on ignore here. It's on Xbox One backwards compatibility, and thus will also be playable on the series S/X. Not enhanced, sadly, but still looks and plays great. The only sequel that came close to capturing the magic of Sands of Time, yes including the original direct sequels which went full Spainkiller edgelord .

Sorry, I read the first half of your post and thought it was just about SoT. 

I might see if there’s a PC version before I go for the Xbox version. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sometimes I suspect everyone has me on ignore here. It's on Xbox One backwards compatibility, and thus will also be playable on the series S/X. Not enhanced, sadly, but still looks and plays great. The only sequel that came close to capturing the magic of Sands of Time, yes including the original direct sequels which went full Spainkiller edgelord. So you could also say "the only Prince of Persia SoT sequel that even attempted to capture the style of Sands of Time"

Forgotten Sands is probably the second best game in the series and really feels like the SoT sequel we didn’t really get (it even inserts itself in the plot line pre Warrior Within post SoT). It is basically more Sands is time with some bells and whistles but it’s a very good game if you like a good platformer.

The completely different Wii version is also worth playing.

I have a real soft spot for the 2008 reboot, which to my mind was very underrated but even the two mainline sequels had their moments.

Was really excited by the prospect of a remake but never imagined for a second it would look like this!!!

19 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Forgotten Sands is probably the second best game in the series and really feels like the SoT sequel we didn’t really get (it even inserts itself in the plot line pre Warrior Within post SoT). It is basically more Sands is time with some bells and whistles but it’s a very good game if you like a good platformer.

The completely different Wii version is also worth playing.

I have a real soft spot for the 2008 reboot, which to my mind was very underrated but even the two mainline sequels had their moments.

Was really excited by the prospect of a remake but never imagined for a second it would look like this!!!

I've never played the Wii version, but yeah after Sands of Time I would rate Forgotten Sands as the second best. The 2008 game also has its charms but it something completely different. I'd rate Warrior Within and Two Thrones below those three, for anyone who loved Sands of Time, Forgotten Sands is the real, proper, and only sequel.

15 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Hope the Switch version has the awful audio quality from the GameCube release: ‘I’ll brart the brory brom here brext brime’.

Switch version?

This new version of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will arrive for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on 21st January, and is playable on both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X via backwards compatibility.

That's according to Eurogamer. 

Sands of Time was bloody incredible, setup a lot of new things for other games to follow (for better or worse), including the ‘go on, have another go’ mechanic.

Forgotten Sands was good too, and I also loved the 2008 game. It took a few retries to get into it, but collecting the orbs became as impulsive as it was in Crackdown.

Anyway, this looks toilet.

1 minute ago, bear said:

Switch version?

That's according to Eurogamer. 

It's been leaked that the Switch version is coming later from Ubisoft themselves. Probably going for all those Prince of Persia fans who don't think this looks terrible and who want to double dip for portability.