Riders Republic

djbhammer

Visually it looks fantastic, but its slippery too-fast arcade physics and presentation are a massive turn-off. Watching that bit of first-person at sim speeds (2:25) highlights what we could've had. Arcade takes on Red Bull events are ten a penny, but we've never had a sim.

“I can't even begin to express how technical that was” is there to explain to players why he's riding so ‘slowly’, when to me that's the only bit that isn't egregious.

Back in the day we had this, and yes it had gnarly metal presentation and rubbish camera-locked cornering, but at least its physics were rooted in reality somewhat.

• 4 months later...

I watchd the gameplay trailer at the top of the thread (with the sound off) and it looked decent. First I heard of this was the news it was delayed. 

I generally don't have a problem with Ubisoft games although that might be down to only having played about 5 of them in the past 10 years... Ubisoft the company on the other hand is an entirely different kettle of gross fish.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this when it's given away on the Epic store in 2025...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I still think this'd be amazing with sim physics — the game of Point Break, but I checked I wasn't running at 1.5 speed at 1:40.

Even San Andreas conveyed a greater sense of jeopardy when riding near cliff edges. Without that tension the tricks have no emotional payoff, serving as rote interactive filler during races. It's caught in this horrible up-to-11 half-reality, neither authentic to the sports, nor arcade enough to take more engaging flights of fancy.

Has its cake and sits on it, marketing legs akimbo after the Fortnite kids and older teens.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was going to be more about the bikes but it looks to be Steep plus bikes. Steep was brilliant though, an amazing environment to explore and this looks even better with more varied terrain.

American national parks are just absolutely incredible. I’ve been to a bunch on my travels and they are some of the greatest things I’ve ever done. This apparently has a freeroam mode. I’m tempted to by it just to wander around places like Bryce again. 

• 1 month later...

I got invited onto the beta. Seems I can share the wealth to 5 people if anyone wants in, you need to friend 'milko9000' on the ubisoft thing. It only runs from 23-25th August though.

13 minutes ago, milko said:

I got invited onto the beta. Seems I can share the wealth to 5 people if anyone wants in, you need to friend 'milko9000' on the ubisoft thing. It only runs from 23-25th August though.

What format is this on?

14 minutes ago, milko said:

Just added you there, if you can invite me I would be much obliged.

17 minutes ago, milko said:

Yes please if on PS5.